• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, wizards fight like fighters?

Asmor

First Post
As has been said, if they both just whack something with their weapon, yeah, they're about the same.

However, as far as weapons go, that's all the wizard can do. The fighter, on the other hand, can cleave, hitting two people at once; deal damage even on a miss; deal more damage; trip his opponent; etc.

So basically, instead of a numbers advantage, the fighter has a tactical advantage.

It's also worth noting that I don't think the wizard has any powers which attack AC, though I haven't studied them very closely.

baberg

First Post
Asmor said:
It's also worth noting that I don't think the wizard has any powers which attack AC, though I haven't studied them very closely.
I just did a quick scan through and nothing jumped out at me as attacking AC, but something did jump out at me - Wizard Attack 15: Prismatic Beams. Int vs. Fortitude, Reflex, Will. Make one attack roll and compare against all defenses. Any that hit have specific damage and an ongoing effect, each that has to be individually saved against. And it's a Close Burst 5 only attacking enemies.

Me likey.

Rechan

Adventurer
Also, if the Fighter has Heavy Weapon Opportunist, he can use an at-will doing one of those basic attacks on an Opportunity Attack.

So, let's say an enemy he's marked moves away, he can use Cleave to hit him AND his buddy.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
baberg said:
Agreed, but the original poster stated that in his initial criteria for "the same chance".

For some reason I didn't notice that in the original post.

Still, it is the most significant element for differentiating BAB.

The real answer to the question in the title is (as others have said), no, wizards don't fight like fighters because they don't have the exploits that fighters have - and it is the exploits that make a difference.

Cheers

hong

WotC's bitch
Aaron said:
Let's suppose a wizard and a fighter have the same Str score.

No, let's not suppose that.

Does that mean that, at the same level, they have the same chance of hitting an opponent AC with a weapon attack?

I still can't realize what's behind getting rid of the different babs.

BAB is now a much smaller part of the overall character package.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aaron said:
Let's suppose a wizard and a fighter have the same Str score.

Does that mean that, at the same level, they have the same chance of hitting an opponent AC with a weapon attack?

I still can't realize what's behind getting rid of the different babs.
Fighters get a +1 bonus to attacks with either two-handed or one-handed weapons (chosen at character creation).

But mostly, a Fighter will be attacking with a melee power, such as the at-will one that gives you a +2 to your attack roll... and will thus be more accurate.

Cheers, -- N

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
baberg said:
Agreed, but the original poster stated that in his initial criteria for "the same chance".

Well, yes, a Wizard who is exactly the same as a fighter (same strength, weapon, race, and for some reason both have declined to take any feats or powers) will have the same chance at a crappy basic attack.

Then again, if the wizard is exactly the same as the fighter in every way, perhaps the player has picked the wrong class. I've never seen a wizard that's the same as or equal to a fighter in those key areas. Why does this hypothetical wizard have 18 STR, a greatsword, heavy armour, proficiency in all weapons, and lots of hit points, and why does the hypothetical fighter not have any martial feats or exploits, and why is he wearing robes and wielding a twig?

It's a silly comparison. Yes, if in some inexplicable world they are built exactly the same way and have identical attributes, they will have the same chance of performing a given task.

Of course, all that totally ignores that BAB isn't that rleevant to the comparison any more; it's the exploits that are. Wizard can't do cool accurate or damaging strikes with a weapon; fighter can't cast spells.

OR, to REALLYprove the point - take the pregen wizard and the pregen fighter, stick 'em in a duel where they can only attack with weapons (no wizard spells) and see how long the wizard lasts...

Last edited:

Njall

Explorer
Well, the high level powers from the fighter's list we've seen deal x[W] damage, IIRC...that means a high level wizard with a decent strength score can deal the damage a fighter dealt at 1st level at best.

Aaron

First Post
Many of you cited factors like Strength, weapon proficiency, feats, special bonus and so on.

But those parameters exist in 3.5 too, in addition to the bab difference.

Remove ads