• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So You're Just Not "Feeling It" for 5e - What ARE you excited about?

I've been a bit disconnected not only from D&D but from RPGs as a whole the last year or two. My group's play frequency has become very sporadic, and I've got a lot of other things on my plate to distract me (and this isn't bad; many of them are other neglected hobbies that I'm getting back into again after a long time of not really being involved in them like I'd have liked to.)

That said, I'm excited about Microlite20. It's not exactly new, but there's just so much stuff you can do with it.

Pathfinder in general is way to codified for my taste, but I like borrowing Pathfinder innovations and porting them into my house-ruled d20 games. I'm very curious to see what the new 20-level classes in the Advanced Class Guide.

I'm excited to get into some Star Wars gaming as new movies are on the horizon, and I've really enjoyed the run of The Clone Wars TV series. I'm actually playing in a d20 Star Wars game now, but I'd like to run one (using a different system.)

I haven't really been very aware of The One Ring, but since Middle-earth has been my favorite novel since forever, I'm curious about digging into that.

A couple of guys in our group also supported a Horror on the Orient Express update on Kickstarter, and that's likely to be the next game we play (assuming it ships on time to support us playing it next). I'm excited about that too.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
These days I'm primarily interested in games Powered By the Apocalypse (Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Monster Hearts, Worlds In Peril) and GMC revisions of the World of Darkness games. I'm still in love with Blood and Smoke and Demon: The Descent. I'm still resisting the urge to get Demon via PoD rather than waiting for my Deluxe editions to come through post. I'm still fairly interested in Exalted 3e whenever it is finished, but I'm delaying judgement until I actually have some firsthand experience.

I'm also still a huge Burning Wheel and Marvel Heroic Role Playing fan, but there isn't really anything new for either coming down the pipeline.

DM Howard

Explorer
Hackmaster is currently what I'm really excited to play. I really enjoy the character creation process, but then again I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.

I'm also very interested in the One Ring RPG, and never picked it up when it first came out because I thought it was a "funny dice" system like Edge of the Empire and Warhammer Roleplay. (I just can't get excited about those mechanics for whatever reason.)

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I originally ignored the sample character sheet for 5e on the front page because I wasn't interested. Having actually looked at there are some things I do like: returning movement to feet instead of "squares", some of the stuff on the right "sidebars". But there isn't enough that I like for me to be interested, especially keeping alignments while also having motivations as part of those right hand sidebars. One OR the other, not both. I like that while the skill list appears short, none of the skill names are ridiculous. It's still not enough to interest me.

I like Forbidden Kingdoms as a semi-modern D&D 3.X setting, and Diomin for the more fantasy aspect.

Darth Quiris

First Post
While I am interested in 5E there are indeed other games I am really interested in...

To top the list ~

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion from FFG.
the new Edge of the Empire sourcebook coming out.

Then the rest in no particular order ~

Firefly RPG/Heroic Roleplaying (Cortex Plus stuff)
Legend of the Five Rings: Sword & Fan and Book of the Void
Fantasy Hero Complete/Champions Complete
Atomic Robo/Mindjammer 2e (Fate Core stuff)
Shadowrun 5th Edition
Paragons & Prowlers
Supers Revised Edition
Desolation (it originally came out in 2008 but I just discovered it and it looks so amazing I have to buy it and its new to me).
Earthdawn 4E
Hackmaster 5E Game Master Guide

That's just a few games on my radar that I want to invest in and keep up on. There are other ones that will be mentioned by other people here in this thread that will also appeal to me so my list is by no means exhausted right now and I reserve the right to insert below any other games that I might otherwise want to list. B-)

Darth Quiris

First Post
Can we just permanently sticky this post, forever, for why Savage Worlds is so awesome? ;):cool:

So what differentiates HERO from GURPS?

Count me as somebody who'd much rather play Hero System than Savage Worlds despite all the appearance of advantages that Savage Worlds seems to have over Hero System. ;) :angel:

As for what differentiates Hero from Gurps... on the surface both seem very similar and both are point based character customization rpgs with a lot of player options but for me it's how the math of the games work. Hero System makes a lot more sense to me than Gurps does and Hero System has a much more robust Power creation system than Gurps, IMO. In the end I understand and grok Hero where I am confused with Gurps.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm pretty excited about some of the new Star Wars: Edge of The Empire material.

There are also a few new GURPS 4th Edition pdfs I want to pick up.

I AM quite excited by the new D&D in the sense that I think it draws a line over the last few divisive years of the hobby as a whole, and it’s nice to see the game return a little to more simple roleplaying game playing principles. But……

…I’ve been excited by other games for years now, and this year is no exception. The ones I am eagerly awaiting new books and supplements for include RuneQuest 6 and Glorantha (Guides are in the post hopefully) with a heap of cool settings due to come out soon, along with Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green (new editions) and Traveller (TV pilot, Beginners box and new 2300AD material). The new editions of Cubicle 7s Doctor Who and The One Ring are fine too, as are FFGs new Dark Heresy and Star Wars lines. Flatly, the rpg hobby looks to be in rude health.

The major game that got me buzzed earlier this year was the 20th Anniversary Edition of Mage: The Ascension though. It looks gorgeous and it’ll be the first truly complete version - which again should draw the line under some of the difficult flame wars from the past.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads