D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister reaches 1.0!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
When I restarted I went with a battle domain cleric, that channel divinity stun attack is amazingly good. It locked down a legendary enemy turning a hard fight into an easy one.

I'm hoping the game expands beyond 10th level, I'm also excited to see what additional campaigns the community comes up with, at least I'm hoping that there will be community campaigns, it will help immensely with the longevity of the game.

Thinks I've found out about spells when playing. Evards black tentacles is incredible which shouldn't be a surprise since I've seen entangle lock down my awesome boss monster (not sure if the damage was triggering each round, but the lockdown really helped in the final battle). Lightning bolt is a lot better than people give it credit for, the line is often just as good or better as the fireball radius.

My only wish for my last game is that I found a primed longsword to craft a frostburn longsword. Got the recipe and ingredients early on but no primed longsword for enchanting and the guy that sells primed weapons didn't seem to have one.

If I have one complaint about the classes, it's that Fighters really get the shaft in this game. Since Tactical Adventures didn't have the full D&D license, they couldn't include the Battle Master and Eldritch Knight. And the subclasses they came up with to replace those aren't the best. On top of that, they had to come up with their own feats, and the lack of the -5/+10 feats in this game also hurts the Fighter more than anyone. Without such feats, that Action Surge doesn't have nearly the payoff it does in a 5e game.

The Paladin and even (gasp!) the Ranger are both just much, much more effective than the Fighter in Solasta.

It doesn't help that while the Fighter's new subclasses kinda suck, one of the Paladin's new Oaths (Tirmar) is hilariously overpowered.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Part off that is how the favoured enemy system works in the game. As you learn more about certain creatures that match your favoured enemy, the ranger deals more damage, I thought that was quite a cool addition, though I wouldn't want to track that in a regular game.

If I have one complaint about the classes, it's that Fighters really get the shaft in this game. Since Tactical Adventures didn't have the full D&D license, they couldn't include the Battle Master and Eldritch Knight. And the subclasses they came up with to replace those aren't the best. On top of that, they had to come up with their own feats, and the lack of the -5/+10 feats in this game also hurts the Fighter more than anyone. Without such feats, that Action Surge doesn't have nearly the payoff it does in a 5e game.

The Paladin and even (gasp!) the Ranger are both just much, much more effective than the Fighter in Solasta.

It doesn't help that while the Fighter's new subclasses kinda suck, one of the Paladin's new Oaths (Tirmar) is hilariously overpowered.
I agree. I also found humans to be lacking as a race. That is because the variant human is not an option. Somewhat odd since feats are in the game. You can only play the basic human. Which is, well, basic. Light and vision are a big issue in the game so the human lack of darkvision is also a problem.

Last edited:

The Mountaineer is okay if you don't mind being locked into sword-and-board style, but the Spellblade has no spells that synergise with fighting. What the Solasta fighters are good for is picking up out of combat feats like Lockbreaker and Manipulator which let them be a rogue-replacement or party face. The champion's bonus to jumping and climbing makes it slightly less useless than it's PnP counterpart.

I agree. I also found humans to be lacking as a race. That is because the variant human is not an option. Somewhat odd since feats are in the game. You can only play the basic human. Which is, well, basic. Light and vision is a big issue in the game so the human lack of darkvision is also a problem.
Half elves are horribly overpowered, and if I had been in the position of inventing a couple of new subraces I would have made sure I included a "strong guy" and "smart guy" in the mix. Instead we have a whole bunch of dex guys.

Half elves are horribly overpowered, and if I had been in the position of inventing a couple of new subraces I would have made sure I included a "strong guy" and "smart guy" in the mix. Instead we have a whole bunch of dex guys.
I had the urge to make a party of four half-elves in Solasta, lol. But I resisted and only had one in the party.

Of course, in 5E tabletop half-elves are one of the strongest races. So I suppose Solasta is being faithful to the 5E source material.

GreyLord

Legend
I"ve started it. My impressions thus far...

I'll say this is the game that recreates 5e the BEST on computer yet. It will be hard to beat. It is GREAT for a 5e CRPG (even if it's only based off the SRD).

Are there any plans to have any more classes (or is it just me that can only access Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard and Rogue) added?

What they've done is TERRIFIC. I'd say anyone who likes 5e and Computer games should try this one out!

Are there any plans to have any more classes (or is it just me that can only access Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard and Rogue) added?
Sorcerer is apparently intended as DLC. I have to admit, I dunno why. I can't think of a less-important or meaningful class when they've already got Wizard. Maybe it's because it's basically just a spin-off of the Wizard? It'll be easy to code.

Personally I've found Solasta a mixed bag. The race/class choices are uninspired, for the most part. I have no idea why they felt the need to add more DEX options to the base races lol but apparently they did. The subclasses range from the OP to the dubious-as-hell. The way they did skills is a bit confusing but maybe works better than normal D&D in some ways? Their implementation of Disengage is even worse than BG3. I don't accept that I can't "push" something that I can melee attack because it's "too far away" when it's clinging to a cliff edge in front of me.

But the UI is a lot better than BG3, and generally the combat seems to work in a much cleaner and more precise way which feels more like D&D, and there are a lot more "straight fights".

I don't think it's stellar, but... it's on Xbox Game Pass (on PC), so if you already have that, definitely try it out.

Remove ads