D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

Thematically, I'm not a fan of this. We already have a caster, the warlock, that's pretty much defined by having a unique cantrip. This feels like they've given up on giving the sorcerer an indentity some other way, so they just copy a shtick that already works.

I've always felt that the sorcerers thing is that they cast the same kind of spells as wizards, but their raw magic connection means they can manipulate the magic in ways that should be impossible.

Ditch warlock and roll some of its stuff into sorcerer.
Wild magic as an idea is cool but it's wierd to run and then a Fireball arises and the whole party die.

Horwath

Legend
I like it. I wonder if this means that the Wild Magic sorcerer subclass will be switched from being a subclass and cannibalized into the new revised Sorcerer chassis.
I would hope not.

D&D does not need any more RNG mechanics.

If someone wants to have dumb-luck-sorcerer, it can be a subclass or a feat to chose, not a base class feature

I like wild magic sorcerer as a concept by themselves. A concept which I'd never want to play personally but that I understand others do enjoy. They're like bards in that respect for me.

What I'd hate would be forcing that onto every sorcerer.

Staffan

Legend
I wasn't around for the 5e playtest, but I don't get the impression that's a view that only a few people have.
The playtest sorcerer was... weird. I don't recall the specifics, but basically as they expended spells (or "sorcery points"?) they got physical buffs flavored as turning draconic. So basically they'd start the day as casters and end up as martials. It was an interesting concept, but I think it came too late in the playtest cycle to develop properly, and instead they went back to the fairly basic sorcerer we have now.

I think an elemental subclass would be a smart move. Older folks may roll their eyes, but being able to push the PHB across the table to a new player and say "yes, you can play Elsa from Frozen" would be a big deal for far more new players than I think many people realize. I've had to field that question at least three times.
I would love it but I wont expect it... the cold never bothered me anyway

I think the thing for the sorcerer is that they should be able to do some extra things, based on how they're innately magical. But what that is might be harder to define.

I guess they could make Chaos Bolt into a cantrip, if it's up the Sorcerer's signature now, now that Eldritch Blast is without a doubt the Warlock's signature.
tasha's had other ways to spend sorcery pts...I think one was a magical bonus to rolls. I think that was a better way to go

I will add, I think the Sorcerer should have risks they can take, and maaaaaybe even things that can force them to save vs losing control in some way.

The Sorcerer should be able to risk losing control and blowing up in order to go absolutely bat crap nova, or casting two spells together, or concentrating on two spells, or temporarily splitting yourself into two yous that are both casting spells and whatever but every round your soul is trying to pull you back together and it hurts.

Because you are not a mage. You are magic. You are a living conduit for the fundemental power of the multiverse.
I don't mind the losing control part. But even that losing control should be on a subclass or easily flavoured theme. Not turning pink or into a potted plant.

A fire themed sorcerer should be at risk of burning themselves and others around them. Not accidently blowing lavender scented bubbles out of their ears.

Remove ads