• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Space Clowns Are A Thing In Spelljammer

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 5.31.33 PM.png

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I DMed a SJ campaign in the 90s and I know the setting always had weird and goofy stuff but from what I remember it was just kind of there, you could use it or ignore it. This time around it seems like (at least with the previews) theyre showcasing this aspect more. But if clownspace is only 2-3 pages I can live with that. I'll reserve judgement until it comes out in a few weeks.

When I first saw this article on clowns in space, I immediately thought of the Juggler who lead the thieves guild on the Rock of Bral and was disappointed they didnt tie these into that and made it its own sphere.
My impression is, 5e Spelljammer is versatile. Several moods are possible.

• Archetypal realm of thoughts
  • Dominions of angels and devils
  • Space opera (Star Trek, Star Wars)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Cosmic horror (gith, farrealms)
  • Goofy campy farce (2e Spelljammer)
  • Journey between worlds

Maybe the scifi show Farscape is a blend of all of these?

For me the realm of thoughts is the angle that intrigues me. I will probably rewatch the movie, What Dreams May Come, to get a sense of a realm of thoughts.

In this more serious approach, moments of bawdy comedy and silliness can actually enhance the seriousness.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I won't get the new Spelljammer - partly because of astral stuff, partly because I'm happy with my home-brewed 'jammer.

And killer clowns from outer space...I mean, I love that Spelljammer traditionally is a bit gonzo, but this borders on a heavy immersion crusher. I definitely wouldn't use them.

Remove ads

Remove ads