Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

Big Mac

Explorer
freyar said:
Looks pretty good so far. I'd change rock throwing to

Dual Rock Throwing (Ex): An ogre giant can throw rocks as other types of giants can. In addition, as a full round action, an ogre giant can throw two rocks (one per hand) with no attack penalty. The range increment is x feet for an ogre giant’s thrown rocks.
It already says Duel rock throwing in the Special Attacks section, but not below the stats yet. It is stil listed as Rock Throwing (Ex) there.

I'm wondering about the Rock Catching (Ex). If the Ogre Giant can throw two rocks at once, should it be able to catch two rocks at once? (I'd guess that big rocks wouldn't fit in one hand, but smaller rocks might.)

Ogre Giant Characters

An ogre giant cleric has access to two of the following domains: x.
What do ogres, merrows and ogre magi get?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Big Mac said:
It already says Duel rock throwing in the Special Attacks section, but not below the stats yet. It is stil listed as Rock Throwing (Ex) there.
That's why I wanted to change it below! :)
I'm wondering about the Rock Catching (Ex). If the Ogre Giant can throw two rocks at once, should it be able to catch two rocks at once? (I'd guess that big rocks wouldn't fit in one hand, but smaller rocks might.)
I think I'd just stick with one rock caught.

What do ogres, merrows and ogre magi get?
No domains listed for any of those (in the SRD), so I guess I'd be inclined to leave this off.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree that the "frenzy" should be flavor text. I also agree with dual rock throwing, but single rock catching. I dropped the Characters section since we're ditching domains.

Updated.

120 feet for rock throwing?

Skills: 17

Feats: 5

freyar

Is it too much trouble to add the character section back? Hill and Stone giants get one, so I think it makes sense here.

120 ft is good.

9 and 8 in Spot and Listen or do we want to go with something like Climb/Jump?

Power Attack, Cleave, Imp Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Imp Overrun or Great Cleave?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Is it too much trouble to add the character section back? Hill and Stone giants get one, so I think it makes sense here.
Sure.

freyar said:
9 and 8 in Spot and Listen or do we want to go with something like Climb/Jump?
Lets work those in...maybe Climb 3, Jump 3, Listen 5, Spot 6?

freyar said:
Power Attack, Cleave, Imp Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Imp Overrun or Great Cleave?
I'm least in favor of Great Cleave, and could see swapping Improved Overrun with a ranged feat due to their preference for lobbing stones.

freyar

Skills sound good.

Only gets 5 feats. So we could swap Cleave and Great Cleave for PBS and Far Shot. What do you think?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like...it helps differentiate them a bit more.

Updated.

Organization: Solitary or clan (x)

Challenge Rating: 8? (They are about equal to stone giants)

An ogre giant's bag usually contains x.

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
Organization: Solitary or clan (x)
The original had the number appearing as 1-6. That would seem to suggest that a clan would be 2-6 giants. They say elsewhere that a clan consists of a male (with full hp), then 1-3 wives. Any more giants in a clan are children or unmaried siblings of the clan leader. But I'm not sure that 6 is enough giants to make up a proper clan. Maybe the 1-6 was supposed to be the number encountered rather than the entire clan.

If some giants keep herds of sheep or goats, I'd expect them to mostly be the ones in clans.

Shade said:
An ogre giant's bag usually contains x.
Do they need a bag?

If they throw twice as many rocks as other giants, I'd expect them to carry more of them.

If ogre giants keep sheep and goats, I would guess that they would carry food like an extra large goats cheese as well as meat from their sheep and goats.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Personally, instead of Far Shot... I'd give them Quick Draw. More rocks/round.

I say that their bags are mostly rocks, although goat cheese, shears and wool would also make sense.

freyar

Quick Draw is a good idea too. I'll leave that up to Shade.

Agreed on the bags. For the clan, I'd say 2-6 adults and a similar number of children.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Quick Draw is a great idea!

Stone giants carry 2d12 throwing rocks in their bags. Maybe 4d6 for these guys?

For organization, how about: Solitary, family (1 male plus 1-3 wives and 1-6 children), or clan (2-6 males plus 3-12 females and 4-24 children)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That finishes up the ogres! Now on to the remaining trolls...

Stone Troll
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Mountains/subterranean
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Group
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivore/Petrivore (rocks)
INTELLIGENCE: Low (5-7)
TREASURE: Q (E)
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
NO. APPEARING: 2-8 (2d4)
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 10
HIT DICE: 10+2
THAC0: 11
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d6+6 (×2)/2d4+6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Regeneration, see below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: L (11' +)
MORALE: Fanatic (18)
XP VALUE: 7,000
Shaman: 9,000

Stone trolls are horrendous creatures, towering over most of their kin. They have sunken eye sockets, massive claws, a fangfilled mouth, and a nasty disposition. Stone trolls are completely hairless. Their skin is hard, rocky, and is colored to provide camouflage in their natural habitat. Stone trolls gain this coloration by ingesting rocks and stones common to their territory, assimilating the minerals into their skin. Because of this coloration, they have a 75% chance of remaining unseen by casual observation when against a rocky background, and can attack by surprise with a -3 penalty to the victim's surprise roll.

Due to their rock-hard claws, they are able to successfully scale any stone or earth surface. Because metal blunts their claws and wood splinters beneath their claws, stone trolls have only a 35% chance of climbing such surfaces. Stone trolls possess infravision out to 30'.

Combat: Stone trolls rip apart their opponents by attacking with their devastating claws and fangs. They aren't as agile as other trolls, though, and can only spread their three attacks between two opponents. They never use hand-held weapons, seeing them as weak alternatives to their own armament.

On the other hand, they thoroughly enjoy pulverizing enemies with thrown boulders. A stone troll can throw two stones per round up to 35 yards away for 2d8 damage each.

Its highly mineral nature makes a stone troll a slow regenerator, but it is also very difficult to hurt. They regenerate one hit point per round beginning on the second round after being wounded. Due to their rocky skin, they suffer half damage from all edged weapons and their limbs aren't easily severed. If cut off with a vorpal blade or sword of sharpness, the limb dies immediately, but the body will continue to fight, even headless, as long as it has one attack. If the head and both arms are lost, the torso attempts to flee. Stone trolls are immune to all rock-affecting spells and take half damage from fire/heat, cold, and electrical attacks and may regenerate all such damage. Wounds from acid-based attacks cannot be regenerated. If a stone troll is struck by both fire/heat and cold attacks in a single round, it takes double normal damage (no save) from the second attack and must make a save vs. paralyzation at -3. If it fails, its rocky body shatters due to the extreme temperature shifts, forever dead. Even if it does save and survives, the damage from the two attacks cannot be regenerated.

Like all trolls, stone trolls are always hungry, and stone trolls are distracted (60% chancel by food dropped by fleeing prey.

Habitat/Society: Stone trolls prefer living in caves, in the mountains, or on rocky plateaus. Their "lairs" are often right out in the open as sunlight doesn't bother them. They often curl up in a boulder-like shape whenever tired, sleeping wherever they might be.

They gather into tribes led by the most powerful male. Stone troll males are the larger, stronger gender, but only females have the skills to become shamans. Such shamans may reach 7th level with the following spheres: Charm, combat, divination, elemental (earth only), sun, and weather. The chieftain is often advised by, and mated to, the strongest shaman.

Stone trolls aren't very prolific, the females giving birth to a single whelp every ten years. The young mature in about twenty years. Stone trolls can live in excess of 500 years.

Because of their rocky nature, stone trolls can subsist by eating stones, gems, and other minerals. Though not appetizing, it is nourishing and helps them develop their concealing coloration. They prefer live prey, though any meat is fair game.

Stone trolls consider all other beings prey, and never ally themselves with other groups for power. They attack most creatures for hunger and sport, but attack rock trolls (see DRAGON® issue #141) out of sheer hatred. They consider rock trolls to be perversions of their race, while rock trolls see stone trolls as inferior, ugly versions of themselves. Their hatred is so great that the two species will never join forces, even if attacked by a common enemy.

Ecology: Stone trolls are the top predator in their territories and eat anything they can catch. Eventually, their unending hunger depletes the wildlife of their rocky home, and they are forced to raid the civilized lands for a few months if they desire fresh meat. Luckily, these raids are as rare as the stone trolls themselves.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #199 (1993).

freyar

A good word for the descriptive text! :p

Dual rock throwing again, I think. Regeneration 1, acid deals normal damage, some sort of weird resistance/vulnerability to fire/cold, too.

Big Mac

Explorer
Ogre Giant Children

demiurge1138 said:
Sounds done to me too.
The Ogre Giant itself is done, but I've got a small question about thier children. The original write up says to treat them as Common Ogre's, but you haven't mentioned what to do with them in the conversion.

Should they be run as standard Ogres? (Maybe with a bit of flavor text saying something like: "Ogre giant children are often mistaken for common Ogre's from a distance, but when seen up close their racial heriatage is more easy to spot.")

Or should they be run as short Ogre Giants with less HD, a smaller size category and less skills and feats?

Are there any other races (especially giants or ogres) that have families and children in their stat-blocks?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like your suggestion in the second sentence, and will update accordingly.

Edit: I actually had that covered in the Society section, but will still include the "easily mistaken" bit.

freyar

A lot of humanoids do mention "kids" in the organization line (see orcs, goblins, etc, and look for noncombatants), but most don't say anything about stats. However, it would probably be easy enough just to say "Ogre giant children have the same statistics as ogres but appear like smaller versions of ogre giants."

Big Mac

Explorer
freyar said:
A lot of humanoids do mention "kids" in the organization line (see orcs, goblins, etc, and look for noncombatants), but most don't say anything about stats. However, it would probably be easy enough just to say "Ogre giant children have the same statistics as ogres but appear like smaller versions of ogre giants."
That was what I was getting at. The original version goes out of its way to say that children are like common ogres, but I hadn't seen that on other monsters and didn't know if that sort of detail was something that was outdated by 3rd edition convention.

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4