• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why not "always LN"? That's a little different, and lions are the "kings" of the jungle or whatever, so they should be lawful. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Why not "always LN"? That's a little different, and lions are the "kings" of the jungle or whatever, so they should be lawful. ;)

The Zakharan version of the werelion is Lawful Evil, so how about "Usually lawful" or "Always lawful, usually neutral"?

Oh, and what about my earlier proposal to stat the Zakharan Werelion with the Dire Lion plus the Dire Lycanthrope template we did? Presumably with "Always lawful, usually evil".

Mortis

First Post
I'd rather not, since there's no hint of them using such a weapon in the original text.
It's not something I'm fanatic about, I just it would make a change.

Besides, it requires an exotic weapon proficency.
Ah but (emphasis mine)...

SRD Shapecjnahger subtype said:
Proficient with its natural weapons, with simple weapons, and with any weapons mentioned in the creature’s description.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
Ah but (emphasis mine)...

SRD said:
Proficient with its natural weapons, with simple weapons, and with any weapons mentioned in the creature’s description.

Regards
Mortis

Yes, I'm aware of the default weapon proficiencies of monster types. I just don't want every werelion in existence to be proficient in the bola. It just doesn't fit my idea of them.

Besides, the lycanthrope template give them attacks that are "same as the base creature or base animal". Doesn't that apply it has the base weapon proficiencies of the base creature & base animal? Neither human warriors or lions are automatically proficient in bolas.

If I recall correctly, the monster entry takes precedent over the generic traits of its type(s) if there are any differences.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, except the statblock is for a sample werelion, right? So what does that mean about proficiency? :p

Proposed alignments are ok.

Cleon

Legend
Umm, always lawful, usually neutral works.

I've updated the Working Draft with that, but I've left it red since I have a feeling Shade won't like it.

Shall I add a "Dire Werelion" to the draft while we're waiting?

EDIT: I just noticed a couple of errors in the attacks (hybrid spear damage and the rake entry), so I fixed 'em.

EDITED EDIT: It was also missing the Dex bonus from its Lion and Hybrid form's Move Silently skill.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads