Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Wait a minute? They have a racial deflection bonus? In that case, no need for Armor of Darkness to be one of their spells. We should switch it out.

+4 natural AC is pretty low, especially for something this badass. This would be mitigated by putting mage armor on its spell list (since its caster level is high enough for it to basically be on all day).

10+4+9+4+4=31, which is a nice AC all 'round, especially with that solid DR.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not sure where that deflection bonus came from. Probably a cut n' paste error.

+13 natural would be fine with me, or we can work in a deflection bonus if you want.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's go with +13 natural and leave Armor of Darkness in the spell list.

Have we remembered to add in the profane bonuses from the aura of desecrated animation?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

What 1st-level spell shall we replace with mage armor?

Also, did we want to try to work more of these onto the list?

Seventh-level clerical
Destruction
Unholy word
Wither

Seventh-level magic-user
Mass invisibility
Phase door
Power word, stun

Eighth-level magic-user
Mind blank
Power word, blind
Trap the soul

Ninth-level magic-user
Imprisonment
Energy drain
Power word, kill

Le Grand Zombi is in the "special" class for a cleric's chance to turn it away.

+4 turn resistance like a vampire or lich?

freyar

Well, I thought we were going to replace weird with time stop at 9th level, but maybe we should go with power word, kill instead. That's even in one of his domains.

Let's swap out ray of enfeeblement for mage armor.

Put destruction in for blasphemy at 7th level?

Not sure about the others.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'm still fighting against the redundant death effects. Yes to time stop, no to power word kill. I'd recommend replacing chill touch with mage armor (ray of enfeeblement is a great spell even at high levels, whereas chill touch is wasted).

Replacing blasphemy with destruction is a good idea. Yeah, I'm fighting against redundant death effects, but blasphemy is a notorious killer of parties and fun.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with that. I'm anti-blasphemy and its ilk, too. Most. Annoying. Spell.

Mass invisibility could be interesting, allowing him to hide some of his zombie horde.

Thoughts on +4 turn resistance like a vampire or lich?

freyar

Ok, so I guess we all agree on time stop rather than weird or power word kill, mage armor instead of chill touch. Not sure about destruction or mass invisibility. We really don't have enough spells known here.

+4 turn resistance is probably right.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Ok, so I guess we all agree on time stop rather than weird or power word kill, mage armor instead of chill touch. Not sure about destruction or mass invisibility. We really don't have enough spells known here.

We can easily fix that problem using a few of his feats on Extra Spell. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads