D&D 5E Spellcasters and Balance in 5e: A Poll

Should spellcasters be as effective as martial characters in combat?

• 1. Yes, all classes should be evenly balanced for combat at each level.

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 2. Yes, spellcasters should be as effective as martial characters in combat, but in a different way

Votes: 111 53.9%
  • 3. No, martial characters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • 4. No, spellcasters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 5. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 27 13.1%

• Poll closed .

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Fighters aren't good enough as is, and the maneuvers don't scale in depth.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Fighters over the 1-20 level range aren't good enough as is.

The battlemaster fulfills the warlord concept as well as a wizard limited to just knowing 1st level spells in their book, never progressing much beyond additional dice of magic missile. Except they would still have more depth and breadth than the so called "battle master".
A wizard limited to level 1 spells is still conceptually a wizard. Scaling can still be a mechanical issue. But it's not a conceptual one. The 4e Warlord is conceptually in 5e, it's mechanics for it are just crap.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Right. But the the issue was fixed by creating better subclasses, not creating a separate 'huntsman' class that basically has the same concept than the ranger but is better. Ideally they would also errata existing classes and subclasses, and it sucks that they're so reluctant to do that.

The ranger isn't nearly fixed.
It's still a bad class.
They just made new subclasses more deadly

You have to trade out all the class features for the Tasha ones to make the ranger good at exploration.

Guess what. That's making a new class.

The ranger isn't nearly fixed.
It's still a bad class.
They just made new subclasses more deadly

You have to trade out all the class features for the Tasha ones to make the ranger good at exploration.

Guess what. That's making a new class.
No, it literally is not.

But sure, if that is to you, then I'm perfectly fine with there being optional new fighter features in the next book so you can have your 'new' fighter class.

It's almost like you are trying to argue, "if an EK was supposed to fulfil the concept of Wizard then he wouldn't mechanically do so", which is a sentiment I agree with. But we know that an EK was never supposed to fulfill the concept of Wizard. The Battlemaster was supposed to fulfill the concept of Warlord. That's not the same at all.

So, why does my criticism here of that point not make sense to you?

I'm not saying you have to be happy with the mechanics for the warlord concept in 5e. Much like I would never suggest you need to be happy with the mechanics of the Beastmaster in 5e - but we don't see anyone arguing that the Beastmaster doesn't fulfill the 'animal companion' concept - even though mechanically the implementation sucks.

Regardless of implementation, I don't see how Battlemaster was ever meant to fulfil the Warlord concept that unsatisfied people are talking about.

The Battlemaster doesn't even try to fulfill the concept of "martial character whose primary impact is leaderly/warlord stuff and tertiary impact is hitting things". So like the retired veteran that isn't feable but no longer has the sword arm he once had so his first option is to add value through tactics, inspiration, etc. I think we are coming to agree that the Fighter chasis just doesn't allow you to swap enough direct fighting prowess to add to your leaderly stuff.

Battlemaster fulfills the concept of "elite martial warrior that can also do some leading/warlording".

For the concept to be fulfiled the class/subclass would have to move the "impact" slider from:

Battlemaster (leaning as hard as it can into warlord from feats and manuvers): Hitting stuff directly= 4, wardlordy/leaderly stuff = 3

to

Warlord: Hitting stuff = 2 or 3, wardlordy/leaderly stuff = 5

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ship of Theseus.

How many class features can you trade out before a class becomes a new class?
It’s not just the mechanics. It’s the conceptual space. those classes still represent the same concept and go by the same name. That is enough to make it the same class. IMO.

Now, I have neither bought nor read Tasha's, and I don't do extensive research or stay up-to-date in D&D news, I have only heard little things—so I apologize if this sounds redundant or stupid.
I feel like there should be a book dedicated to being a resource DM's and Players can use to customize Class (and subclass), Feat, and Race options. This would let the Player(s) come up with cool character ideas while the DM has an organized checklist or template to help make it all fair and balanced (hopefully)
I don't believe D&D needs to have a complete overhaul with its system. Maybe something like a 5.5E where the system is altered based on Consumer input.
With Battle Master, I feel like the Maneuvers should have followed what I call the "Invocation System," where—like the Warlock's Invocations—some features are only accessible through level or other prerequisites.
As with the Warlord, I think—I pray—that I'm right to say that it is a not-magically-oriented Controller-Class? In which case, I love the concept!! But with the Battle Master, honestly it makes me feel like the people who made it went "Hey, lets take all the cool tricks and maneuvers that Players would want any martial-based class to conceivably do normally, lock those away, and only give those options to characters who'd specifically take this subclass or specific feat!!" which I hate.
The only thing rn that I don't like about the Warlord is that in my head I go "Okay, this class is all about fighting and influencing the battle with their knowledge of how fights work and their words to come out on top. . . Why don't they get prof. in all martial weapons and armor??"
Now, for all Fighters I think that it should be okay for them to take an action to just tell the rest of the party what they should do, but I like how the Warlord seems to be much better at it.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's almost like you are trying to argue, "if an EK was supposed to fulfil the concept of Wizard then he wouldn't mechanically do so", which is a sentiment I agree with. But we know that an EK was never supposed to fulfill the concept of Wizard. The Battlemaster was supposed to fulfill the concept of Warlord. That's not the same at all.

So, why does my criticism here of that point not make sense to you?
You keep saying this is what the Battle Master was supposed to do. I reject that argument, both in theory and in practice. I've already covered the practice side, and it seems you care about the other. So: On the theory side, I genuinely do not believe the Battle Master was ever "meant" to be a Warlord. It was, however, pretty clearly meant to capture the feel of a 4e Fighter. (Remember that the "baseline" 4e Fighter was called the Weaponmaster subclass, which is far too similar to be mere coincidence.) When the designers got backed into a corner because it took them forever to settle on the shape the Fighter class should have (seriously, it wasn't until like the final or penultimate document that the Fighter even started to look like it did in the published PHB), they had to resort to what measures were available.

Now, the Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret? That I could at least admit was specifically supposed to be a Warlord--it even uses the word "warlord" in some of its text (e.g. "Banneret serves as the generic name for this archetype if you use it in other campaign settings or to model warlords other than the Purple Dragon Knights.") It is also about as close to "bad" as you can get for a subclass without actually BEING bad--that is, its features are painfully mediocre and limited, and (IMO) don't really deliver on the concept of a warrior who leads others in battle.

The Battle Master is almost purely focused on doing tricksy things with weapons. It's not a Warlord. You can kinda-sorta-ish kludge part of a Warlord out of one, but it was very clearly intended for a different function--or, as I said, it's the EK of Warlords, where it's mostly a Fighter but has some Warlord mechanics stapled to it.

Chill.

And sorry to break this to you, but warlord is not beloved; it's a 4e posterboy class and 4e was opposite of beloved. Also I want less classes in the game, do you want to be magnanimous towards that?
Okay, I admit I got heated there. I apologize. I would, however, note that I'm not the one telling other people that their preferences are incompatible with design virtues. I'm not the one gatekeeping whose aesthetic preferences are permitted expression in the game. I absolutely feel I, and others, have not been treated with a lot of respect on this. It would be nice if people did not dismiss entire arguments with two-word arguments like "class bloat." Parsimony is not a universal virtue, and even parsimony is not the same as hyper-reductionism.

As for the other points, I had assumed--given that there's only one edition that has a "Warlord"--that it was understood that I referred to its popularity in that edition. Given that I know you were around for the "Warlord quarantine forum" phase, even if the class is not HUGELY ENORMOUSLY popular, I know you know how popular it is for a vocal minority, who would feel really, REALLY happy if people actually tried to give them what they want ever, instead of abjuring them at every step of the way.

And, frankly, I don't really see that as an expression of magnanimity. Mearls himself said it quite well during the playtest: just as with martial healing, the existence of an added Warlord class does absolutely nothing to you, because you can simply not permit it in your games, and choose not to play in games where other people play one. You lose nothing, while Warlord fans gain enormously. Conversely, not merely adamantly insisting that the Warlord shouldn't exist but that at least one other class shouldn't exist either, might give you things, but it certainly does so at the cost of taking stuff away from others. That's not magnanimity; that's zero-sum "for me to win, you must lose" stuff.

Right. But the the issue was fixed by creating better subclasses, not creating a separate 'huntsman' class that basically has the same concept than the ranger but is better. Ideally they would also errata existing classes and subclasses, and it sucks that they're so reluctant to do that.
Except that that isn't any better. All it does is make a new overpowered subclass. Consider back when the Storm Sorcerer was in playtest. Fans rightly got annoyed that this subclass got a bunch of free spells, when the baseline Dragon and Chaos ones didn't. What did WotC do? They didn't go back and fix any of the old subclasses. They just nerfed the playtest one so it would be equally bad. That's not good design. Subclasses are not a magic bullet that solves every class design problem. They are useful tools, but not the end-all, be-all solution.

So I think the question we are struggling with is - 'what do we do when a concept in the books have poor mechanical representations. Do we:
1. Create a new class/subclass so that the concept can have better mechanics?
2. Adjust the mechanics of the existing class/subclass so that they are better?
3. Live with the crappy mechanical implementation of the concept?

There are pros and cons to every answer. What I'm not seeing acknowledged are any cons to the 1 approach which is the most advocated approach on this thread.
Well, here's my thoughts.
Option 1, pros: the freedom to add things that are missing, and (for classes specifically) to not be limited by how much power a subclass is allowed to have; ability to tailor the solutions narrowly and specifically to what is needed
Option 1, cons: reduplication of effort/lack of parsimony, more difficult to balance (because, e.g., a character could MC BM/Warlord)
Option 2, pros: Can (in theory) be published as errata, makes the smallest possible changes while still changing something
Option 2, cons: Unlikely to actually be published as errata, unable to create new mechanics or fill holes that already exist
Option 3, pros: Requires zero effort and avoids any controversy about errata or lack of parsimony
Option 3, cons: Fails to address the problem.

Does that meaningfully address your concerns about failing to consider negative aspects of a solution? I do not consider absolute minimalism a virtue in design. Logical parsimony is only virtuous as long as it does, in fact, actually cover everything it's supposed to; remember that Occam's Razor is not "always use fewer entities," it is "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily." Newton's theory of gravitation is simpler (dramatically so) than Einstein's theory of general relativity, but we use the latter and not the former due to relativity covering more of the facts.

I am arguing, here, that trying to make the Battle Master Fighter cover both the Mighty Thews(/Agile Archer, I guess) AND the Inspiring Captain archetype is leaving both things under-served. That we are not seeing parsimony, but rather deficiency; not frugality, but miserliness.

A wizard limited to level 1 spells is still conceptually a wizard. Scaling can still be a mechanical issue. But it's not a conceptual one. The 4e Warlord is conceptually in 5e, it's mechanics for it are just crap.
Again, I disagree--mostly because the Battle Master, as I argued earlier, is far too personally capable. The Warlord concept is not merely someone who CAN choose to inspire allies. The Warlord concept is someone who NEEDS to coordinate and strategize with allies in order to get things done. Now, this does not mean having NO combat capability without an ally--the Warlord could do some butt-kicking on her own. But it should mean that the best butt-kicking they do is either in direct combination with allies (e.g. Bravura Warlords who give allies risky opportunities), coordinating the whole team's movements to maximally exploit terrain (Tactical Warlords with repositioning, initiative, etc.), or dredging up those hidden reserves we all have but never tap because of self-protection instincts (Resourceful and certain other types of Warlord).

In general, the best thing a Battle Master can do is just attack more. It's going to be pretty rare, for example, for Commander's Strike to actually do better than the BM just attacking again. Distracting Strike isn't...the worst, but is pretty narrow--a chance for a chance for a good thing to happen. Rally is pretty much just bad, since it can't actually heal anyone. (Like...for real, even granting 6d12 healing at level 18 to every party member once per short rest is NOT that powerful, and doing that means you did LITERALLY nothing else special. A Life Cleric can do that easily, except that they can target just the people who need it most, and they still get all their spells on top.) Maneuvering Attack is probably the only "Warlord-type" maneuver that actually does more or less what a Warlord would do.

And...that's literally it. Those exhaust the "Warlord options" for the Battle Master. It's not just a matter of no scaling; it's a matter of you get only four Warlord-like things you can potentially do, and most of them are just not worth doing when you could instead, y'know, just do it yourself. Which is the fundamental problem of the "Fighter-as-Warlord." To be a Fighter, any 5e Fighter, you must be good at kicking butt all by yourself. The Battle Master simply adds a layer of "oh and you can also potentially boost an ally along the way" on top.

No, it literally is not.
I'm a bit confused here. If an "alternate class option" (since it's not a subclass, which can't remove class features) changes out 90% or more of the base class features for something else, that...sounds like a new class with some common features. I mean, the only things Tasha's didn't swap out or offer heavy modification to were Fighting Style, Extra Attack, Vanish, and Feral Senses. Fighting Style and Extra Attack are universal features of melee (sub)classes, so those wouldn't have changed either way. That leaves two, high-level features untouched--everything else is either completely replaced or pretty meaningfully modified (e.g. Spells might not be replaced, but getting several extra free spells known that you can cast once a day without spell slots is a BIG deal).

It's hard to see an argument that this is "the same class" as anything but semantic.

Last edited:

Okay, I admit I got heated there. I apologize. I would, however, note that I'm not the one telling other people that their preferences are incompatible with design virtues. I'm not the one gatekeeping whose aesthetic preferences are permitted expression in the game. I absolutely feel I, and others, have not been treated with a lot of respect on this. It would be nice if people did not dismiss entire arguments with two-word arguments like "class bloat." Parsimony is not a universal virtue, and even parsimony is not the same as hyper-reductionism.
Look, we are just random people expressing our game design preferences on the internet. I cannot stop WotC from publishing a warlord any more than you can force them to do so. Me saying that I don't want to see something published isn't actually depriving you of anything, it's just me expressing my preference.

As for the other points, I had assumed--given that there's only one edition that has a "Warlord"--that it was understood that I referred to its popularity in that edition. Given that I know you were around for the "Warlord quarantine forum" phase, even if the class is not HUGELY ENORMOUSLY popular, I know you know how popular it is for a vocal minority, who would feel really, REALLY happy if people actually tried to give them what they want ever, instead of abjuring them at every step of the way.
Yes, it is a vocal minority. And I feel that publishing classes that any vocal minority would want would definitely lead to class bloat.

And, frankly, I don't really see that as an expression of magnanimity. Mearls himself said it quite well during the playtest: just as with martial healing, the existence of an added Warlord class does absolutely nothing to you, because you can simply not permit it in your games, and choose not to play in games where other people play one. You lose nothing, while Warlord fans gain enormously. Conversely, not merely adamantly insisting that the Warlord shouldn't exist but that at least one other class shouldn't exist either, might give you things, but it certainly does so at the cost of taking stuff away from others. That's not magnanimity; that's zero-sum "for me to win, you must lose" stuff.
I actually believe that having too many classes hurts the game. I believe that both warlock and sorcerer are made worse by being forced to be separate classes. And I feel that making a separate warlord class would narrow fighter conceptually and close potential future options. You're free to disagree, I'm not gonna change my opinion on this because of that.

Except that that isn't any better. All it does is make a new overpowered subclass. Consider back when the Storm Sorcerer was in playtest. Fans rightly got annoyed that this subclass got a bunch of free spells, when the baseline Dragon and Chaos ones didn't. What did WotC do? They didn't go back and fix any of the old subclasses. They just nerfed the playtest one so it would be equally bad. That's not good design. Subclasses are not a magic bullet that solves every class design problem. They are useful tools, but not the end-all, be-all solution.
The real issue here is WotC's refusal to errata things. I really wish they'd just release 5.5. and taking good look at all the classes and subclasses to see whether they're actually doing what they're intended to do and adjust things accordingly. It would still remain backwards combatable with all the adventures, monsters etc.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Fighters over the 1-20 level range aren't good enough as is.

Yeah the Fighter is very badly designed period, and particularly if they wanted it include the Warlord.

Maybe the Warlord should start with the Valor Bard as a base?

Then, take away it's full caster spells and replace entirely with warlordy/leaderly stuff. What kind of cool and powerful leaderly/warlordy features would we need to equal the Bard's full caster progression? Hmm...

Remove ads