• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed (MAYBE, April Fools?)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like "crystal spheres" as discreate planar areas, crystalline dimensions that swirl and phase in and out of harmony permeated with with an otherworldy music that would inspire Azathoth.

But as an actual crystal object, that you can go up to the edge of?

Nah, pass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is disappointing to me. I was hoping they would find a way to eliminate them. They always rubbed me the wrong way.
I like "crystal spheres" as discreate planar areas, crystalline dimensions that swirl and phase in and out of harmony permeated with with an otherworldy music that would inspire Azathoth.

But as an actual crystal object, that you can go up to the edge of?

Nah, pass.
There will likely be changes to a certain extent, but the Crystal Spheres within a unified Prime Material are the assumed shared world of 5E from the get-go. Confirmed by Perkins and Crawford at various points.

Given that this is Perkins' project, I expect it will lean into the weird very heavily.

dave2008

Legend
There will likely be changes to a certain extent, but the Crystal Spheres within a unified Prime Material are the assumed shared world of 5E from the get-go. Confirmed by Perkins and Crawford at various points.

Given that this is Perkins' project, I expect it will lean into the weird very heavily.
Nothing is confirmed until it is written on the page ;)

EDIT: I do want to clarify to I am open to a reimagining of the crystal spheres, in the lines of what @SkidAce suggested. I just don't like the idea of a physical object.

Quickleaf

Legend

Nothing is confirmed until it is written on the page ;)

EDIT: I do want to clarify to I am open to a reimagining of the crystal spheres, in the lines of what @SkidAce suggested. I just don't like the idea of a physical object.

They've been wanting to do more mobile games...

...and target younger audiences...

...so I present to you the Spelljammer Crib Mobile!!

Attachments

• solar-system-mobile.png
    solar-system-mobile.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 64

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I would rather, the "crystal" spheres are what gravity looks like from the perspective of the shallow ethereal in outer space.

Ether is the element that all forces are made out of, including natural forces like gravity, electromagnetism, and nuclear forces. When in outer space in the ethereal plane, one can see the gravity around each planet, and it looks like a blurry watery sphere, or crystal sphere. Similarly a galaxy has a gravitational field around it.

The edge of the crystal is diffuse, more like the halo around a candle flame, but nonluminous and more like blurry crystal.

If divine spellcasters without a deity's worship are possible, why not in Athas? Maybe false gods, for example a sorcerer-queen, or some kaiju-like creature. We don't know what happened to the rest of the "crystal sphere". Maybe it is ruled by archelemental, a fighting the cult of the elemental eye (Thazridun). Other point is if a player wanted to play an ardent, a new class from 3.5 the complete psionic.

I guess this "April's fool" was a mixture of teaser and test to create a little hype, to see our reaction and possible interest.

Other point is after decades without new publications the fandom themself have created in their imagination different visions of the line. The image in their minds may be very different, and everybody is right. And younger players can add a lot of elements from recenter franchises, for example videogames.

* What happened in the Vodoni empire after the "sphere wars"? What if the fomer Vodonian soldiers with their lycantrope curse are hired as mercenaries against monsters in other places because they can't be infected by undeads, mutants or other creatures?

How could Vodoni empire invade other crystal spheres if these could be closed by the native deities?

* Should the gith pirates to be a third subrace? Is possible half-blood offspring?

* Could the insectare to be cursed by werewermin?

nxya2n7z7tsy.png

617741.jpg

ddu9wq4-301dbded-8c66-4f7f-ae35-6f116c8309d6.jpg

dave2008

Legend
I would rather, the "crystal" spheres are what gravity looks like from the perspective of the shallow ethereal in outer space.

Ether is the element that all forces are made out of, including natural forces like gravity, electromagnetism, and nuclear forces. When in outer space in the ethereal plane, one can see the gravity around each planet, and it looks like a blurry watery sphere, or crystal sphere. Similarly a galaxy has a gravitational field around it.

The edge of the crystal is diffuse, more like the halo around a candle flame, but nonluminous and more like blurry crystal.
Yes, something along those lines could work very well. I may have to borrow that for my setting!

Remove ads