D&D 5E Spelljammer Errata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you want older settings to be retired . . . why not just pretend that they have? Think of each and every update to them as an entirely new setting. Ignore their existence just like you would for a new setting that doesn't interest you (like Strixhaven, I'm assuming).

Then . . . let the people that like the updated versions of the setting enjoy them as much as they would a new setting.

Or does that not work for you? In which case, I really don't understand why you want your older favorite settings to not be updated.
Well, I would prefer that they made something I would want to buy as opposed to not doing that, but I suppose that could work. The only issue is I like to engage with the community, and the big topic is  always the new hotness.

It does appear that all Hadozee artwork has been removed for now, not just the notable problematic one.

Though I am a bit surprised it took until a few days ago for it to be called out, given that the art was first previewed the day Spelljammer was announced.

Faolyn

(she/her)
We have seen evolution happen in nature. There have been documented cases of evolution happening in the real world. In America, a species of fly in the 1800s mutated to be able to spread to apples and became a new species. That's evolution. There's a species of mosquito that evolved in manmade underground tunnels and railways in London that can no longer breed with its closest living relative species. That's evolution. We've done an evolution experiment with E. Coli so long that it gained the ability to break down a chemical in their environment that scientists didn't think they could evolve to break down. That's evolution. We've domesticated animals so much that many of them are considered different species from the animals they came from and have definitely evolved.
You don't even have to go that far. We get flu shots every year because the viruses evolve.

Faolyn

(she/her)
How do we know that, when WotC keeps producing stuff with the old names?
As many others have pointed out to you, they've published several brand new settings: Ravnica, Theros, Strixhaven, and Wildmont. And they're going to be publishing new ones. Do you like any of them?

According to Amazon, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is ranked #53 in D&D books and is #12,607 in books in general, Explorer's Guide to Wildemont is ranked #55 in D&D books and #13,258 in books in general (yes, a Critical Role setting is less popular than a MtG setting, according to Amazon). And Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is ranked #15 in D&D books and is ranked #1,901 in books in general. I think that's a pretty clear indication that people want new editions of older settings, not newer settings.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As many others have pointed out to you, they've published several brand new settings: Ravnica, Theros, Strixhaven, and Wildmont. And they're going to be publishing new ones. Do you like any of them?

According to Amazon, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is ranked #53 in D&D books and is #12,607 in books in general, Explorer's Guide to Wildemont is ranked #55 in D&D books and #13,258 in books in general (yes, a Critical Role setting is less popular than a MtG setting, according to Amazon). And Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is ranked #15 in D&D books and is ranked #1,901 in books in general. I think that's a pretty clear indication that people want new editions of older settings, not newer settings.
Wildemount was cool. I don't really care for any of the MtG settings (they're ill-designed for the D&D aesthetic).

But, I guess Amazon rankings don't lie. People want "modern" retreads from WotC, so I guess I'm out if the loop. Back to 3pp for me.

JEB

Legend
And Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is ranked #15 in D&D books and is ranked #1,901 in books in general. I think that's a pretty clear indication that people want new editions of older settings, not newer settings.
Point of order: That's a sample size of one. If you want to use Amazon sales to make any assertions about rebooted old settings vs. updated old settings vs. completely new settings, you'll have to wait a while (I'd say a year) for the rankings on Spelljammer and Dragonlance to have some stability.

I'd also note that the non-rebooted Eberron and SCAG aren't actually that much behind VGR. Though it's true all are ahead of every new-to-5E setting, even - surprisingly - Wildemount (a disappointing #61).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads