D&D 5E Spells you house rule?

and the difference is?

The difference is the same as if before a social encounter, in anticipation of a skill check being needed, the Cleric cast Guidance on the PC to assist them in the persuasion check. That's fine.

It's not fine, when the Bard suddenly tries to fool a Guard, and the DM asks for a check to see if it works, and THEN the Cleric blurts out 'I cast guidance'. It's too bloody late.

Yeah that's ridiculous, bad roleplaying on his part (unless he's deliberately playing a dude totally without confidence and crippled with anxiety), and metagaming.
how can an out of game conversation be any of metagaming, bad roleplaying or any kind of role playing?
If you and I were at war, and I asked you (as in you, yourself) 'Hey dude, I think there are enemy soldiers over there in those bushes' do you:

a) Look over at the bushes, and try and look for the things trying to kill you?

or

b) Keep looking at me while calmly tell me you suck at looking for enemy soldiers, and request someone else look over in the bushes for them?
but that IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED...

you missed and didn't quote (and I think cut it out to make a point of 'being right on the internet'
rogue player "Out of game I am saying someone else should think of it"
about 6 weeks ago player of the rogue "I bet there are shadow beasts watching us, someone should check" fighter player "Um, yeah remember I suck at noticing anything someone else do it" dragonborn player "Oh I can do you want me to roll or use passive?" me "That depends is the conversation in or out of game and are you activly looking? rogue player "Out of game I am saying someone else should think of it" dragon born player "Yeah, but my character is paranoid enough to think that... so I want to activly look can I roll?"
If someone in my party told me
it was out of game
there were likely monsters 'over there' I would (if I was playing pretty much any realistic and believable character) look 'over there' and try and spot the monsters.
and even then the cleric can as you turn to look cast guidence

The difference is the same as if before a social encounter, in anticipation of a skill check being needed, the Cleric cast Guidance on the PC to assist them in the persuasion check. That's fine.

It's not fine, when the Bard suddenly tries to fool a Guard, and the DM asks for a check to see if it works, and THEN the Cleric blurts out 'I cast guidance'. It's too bloody late.
it is only 'too late' if the DM chooses to say so... it is perfectly fine to avoid interrupting and when the bard and dm stop speaking add "I cast guidance"

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
You call for a Perception check, from the Fighters player, to see if his PC notices as the bartender make his sneaky exit.

Why is the DM calling for a check here? This is what passive perception is for.

If the fighter declares he is taking an action to look out and specifically perceive something notable, then I'd call for the check.

At least that is how I run it, passive perception to notice something happening in general, an actual roll when a PC is taking an action to perceive for whatever reason.

If the fighter declares he is taking an action to look out and specifically perceive something notable, then I'd call for the check.

At least that is how I run it, passive perception to notice something happening in general, an actual roll when a PC is taking an action to perceive for whatever reason.
I mean both ways are cool, i just still don't get how you tell your caster he can't use his cantrip any amount of times during the campaign... I think I said no to guidence like 3 times in the last 10 years... and one of those came with "From the other dimension?!?"

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark

This is my thoughts as well.

A perception check rolled by a player is called for when they note they are keeping an eye out for something in particular (That bartender looks shady, um going to keep an eye on him). The natural state of the characters is to be wary at all times and this is reflected by passive perception.

In the sneaky bartender situation the rules would imply the bad guy has to make a stealth check versus the DC of the fighters passive perception (or some other PCs if the GM rules they might have a chance of detection not involving sight (maybe an elf with super hearing or an air genasi who notices a draft).

In the case of a character calling out something in particular it would make sense for guidance to be applied (I'd even allow it to last for the length of the bar visit). It would be an abuse of the spell, however, to have the cleric using guidance constantly throughout the day.

The fiction makes me laugh at the idea of the PCs travelling on horseback with the cleric announcing "May Pelor bless you" at the ranger every minute of a 13 day journey. I imagine a screen wipe then the same scene but with the cleric gagged and the rest of the party looking relieved.

This is my thoughts as well.

A perception check rolled by a player is called for when they note they are keeping an eye out for something in particular (That bartender looks shady, um going to keep an eye on him). The natural state of the characters is to be wary at all times and this is reflected by passive perception.
in this case the cleric can "I see the fighter looking at something and call apon god to give him better sight"

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
in this case the cleric can "I see the fighter looking at something and call apon god to give him better sight"
The fighter is always looking at something as long as he is awake (and not blind?).

I'd the fighter leaned in and told the cleric (I think the bartender is up to something) then it makes sense the cleric could guidance him in on figuri g out what that thing is. For all the cleric knows without that heads up the fighter might be looking at the low cut top of the waitress.

The fighter is always looking at something as long as he is awake (and not blind?).
in theory yes, in practice not really (but I already went into this), it is pretty common for 2 people tobe talking and one sees on the others face that they are looking at something behind him
I'd the fighter leaned in and told the cleric (I think the bartender is up to something) then it makes sense the cleric could guidance him in on figuri g out what that thing is. For all the cleric knows without that heads up the fighter might be looking at the low cut top of the waitress.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You have to remember that time is an abstract concept in D&D. Characters can react to circumstances in real time. If someone goes to search, I can take the Help action to aid them. If I have inspiration or a helpful d6 from our Bard, I can choose to use it, even for things I'm not aware of, such as a spot check to notice an ambush, or a saving throw against a spell I didn't see coming. I can use the much-maligned silvery barbs when a creature I can see succeeds at an ability check, no matter what that check is (for example, I am legally allowed to use it against a creature making a wisdom check to see our sneaking Rogue).

This should not be possible in any "sensible" interpretation of events, but because D&D time is an illusion to facilitate everyone getting a distinct turn and not making the proceedings a jumbled mess, this is exactly how the game functions.

A character casting guidance to aid another character's ability check is basically like using the Help action. It's a perk of having a Divine caster around. You can always disallow it's use, but I find it's easier (and more fun) to let the players have it.

There is, after all, the occasional use where having the Cleric utter a divine blessing might not be a good idea, such as when trying to skulk about...

Remove ads