D&D 5E Split the Barbarian

• Big Stats
  • Few Weapon, Armor, and Skill Proficiency
  • No spells
  • Big HD
  • Increase Move speed
Hmm. It's interesting. Seems like there's a bit of form over substance mechanically (big stats vs stats + proficiency, if you get the same number, I'm not sure what the point is, beyond better damage). It's also extremely problematic if multiclassing is allowed.

I don't know. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Hmm. It's interesting. Seems like there's a bit of form over substance mechanically (big stats vs stats + proficiency, if you get the same number, I'm not sure what the point is, beyond better damage). It's also extremely problematic if multiclassing is allowed.

I don't know. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

I've been thinking about it for a week. Fundamentally it's the the same as the Barbarian Fighter divide.

What's the difference between a great axe fighter and a great axe barbarian? The barbarian relies on emotional rage and high natural toughness whereas the fighter has a more consistent application of force due to martial training and combat discipline. The number hit the same spots but feel different. The barbarian focused on its Rage Supermode whereas the fighter gets you a flatter curve of power with optional spikes via some class and subclass features.

Now what if we split the Barbarian.

• The Berserker focuses more on the Rage Mode. The unraged berserker is weakened to allow more power and customization in the Rage.
    • Remove exhaustion mechanics.
    • More totems.
    • More elemental damage or attacks on rage
  • The Brawler (my name for it) ups the base stats of the Barbarian and adds a more short spikey damage or defense (or both) class feature for the class.
    • A Brawler Striker that adds damage and knocks foes away.
    • A Brawler Block that negates chucks of damage.
    • Increased Ability score Increases at the "Paragon" and "Epic" tiers of play
Somewhere between the flat fighter and the spikey berserker would be the blippy brawler (a space it'll share with the monk).

TLDR: By splitting the barbarian, we can make a true RAGE class and a full undisciplined warrior class. We can go crazy on the Rage and high stats if we separate the two.

Remove ads