• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standardizing the Polymorph Subschool

Man-thing

First Post
I'm usually good at spotting patterns but I'm at a loss to generate an algorithm that fits the mess know as the spells of the polymorph subschool. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of spells to go from (PHB II and Dragon Magic) but still.

Spell Level: 3rd - lets a player character change into a Pseudodragon (CR 1, BAB +2)
Spell Level: 4th - lets a player character change into a Troll (CR 5, BAB +4, +30 hp)
Spell Level: 5th - lets a player character change into a Dragonne (CR 9th, BAB +9, +30 hp)
Spell Level: 6th - lets a player character change into a Young Red Dragon (CR 7th, BAB +13, +60 hp)
Spell Level: 7th - lets a player character change into an Aspect of Platinum (CR 12th, BAB +12, +110 hp)
Spell Level: 8th - lets a player character change into an Aspect of Tiamat (CR 13th, BAB +13, +100 hp)
Spell Level: 9th - lets a player character change into a Mature Adult Red Dragon (CR 18th, BAB +25, +150 hp)

There just seems to be no clear progression.

I'm thinking it should be something like this:
SL 3rd: BAB +1 to +2 (range of 2)
SL 4th: BAB +3 to +4 (range of 2)
SL 5th: BAB +5 to +7; +30 hp (range of 3)
SL 6th: BAB +8 to +11; +60 hp (range of 3)
SL 7th: BAB +12 to +15; +90 hp (range of 4)
SL 8th: BAB +16 to +19; +120 hp (range of 4)
SL 9th: BAB +20 to +25; +150 hp (range of 5)

Opinions?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Good luck finding a pattern.

I use the polymorph re-vamp rules available on Giant in the Playground. They make sense and are fair and balanced. Yay Rich Burlew! (and for OOtS too obviously).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads