Star Trek Picard extended Comic-Con trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Somebody remind me who Lal is?

Data created an offspring (in an episode entitled, unsurprisingly, "The Offspring", Season 3, episode 16), named Lal. She suffers a "cascade failure" when she starts to experience intense human emotion (fear of being separated from her parent), and had to be deactivated.

This was well prior to the "emotion chip" designed by Soong surfaced, allowing Data to process emotions.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Been a long time since I saw it. But, since she's an android, bringing her back isn't exactly a stretch.

It would require Data having done so off-screen, before his own death, and not having mentioned the fact that he did so before. That's... awkward.

Hussar

Legend
Why? We're talking several decades after TNG and the movies. That's a fair bit of tech development. It's not like someone else couldn't have rebuilt her.

It's not likely, true, but, it's not exactly a stretch either. Heck, someone decides to tinker with Borg Tech and uses this android shell to house stuff. Poof, Lal is back.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why? We're talking several decades after TNG and the movies. That's a fair bit of tech development. It's not like someone else couldn't have rebuilt her.

Why would anyone rebuild Lal, specifically? She was important to Data. Data is gone. There's no emotional reason to bring back Lal.

In terms of technology - remember, we are talking about an android whose positronic brain was unstable and catastrophically failed. Not a sound technological basis on which to build something. If you really wanted to bring back an android, you'd resurrect Data in B-4s body, and not have to stretch much credulity to do it. B-4 was simple, but at least stable.

I can understand bringing back a fan favorite or two (like Riker and Troi) just because. But a character that existed in one episode, and was only really important to another charcter.. who is currently dead? Not so much.
It's not likely, true, but, it's not exactly a stretch either.

I'm saying that conceptually, it is a stretch. There is no obvious reason to do this. So, now you have to start coming up with (possibly tortured and lame) justifications for the event happening. Why? Just to say you did it? What's the compelling ploit or emotional hook to it?

If it matters, the actress who played Lal (Hallie Todd) is not listed as being in the show.

Remove ads