Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

MarkB

Legend
A supernova would make life in the nearby systems impossible but it would be years for the radiation to get there. Their evaluation would have years of planning.
In our universe that's certainly the case. In Trek it might get more complicated, if some of that energy breaks through into warp speeds or subspace and can thus propagate faster than light.

Janx

Hero
Thanks for the additional info. I still don't buy Maddox as the Mars mastermind.

He was more of controlling boyfriend lusting over Data, and I hope in the 24th century, he got counseling and learned healthier relationship skills. in the end, he really wanted to create cybernetic life.

That said, who authorized chopping up B4? He might have been the less-able of Soong offspring, but was chopping him up appropriate?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Dahj-Mom hasn't called the other daughter out of concern

I am wondering if "Mom" was just a construct in Dahj's head. It would explain how she knew about Picard.

Even so, a better issue to raise about Soji is why did Dahj not try to warn her sister? Or mention Soji when Picard is telling her she's a synthetic? Either "I can't be a synthetic - I have a twin sister!" or "If I'm a synthetic then my twin sister must be one too!" Or maybe Dahj did not know about Soji?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I am wondering if "Mom" was just a construct in Dahj's head. It would explain how she knew about Picard.

Even so, a better issue to raise about Soji is why did Dahj not try to warn her sister? Or mention Soji when Picard is telling her she's a synthetic? Either "I can't be a synthetic - I have a twin sister!" or "If I'm a synthetic then my twin sister must be one too!" Or maybe Dahj did not know about Soji?
I did think that was a little weird because Soji knew she had a twin. Maybe Dahj was still a little averse to letting Picard know everything about her.

I wonder if the romulans that attacked Dahj are wanting to know the secrets of synthetics to rebuild the romulan race.

MarkB

Legend
That said, who authorized chopping up B4? He might have been the less-able of Soong offspring, but was chopping him up appropriate?
Bear in mind that all synthetics were banned in the wake of the Mars incident. Disassembly was probably the least bad option for B4 at that point.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, that's a point. In Trek, Data was granted full citizenship. That was where we first met Maddox in that episode. Would the other synthetics not also be granted full citizenship? Which means they would be considered "alive" and "people". IOW, not subject to being disassembled.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Y'know, that's a point. In Trek, Data was granted full citizenship. That was where we first met Maddox in that episode. Would the other synthetics not also be granted full citizenship? Which means they would be considered "alive" and "people". IOW, not subject to being disassembled.
What can be given can be taken away.

Hussar

Legend
What can be given can be taken away.
Again, this paints the Federation in a very, very sinister light. If they can revoke something like someone's "alive" status, that is a horrible precedent. We're talking straight up Nazi playbook here. Data's status as a lifeform wasn't really something that could be revoked.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Again, this paints the Federation in a very, very sinister light. If they can revoke something like someone's "alive" status, that is a horrible precedent. We're talking straight up Nazi playbook here. Data's status as a lifeform wasn't really something that could be revoked.
I didn't say it was nice, just that it was possible. I mean, what's your alternative explanation for what happened? Murdering them without revoking citizenship doesn't make it better.

MarkB

Legend
One of the episode's plot points is that Data was the only example of a truly sentient android. Perhaps the others didn't meet the requirements - not even B4

Remove ads