Star Wars: reboot/remake?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Might wanna read the wiki entry on Grey Jedi.

Onscreen both Luke and Rey used dark side type powers (force choke/lightning).

That doesn't mean that they were "neutral", which is essentially what "Grey Jedi" are supposed to be.

Luke and Rey, on screen, are both still of the Light Side. They may use a power once or twice, but don't fall outright. In current canon, there's Dark, and there's Light. Nobody lingers in between. The Force is a step function, and there is no saddle point to rest in the middle.

I can understand the pushback on Grey Jedi. They are, in effect, trying to have their cake and eat it too - all the powers, but none of the drawbacks.

Zardnaar

Legend
That doesn't mean that they were "neutral", which is essentially what "Grey Jedi" are supposed to be.

Luke and Rey, on screen, are both still of the Light Side. They may use a power once or twice, but don't fall outright. In current canon, there's Dark, and there's Light. Nobody lingers in between. The Force is a step function, and there is no saddle point to rest in the middle.

I can understand the pushback on Grey Jedi. They are, in effect, trying to have their cake and eat it too - all the powers, but none of the drawbacks.

I like grey Jedi conceptually but it's the equivalent of playing with fire.

I'm fine with it in terms of Jedi who have left the order.

They did use the concept to tell some good stories including force traditions/beliefs where the idea was to lure people to the dark side.

Not sure if the term dark Jedi is kosher anymore but it's clear enough for a Jedi that's fallen to the dark side.

If you use the term for someone who uses both the light and dark side you're either transitioning to the dark side or had better wake up and stop doing what you're doing.

Ahsoka is an ex Jedi but she hasn't fallen to the dark side. So in that regard grey Jedi are fine IMHO.

Palps wasn't exactly subtle (give into your anger, strike me down). But yeah more than one way to lure someone to the dark side.

In older EU works, tapping into the Dark would limit your access to Light, and vice versa. So being "Gray" meant that you could never proceed to full power of either side. If more modern stuff gives them full access to both, then, yeah, that's just total cheese.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Yep. The biggest problem with Grey Jedi is the idea that one can sit in the center and not be pulled into the Dark. That is the opposite of the story being told in the movies.

Every time in canon material that someone claims to be neither light nor dark, the end up either lying about not being darkside, or they fall to the darkside.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep. The biggest problem with Grey Jedi is the idea that one can sit in the center and not be pulled into the Dark. That is the opposite of the story being told in the movies.

Every time in canon material that someone claims to be neither light nor dark, the end up either lying about not being darkside, or they fall to the darkside.

Generally it's the way it went in the old EU as well with a few exceptions.

Those exceptions were special circumstances, one off type deals where you paid the ultimate price, or teetering on falling to the dark side.

Certain force beliefs and traditions were a maybe as well but it wasn't clear in most cases if they were correct.

Jedi and Sith generally couldn't teleport but other users had figured it out but they were also aliens.

Jacen (hands kid) channeled a huge amount of the force both light and dark and just about died.

He fell to the dark side later with the intention of being a good Sith. Ended about as well as you expect.

They had been dropping hints for a while and it was a very slow turn. When he made the final decision it had been obvious for a while.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Generally it's the way it went in the old EU as well with a few exceptions.

Those exceptions were special circumstances, one off type deals where you paid the ultimate price, or teetering on falling to the dark side.

Certain force beliefs and traditions were a maybe as well but it wasn't clear in most cases if they were correct.

Jedi and Sith generally couldn't teleport but other users had figured it out but they were also aliens.

Jacen (hands kid) channeled a huge amount of the force both light and dark and just about died.

He fell to the dark side later with the intention of being a good Sith. Ended about as well as you expect.

They had been dropping hints for a while and it was a very slow turn. When he made the final decision it had been obvious for a while.
Respectfully, while I’ve read a decent amount of the EU books and played most of the games, I don’t really care about it in terms of Star Wars canon, and only ever did in the context of having a friend who had co tributes some bits to the canon over the years.

I think that's it. If you can have all of the cool powers but don't need to adhere to any weird (or terrible) moral or ethical rules to do so, being a Jedi or falling to the Dark Side is dumb.
Just do the gray thing and you're fine!
The only way "Gray" Jedi or Force users seem to work is if they still come with some serious drawbacks en par of the Dark Side or the Jedi Order rules.

I think mostly the EU did it that way. There were alternate force traditions that had some other weird rules that limited them, or they just were more dabblers than msters. The ones that tried to be inside the Jedi/Sith traditions and still be gray typically ended up falling to the dark side.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think that's it. If you can have all of the cool powers but don't need to adhere to any weird (or terrible) moral or ethical rules to do so, being a Jedi or falling to the Dark Side is dumb.
Just do the gray thing and you're fine!
The only way "Gray" Jedi or Force users seem to work is if they still come with some serious drawbacks en par of the Dark Side or the Jedi Order rules.

I think mostly the EU did it that way. There were alternate force traditions that had some other weird rules that limited them, or they just were more dabblers than msters. The ones that tried to be inside the Jedi/Sith traditions and still be gray typically ended up falling to the dark side.

Even in the old EU the gray traditions generally fell to the dark side or had to ditch the dark side elements.

They had a couple of main theories about the force and the few actual grey force users were usually special one off type event. They couldn't draw on the dark side regularly.

Towards the end of it Luke was Uber powerful but took a hands off approach because of the dark side.

The grey Jedi type teachings were generally seen as temptation to start in the path of the dark side. Just more subtle.

Luke let his Jedi have families though.

Remove ads