• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars - where did "force healing" come from?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm curious about the Force skills of "heal self" and "heal another". Where on earth do they come from?

I can't see any evidence from any of the films that this kind of ability exists - in fact, should such force powers be around they would surely be vital for everyone to know! Qui-Gonn could have been saved! Shmi could have been saved! Anakin needn't have fallen to the dark side!

Those healing force skills would have upset most of the films ;)

So, back to the original question. WHERE did they come from? Would it be advantageous to actually remove them from the game? Without doing that, I can't see any of the force-users NOT taking these skills, and that will make the game seem much less like the film to me...

Cheers

Zenon

First Post
Obi-wan heals Luke in Ep IV after he has been attacked by the Tusken Raiders (at least this is what the novel implies, it's not so clear in the film).

Feel free to remove or weaken it. (Oh, damn, no subdual damage in Starwars D20, right?)

Considering the terrifying damage weapons in Starwars do, it might be fair to give these skills, but even in the novels, Jedi Healing was time intensive and not the kind of thing you would do within a combat...

Mustrum Ridcully

Cornelius

First Post
I haven't read any Star Wars novels, but all of the computer games involving Jedi action seem to involve Force Healing (Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, etc)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
OK, interesting comments, thanks. I've not read any of the novels (apart from novelisations of films), and I don't think I'll allow these into my game. Too much like "magic", not enough like the movies for my liking.

(I'd always considered that Kenobi was just "bringing Luke round" - the equivalent of treat injury (in this case just recognising that there was no serious injury)

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
In the novels I also remeber Ben healing Luke after the Tusken raiders attacked him.
For the game I don't think its that powerful. Its no more powerful than the medkits. It can only be used like once a day per character and they don't regenerate limbs or anything like that.

The force heal basically heals Vitality. They can heal some wounds but if would take days for the force to do that. Bacta Tanks are for bringing people back from near death, the force will keep you alive long enough to get to one.

estevans_lackey

First Post
I know, I know...

Luke self heals himself while meditating apon the force in either episode 7 or 8 (Zahn novels respectively). He was somewhere in the forest on a planet that I can't think of right now. Mara Jade was with him at the time.

(sorry. read them along time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...)

Mykr... And it seems to be no real healing (especially in that forest, where the Ysalamari "dispelled" the Force), but more sime kind of "ignore the pain" ability, but I might be wrong...

Nowhere in the movies you see a Jedi (at least until now) doing real healing...

Aaron2

Explorer
Force Healing

Here's the relavent section from the novel ...

"Walking over, the old man bent beside Luke and reached out to touch his forehead, then his temple. Shortly, the unconscious youth was stirring and mumbling like a dreaming sleeper."

Not very conclusive (or helpful) either way. Frankly, I think the RPG has the force totally screwed up. Their "pick a power from column A" approach just doesn't match up with the films where ever Jedi does, pretty much, the same things. Especially now when we see Yoda using Force Lightning!

There's a thread on the WOTC web page where myself and others talked about a set of Force rules that were closer to the actual movies.

Aaron (SW heretic)

Remove ads