• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starting magic items for level 5 characters

DarksydeCAD

Villager
I am going to be running a campaign set in a world like Ebbron (High Magic). I have 5 level 5 characters starting and wanted to give each one of them a magic item that they would have picked up between level 1 and 5. Any suggestions or good locations (Besides the official books) to find items that would be a good fit?

The classes are:
Sorcerer / Warlock
Paladin
Theif
Warforge
and one not sure yet

Thanks for any advice

*Thank you all for the advice and feedback*

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
No matter what, 5e really begins to break down the minute magic weapons are introduced. So my philosophy is to do what's fun. Maybe allow the players to each describe something they envision their character would have, and try to make sure the item isn't unbalancing compared to the others.

5th level is right about when characters should be getting their first permanent magic item. So maybe only give them each a few one-shot items and then have each find an appropriate permanent item as you play through the adventure.

Quickleaf

Legend
I am going to be running a campaign set in a world like Ebbron (High Magic). I have 5 level 5 characters starting and wanted to give each one of them a magic item that they would have picked up between level 1 and 5. Any suggestions or good locations (Besides the official books) to find items that would be a good fit?

The classes are:
Sorcerer / Warlock
Paladin
Theif
Warforge
and one not sure yet

Thanks for any advice

Here are the guidelines I like best...

1 common consumable every level from 1 to 5.
1 uncommon consumable every level from 6 to 10.
1 rare consumable every level from 11 to 15.
1 very rare consumable every level from 16 to 19.
1 legendary consumable at level 20.

1 uncommon permanent item at level 4, and another at level 7.
1 rare permanent item at level 10 and another at level 13.
1 very rare permanent item at level 16.
1 legendary permanent item at level 19.

This roughly translates to:

One roll on Table A for every level from 1 to 5.
One roll on Table B for every level from 6 to 10.
One roll on Table C for every level from 11 to 15.
One roll on Table D for every level from 16 to 18.
One roll on Table E for levels 19 and 20.
One roll on Table F at level 4 and again at level 7.
One roll on Table G at level 10 and again at level 13.
One roll on Table H at level 16.
One roll on Table I at level 19.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...al-quot-Magic-Item-Distribution#ixzz4DWLNm6VT

CapnZapp

Legend

The classes are:
Sorcerer / Warlock
Paladin
Theif
Warforge
and one not sure yet

Thanks for any advice
I suggest one completely random roll on Magic Item Table F to represent a "heirloom" item they have inherited from family or a mentor (or found on their travels).

Since this roll is entirely random the results are likely not immediately useful to the character's primary strengths.

I suggest you roll them up before the players level their characters. I once rolled up a Staff of the Python for a Paladin player that promptly multiclassed into Warlock just to be able to use his Staff :)

I run an Eberron game, but generally stick with 5e magic item guidelines for most magic items: House Cannith has shifted to selling to the middle class, and the nations tend to snap up most of the magical weapons around: stockpiling them for a possible future conflict.

Thus, whilst there are a range of magic items available for purchase, they aren't generally the "adventuring" ones found in the DMG. Cleaning, cooking, making life and travel more comfortable etc. - Stuff that is generally handwaved.

This was about the most combat-based item that I gave a starting character:

Riven
The Khyber shards in this gauntlet and handaxe bind a single air elemental: - one whose essence has been split between them and strives to be united. When apart, a misty line is visible between them, and they can be ordered to bring both components together.
The user must be attuned to be able to separate the gauntlet and handaxe. The handaxe is considered to have the Finesse property and can return to the wearer of the gauntlet after being thrown.
Riven may also be used as a grappling hook: wedging the axe component and then pulling the gauntlet to it. It grants advantage on Str(Athletics) checks to climb up surfaces where the axe could be wedged or stuck above.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
No matter what, 5e really begins to break down the minute magic weapons are introduced.

My experience has mostly been the opposite. In LMoP our group found the +1 longsword in the Redbrand hideout around level 3 and the game didn't break down at all. There were still challenging encounters and scary moments after that.

Remove ads