Starting wealth for 1st level characters

maransreth

Explorer
Did anyone else notice that the starting wealth of 1st level characters seems to have drastically gone up? Where am I basing this info on?
The character sheet for the halfling paladin.

At 1st level he starts with plate mail and a heavy shield. In 3.5 full plate costs 1500gp, so is this just meant to show what would happen if a character had plate armour, or is this a typo?

delericho

Legend
My guess (and it is just a guess) is that since 1st level characters are now closer to 4th leve 3e characters in terms of power, they have been equipped in a similarly powerful manner. That may, of course, be wrong.

With the reduced emphasis on magic items in the new edition, though, I would expect the "Wealth by Level" curve to be a lot less steep than it is in the current edition.

hong

WotC's bitch
delericho said:
My guess (and it is just a guess) is that since 1st level characters are now closer to 4th leve 3e characters in terms of power, they have been equipped in a similarly powerful manner. That may, of course, be wrong.

With the reduced emphasis on magic items in the new edition, though, I would expect the "Wealth by Level" curve to be a lot less steep than it is in the current edition.
Reduced emphasis on magic items, _and_ heavily nerfed spell effects. With much of the plot-device stuff kicked upstairs to the paragon and epic tiers, a lot of the reason for having 760,000 gp by 20th level should have gone away.

malraux

First Post
I'm kinda hoping that the first few levels won't be spent trading in all your crappy starting gear for the gear your character actually wants. I mean, in 3.5 you can't start off wielding the sword that has been in your family for generations, ever since your great great grandfather slew the dragon threatening the town. Either its not masterwork and you'll have to get a better one, or its out of your price range. Both options are dumb.

DogBackward

First Post
I'm guessing it's something like; "Pick one suit of armor, one shield, and two weapons at first level, and you have X starting gold." Of course, different classes could have different starting gear, or whatever, but that sounds like a decent way to do things. While a wizard starting with full plate seems way off, I don't see any reason why a paladin shouldn't be able to; it just plain makes sense.

delericho

Legend
malraux said:
I mean, in 3.5 you can't start off wielding the sword that has been in your family for generations, ever since your great great grandfather slew the dragon threatening the town.

Yeah, that was one aspect of 3.5e that I really didn't like. I considered brewing up some house rules to tie that sort of thing into a "Weapons of Legacy" approach of items that advanced with the character, but never got around to it.

Belgarath

First Post
DogBackward said:
I'm guessing it's something like; "Pick one suit of armor, one shield, and two weapons at first level, and you have X starting gold." Of course, different classes could have different starting gear, or whatever, but that sounds like a decent way to do things. While a wizard starting with full plate seems way off, I don't see any reason why a paladin shouldn't be able to; it just plain makes sense.

That would be how the palladium fantasy did it. I always kinda liked it. Each class has its own list of givens and then some extra gold. It makes a lot more sense when you think about it.

MaelStorm

First Post
DogBackward said:
Yes I agree with you and Belgarath, it definitely make a lot of sense.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I'm hoping a character gets a list of starting equipment too, myself. It doesnt have to be detailed, but if a fighter gets Plate armor, a two handed weapon or shield, 2 other weapons, and an 'adventuring kit' ALA the PHB2? I'll love it. Toss in a few extra gold for varieties sake in gear.

Remove ads