• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storm of Blades + Planeshaper + Epic Resurgence

the8bitdeity

First Post
How did he spend an action point to do this again? Martial Mastery doesn't work because Storm of Blades is a primal power.

But otherwise, yes: Storm of Blades is amazing. A warden can easily take the level 17 encounter power that gives a target a penalty to AC (and reflex) equal to his Con - which could be as much as 8 - and then multi into barbarian and pick up Storm of Blades. Using two encounter powers and an action point, they could hit pretty easily 9 times. And honestly the warden could be using a bloodclaw weapon instead of the reckless one - he's got the HP to take it, and using it two-handed means another +enhancement bonus to damage.

One legit way to get the power back: use a Torc of Power Preservation after using Storm of Blades the first time.

Never mentioned Martial Mastery, not sure where you get that from.

He has Planeshaper Epic Destiny Feature which grants one encounter power twice per encounter.

Plus Epic Resurgence to respawn Storm 1/enc.

Plus a Torc of PP to respawn Storm 1/day.

The character was basically fully optimized around the use of Storm of Blades.

the8bitdeity

First Post
Planeshaper Epic Destiny Feature for reference

Ultimate Adaptation (21th level): You increase your Intelligence by 2, and after an extended rest you can choose one encounter power. You can use that encounter power twice per encounter. When you take another extended rest, you can choose a different encounter power.

evilbob

Explorer
I just wondered because that's the only way I could think of off the top of my head to "action point and do it again" - but yes, that build sounds even more optimal.

Like I said it's not like a warden can't even pull this combo off by himself, although it might take a couple turns. As far as I can see it's just a highly optimized strategy and not illegal. Or at least, other legal avenues exist that are just as good, so it's probably fine.

Good/broken/wrong: now, that, I can't say. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sounds as if having erratte'd Blade Cascade, they forgot all about it when they wrote Storm of Blades :(

Considering all the effort which apparently went into 'the math' for level based bonuses to hit etc, it seems a shame that relatively little effort went into considering the impact of multiple attacks when static bonuses are applied to weapons.

Ah well.

the8bitdeity

First Post
Sounds as if having erratte'd Blade Cascade, they forgot all about it when they wrote Storm of Blades :(

Considering all the effort which apparently went into 'the math' for level based bonuses to hit etc, it seems a shame that relatively little effort went into considering the impact of multiple attacks when static bonuses are applied to weapons.

Ah well.

Personally my gripes are

1) Storm of Blades is just not fun for other players.

2) Reckless seems rife with abuse.

3) Planeshaper seems a bit over powered of an ED.

Akaiku

First Post
Storm of blades is broken. Also, you have a different barbarian attack that is 6 attacks for 1w+str encounter that isn't conditional on hitting. In the event that storm of blades is banned from your game and all.

the8bitdeity

First Post
Storm of blades is broken. Also, you have a different barbarian attack that is 6 attacks for 1w+str encounter that isn't conditional on hitting. In the event that storm of blades is banned from your game and all.

Which is this?

EDIT:
I see, Hurricane of Blades Enc 27

Equally broken IMO.

Last edited:

Akaiku

First Post
Which is this?

EDIT:
I see, Hurricane of Blades Enc 27

Equally broken IMO.

Less broken, actually. The point is that more or less any power that lets you hit multiple times and get your static bonus will have it's damage scale dialed up to 11.

My parties barbarian has about a +42 or so to damage without non-constant buffs. At level 16. My avenger has a +18. If I crit with my high crit executioner's axe, I occasionally out damage his at-will, if he rolls poorly. Now, take that 42 and multiply it by any number higher than one. Hilarity, (and dead guys) ensues.

the8bitdeity

First Post
Less broken, actually. The point is that more or less any power that lets you hit multiple times and get your static bonus will have it's damage scale dialed up to 11.

My parties barbarian has about a +42 or so to damage without non-constant buffs. At level 16. My avenger has a +18. If I crit with my high crit executioner's axe, I occasionally out damage his at-will, if he rolls poorly. Now, take that 42 and multiply it by any number higher than one. Hilarity, (and dead guys) ensues.

I guess the real question is, are multiple attacks the problem, or static bonuses?

1) War Chanter's Action Point Feature should probably only affect the next attack each PC makes?

2) Reckless should only be allowed to be used 1/turn?

3) Perhaps Storm / Hurricane of blades should have the 2H requirement as to limit cherry picking?

themilkman

First Post
Stare daggers at your players. Then say, "Behind the Ancient Black Dragon, there lurks... Another Ancient Black Dragon!"

Repeat if necessary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads