Streaming Services: Discussion and Power Rankings

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I think the best streaming service I subscribe to is The Criterion Channel because of the curation, which makes finding interesting new material easier for me and less hit or miss than Netflix's algorithm. (The 70s Horror collection that was up two years ago was fantastic, as was the Japanese Noir collection from last year.) Aside from that, I get the most value out of ESPN, Peacock, and Paramount because of their soccer coverage, and Prime for their rental library.

1. Youtube because let's be honest, folks watch it more then they watch te subscriptions they actually pay for.
2. Prime because even if a lot of the stuff they produce is crap, no one gets the subscription for the shows, yoy get it fir shopping and the shows are & amazon music is a bonus.
3. Disney Plus/Netflix tie, Disney have the deeper library, but Netflix despite alot of duds, like a lot of duds, has 3 or 4 IPs (Lucifer sort of, Stranger Things, Kobra Kai, and Bridgerton I hear), that they are spinning off into other series. Plus best tech. They are smart for cutting the wheat from the chaff.
4. Cravetv has all the star treks (Canada), Corner Gas, Friends, and so on although it doesn't have the Librarians or Whitney anymore.

The rest I know nothing about them and don't use them.

Hex08

Hero
1. Youtube because let's be honest, folks watch it more then they watch te subscriptions they actually pay for.
I watch YouTube for fewer hours than I do some other streaming services. It's good for watching short stuff on my break at work or if I'm killing time before heading out to meet friends but I don't have a way of blocking their ads on my smart TV and I'm not going to sit in front of my computer all day watching YouTube so my adblocker takes care of it. It's not that I have an issue with ads, it's that YouTube does them so poorly. Unlike a TV show where a natural break is built in for the commercial YouTube just slaps in an ad whenever. Drives me nuts. I'm sure I am in the minority on this one.

Remove ads