D&D 5E Strixhaven Has Exams, Jobs, & Extracurricular Activities

It's IGN's turn to preview part of Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, taking a look at exams, extracurricular guilds, and jobs. An example of an exam includes the Magical Physiologies exam, and a success gives them an advantage when fighting those creatures. The exams have a studying and a testing phase; the test itself is two ability checks. Extracurricular activities include a LARP (live...

It's IGN's turn to preview part of Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, taking a look at exams, extracurricular guilds, and jobs.

exam.jpg

An example of an exam includes the Magical Physiologies exam, and a success gives them an advantage when fighting those creatures. The exams have a studying and a testing phase; the test itself is two ability checks.

Extracurricular activities include a LARP (live action roleplaying) guild, a Mage Tower (a game like Quidditch but not Quidditch) cheer squad, a drama guild, the Iron-Lifter's Society, and so on. If you do one of these activities you get a Student Die every long rest which bumps one of your ability checks.

Jobs allow you to work at the Bioblioplex, Bow's End Tavern, or Firejolt Cafe, or on campus grounds.

jgsugden

Legend
All nighter - you get 1 level of exhaustion (giving you disadvantage on all ability checks) that can't be removed until after the exam (which is weird - why can't you remove it with magic)? In exchange, you get 2 rerolls you can use during the 2 testing rolls. You roll twice, and then get to reroll one of the dice, and then can choose to reoll a die again - but you have to take the lowest score you rolled between the two end results.

You roll with disadvantage. If one or more of the dice is below 11, you'll reroll that die. If there is still one beneath 11, you'll reroll again.

You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting both dice at 11 or above. Odds are the lower will be closer to 11 than 20. Not great.

If you start to reroll, you'll run the risk of lowering your results - but the die that is not rerolled serves as a cap on the result for the ability check. If you roll both rerolls, you can get a real bad result. It seems like you get a pretty decent chance of skimming by, but a decent chance of failing.

Bolares

Hero
All nighter - you get 1 level of exhaustion (giving you disadvantage on all ability checks) that can't be removed until after the exam (which is weird - why can't you remove it with magic)? In exchange, you get 2 rerolls you can use during the 2 testing rolls. You roll twice, and then get to reroll one of the dice, and then can choose to reoll a die again - but you have to take the lowest score you rolled between the two end results.

You roll with disadvantage. If one or more of the dice is below 11, you'll reroll that die. If there is still one beneath 11, you'll reroll again.

You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting both dice at 11 or above. Odds are the lower will be closer to 11 than 20. Not great.

If you start to reroll, you'll run the risk of lowering your results - but the die that is not rerolled serves as a cap on the result for the ability check. If you roll both rerolls, you can get a real bad result. It seems like you get a pretty decent chance of skimming by, but a decent chance of failing.
You just gave me a headache

Now that we’re adults with jobs, schoolwork seems like an escape from work work. Especially when the subject is magic!
Christ, no. Whatever about university, **** school. If I never have to do another gruelling, three hour, prove it or lose it examination again, that requires me to know three years of material in my head, I will be happy.

Work is so much better than school it's not even funny.

Remove ads

Remove ads