• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subscription levels dropping

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey folks,

I'm posting this thread to find out what you guys would like from an EN World subscription. The $3 subscriptions have been running for a while now, but in the last three months we've been seeing cancellations in droves - to the point where we're dipping to unsustainable levels. We're getting a dozen cancellations per day at the moment, and that's adding up to a lot of money over a few months!

That's OK - I'm not trying to guilt anyone into subscribing. But the problem with cancellations is that we don't have any feedback mechanism in place. So if you've cancelled your subscription in the last few months, it would be great if you could let me know why (obviously, if it's personal financial stuff it's none of my business - but if it's because you aren't getting something you expected or wanted, I'm listening).

We've lost hundreds of subscribers in just the last three months (it's odd that they all started happening at the same time). If any of your folks could offer some insight as to why, I'd be grateful, because PayPal doesn't tell us why! :)

Nebten

First Post
The ability to use credit cards without having to sign on to Pay Pal to use it. That is my obsticle. It doesn't matter how often I call them or ask them to reset my password, it never works correctly. I can rant on, but that is my complaint.

Of course, I do have some extra pounds I could send over to yah . . .

The ability to use credit cards without having to sign on to Pay Pal to use it. That is my obsticle. It doesn't matter how often I call them or ask them to reset my password, it never works correctly. I can rant on, but that is my complaint.

Of course, I do have some extra pounds I could send over to yah . . .

That might be a barrier to new subscribers but that wouldn't explain a lot of subscribers already using paypal to suddenly cancel.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
When I first dropped, it was because of PayPal. At the time, if there had been any other way to pay, I probably would've kept the sub up. Since then, however, I've had issues come up that have meant I haven't been playing D&D at all so haven't even been checking the site. And now, it's simply because I'm flat broke so until I get some bills paid and some regular work, I have to make sacrifices.

I think a lot of people will have those sorts of ups and downs. I don't maintain a yearly subscription to DDI. I get one month, let it lapse, get another three months 'cause I'm feeling rich and I'm in three games of D&D, then something happens and I'm not playing anymore and I let it lapse for a couple of months. I wouldn't read much into what probably is nothing more than a coincidence of dropping numbers. People's interest and support for things will always wax and wane.

I think also there was probably an initial burst of interest, especially because of the free access to the Burning Sky campaign, which was always going to drop off. How to maintain a critical core number of subscribers, though, is probably going to be a pot-luck thing. I doubt anyone here has the magical solution. It'll probably take constant and ever evolving experimentation. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even once you hit on something that works, it won't work for long, and you'll probably have to find something new every few months to reinspire people to maintain their sub.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think it's also the truth.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Seeing that new charge each month kinda forces you to evaluate the "Is it worth it" question repeatedly, even when the charge itself is rather small. It only takes once for someone to think, "Nah, I haven't been on there as much lately, I should cancel this subscription."

We're working on a new campaign saga, developed wholly for 4th edition (rather than a conversion). While it would definitely be several months at least before we can roll that out, I wonder how well that would draw subscribers.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
We're working on a new campaign saga, developed wholly for 4th edition (rather than a conversion). While it would definitely be several months at least before we can roll that out, I wonder how well that would draw subscribers.

*Whispers in a mysterious voice*

If you convert it to Pathfinder, they will come (too).

*Whispers in a mysterious voice*

If you convert it to Pathfinder, they will come (too).

I don't have enough system mastery of Pathfinder to feel comfortable writing for it, though I'm sure Russ would be open to discussing a conversion once we're closer to actual release.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads