D&D 5E Switching from Pathfinder to 5E

thewok

First Post
A question, though - has 5th Edition gotten rid of reach? I don't see mention of it in the basic rules, and it seems to me that Huge and larger monsters may have a problem without it.
In a manner of speaking. Reach is not an assumption of Large and bigger creatures in 5E. This makes perfect sense, since a monster's space is not necessarily how big it is (though that is obviously a factor), but also how much room it can "take up" in combat. Look at Medium or Small creatures. Medium creatures aren't five feet wide and deep. That's just the space they take up with footwork and weapons striking and parrying. Small creatures even take up the same space in combat.

So, long limbs should already be considered in the creature's size category, assuming a roughly humanoid shape. It makes sense, then, that Large-plus creatures shouldn't have Reach by default. However, unusually long limbs, long weapons like polearms, and so on .... These can all grant Reach to a creature, regardless of size.

Agamon

Adventurer
Another cool thing about reach is how Opportunity Attacks work. You can move around within someone's reach, no problem. It's not until you leave their reach that you get attacked as a reaction.

So no more, "I ain't charging the giant, you charge the giant!*"

*Charging giants is not endorsed by this post.

Chriscdoa

Explorer
I'm in the same boat: I defected from 4e to Pathfinder, but as much as I've loved Paizo, Pathfinder is a headache to run.

The big thing to realize is that in 3.x/PF, characters got taller: there numbers got larger and larger. AC, saves, skills, attacks, spell DCs, etc all got huge. My PF group is 6th level, and hitting AC 30+ is not uncommon. 5e gets wider: ACs, saves, skills, etc don't get as big, but you gain more options. Once you adjust to this, the game feels smoother and less stepped than PF.

Another thing: Magic item math isn't assumed so you don't need to keep trading in weak or un-wanted stuff for better plussed weapons, armor, cloaks, rings, and stat boosters.

This is me also.
i gave up on 4e quickly cos it got messy with all the powers and needing to have DDI.
Pathfinder seemed to give me all i wanted and i loved all the books.
BUt i quickly realised that going up levels assumed PCs would be optimised which they werent.
I hate the massive hit bonuses of high CR monsters, and trying to sscale it down doesnt work.
So 5e for me , but probably in golarion.

jadrax

Adventurer
Character creation still feels very 3e/3.5/PF to me, in the way that class abilities are doled out, the way multiclassinc works, the hit points and spell lists, etc.

5e so far seems a lot more flexable in how to build a concept though, due to backgrounds. You can play an acceptable Fighter/Thief just by playing a Fighter with the Criminal background, no need to even multiclass which is a big step up.

Another advantage in character generation is you don't have to sink 20 ton of feats into getting round restrictions. Everyone has spring attack, everyone has finesse, everyone can duel weld light weapons. Also, some multi-class combinations that just do not work in 3.5 without prestige classes look like they will be viable. Wizard/Cleric for example. I actually created a Sorcerer 3/Wizard 3 for a arena game last night and it worked just fine! That did not happen under 3.5.

Werebat

Explorer
Another cool thing about reach is how Opportunity Attacks work. You can move around within someone's reach, no problem. It's not until you leave their reach that you get attacked as a reaction.

So no more, "I ain't charging the giant, you charge the giant!*"

*Charging giants is not endorsed by this post.

Hrm. Not sure I like that one. What is the point of reach weapons, then?

Would seem that running up to hit a monster that can reach 15' would mean it hits you before you hit it.

jadrax

Adventurer
Would seem that running up to hit a monster that can reach 15' would mean it hits you before you hit it.

I see were you are coming from, but I always found that it really slowed down combat as standard rule.

I think its a lot similar if being able to hit creatures before they reach you either requires Readying an Action or a special ability/feat.

Gargoyle

Adventurer

It is still useful to hit targets further away.

But also remember that one goal of 5e is to keep the basic rules simple to speed things up. We will see more tactical options later for tables that want more depth in combat, and I would expect more rules on attacks of opportunity.

I've played since the Red Box set, and really like old Basic D&D. Enjoyed 3E, avoided 4E, and rather liked Pathfinder. The local PFS group is great. But the power creep in the system is annoying, as is the fighter getting outclassed at his own schtick by the barbarian (a problem of late 3.5, and post-APG PF), and the rogue getting outclassed by multiple other options.

I'll definitely give 5E a try. Will probably houserule the barbarian if it seems he is a better fighter than the fighter. And I will probably create an optional wizard variant that does NOT have 5E Basic's offensive cantrips, but instead has some sort of archivist-type ability to use knowledge to advise allies (a non-magical Mass Guidance or Mass Resistance?), and actually has to fall back on weapons. Maybe call that "Wizard" and the other one "Mage." I know I would definitely prefer to play the one that a) has his knowledge being almost as important as his spells, and b) CAN run out of magic and have to resort to a staff, dagger or crossbow. So I'd like to give that option.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter

For reach weapons, there's a feat that lets you strike first, in addition to some other goodies. So players can opt-in to that level of complexity if they want it, but you don't have to track it for everyone with reach.

Monsters known for their ability to strike first will have a special ability that says so. Monster stats in general resemble 4e much more than 3e, mostly just by virtue of having fewer stats and fewer+bigger special abilities. It is still possible to build NPCs just like PCs, as in 3e/PF, and a few of the enemies in the starter set are like that.

Remove ads