• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Grey Coast (IC)

A Crazy Fool

First Post
Felix:

"They..." the oficer realizes he can't provide a good explanaition and doesn't bother, "...ah, the Hells if I know. They aren't suppoused to be here, though, that's for sure."

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Jenna, Human Hexblade HP: 28/28

Jenna looks between the city guards and the almost mechanically approaching newcomers, struggling to figure out what is going on. None of it makes sense to her, and what she overhears of Felix and Caramip's inquires does nothing to assuage her growing unease.

Think Jenna. The guards are either afraid or just don't have the authority to confront these people. Okay - why would that be? They aren't the Emperor's soldiers unless things have changed a lot in the past five years. Maybe they're part of the Esdah's army? That might make sense. But it doesn't explain what they want. Or who they are, they could be anything!

Jenna slides forward behind Caramip and Felix, and speaks softly, hopefully for their ears only, "Can either of you detect whether they have any magical auras? They.. might be part of the Wizard Kings' army."

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Felix, upon hearing the guard's response, is immediately alarmed. "Thank you, good sir. Might I recommend that you keep your weapons loosened? If these men approach to bear trouble, then things are likely to get violent very quickly. Should this be the case, I will help in any way that I can. We can only hope that it will not come to that, however." He pauses for a moment, then speaks softly. "And I would recommend against invoking the name of the Nine Hells so lightly, lest you draw attention to yourself..."

As Jenna slides forward and whispers into his ear, Felix nods determinedly. "I will take that one step further, Jenna. Buy me roughly 20 seconds of time, and we will find out exactly what is going on here. Try to block their vision of me, and start speaking fairly loudly." Felix grasps his copper symbol, ready to hold it out and begin chanting as soon as Jenna and Caramip carry out his request.

[sblock=OOC]As soon as Jenna and Caramip speak loudly and move in front of me (if they do), I will crouch a little and cast detect thoughts on the group of newcomers who are the least likely to see me (whoever I have the most visual cover against). I must stress that you two pack in tight, because I would rather not have anybody think that I am casting an offensive spell, so avoiding them seeing me present the holy symbol and hearing me speak the verbal component would be nice. Any objections to this plan?[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
Roxanne moves with Herb and Hedowin towards the bookstore while looking back at Jenna following Felix. Please let her be okay. Roxanne thinks to herself. "What are those guys doing? Even the guards look worried. Whoever these others are, they aren't in uniform and shouldn't be on official business, right? So what's going on?" she wonders aloud.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Jenna, Human Hexblade HP: 28/28

“Right,” Jenna responds immediately, with a sharp nod. It’s something she’s used to – an order from a spellcaster. Certainly it was phrased as a request, but she takes it as a command. That’s the way it was ingrained in her in her training – and a distraction to allow for a mental probe was practically standard procedure when she was in active service.

“Caramip, I just have to say I love your hair. I mean, I absolutely adore it! I wish I could grow mine out like that, but you just can’t when you’re in my line of work. I mean somebody could just grab it and tug, and that’s the last thing you need when its life and death, you know? But oh, it’s wonderful! I’m sure you get asked about it all the time! How long did it take to grow like that? How do you put it up? Do you use magic, or does someone help you? Or do you just sleep with it like that? No! That seems like it would be too uncomfortable. Does it ever hurt your neck? How long does it take to wash it? I’ll bet you take great care of it…” Jenna gushes on and on about Caramip’s pyramid of hair, sliding closer as she gestures animatedly at her spiring hairdo.

As she helps form an impromptu distraction for Felix’s spell, she orders her thoughts strictly behind what she says, keeping her mental dialogue focused exclusively on her speech and line of conversation. She’s been around enough mind-reading magic and psionics to know to keep stray thoughts in line.

A Crazy Fool

First Post
OOC: Sorry I was so slow.

Felix:

"I am certainly glad for your help. As far as I can se, we'll need it"

Jenna's distraction seems to work. The oncoming people do not notice your spell. Thed thoughts you detect however, are very, very strange. In your mind, you see strange geometric pictures and you can 'hear' a string of words in a language you can't recognize repeated over and over. The pattern and the words both hurt your mind. From experience, this is not usually how a detect thoughts spell usually works.

(OOC: make a will save)

Jenna:

Your pereperation seems wise, you notice a prescence in your head for a few seconds. It is not the same as a detect thoughts spell. You don't recognize the sensation.

Nazhkandrias

First Post
[sblock=OOC]OK, my Will save was 1d20+6=12. OUCH, that can't be good. Hope it's nothing major... :confused:. Yeah, I'll wait to see the results of this save before posting anything, just in case it, like, removes my brains and replaces them with a microwaveable burrito, or something. :uhoh:[/sblock]

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Felix probes into the minds of the newcomers, only to be assaulted with a medley of bewildering shapes and words, and quickly and hastily withdraws the spell. His eyes cloud over, then go clear again in response to the shock of the experience. He sways for a moment, blinks, and involuntarily falls to one knee, trying to gather his thoughts. He shakes his head, shudders, and stumbles to his feet. "These... people? They are not... normal." He closes his eyes for a moment, and a calm expression washes over his features. He opens his eyes, and they snap back into cold focus. "As I said, there is something wrong here. Their thoughts are alien to me, and the town guard is expecting trouble. Loosen your weapons, and prepare to flee. We will follow the others, and should the situation turn hostile, then we shall have no choice but to create a diversion to aid in our flight. I will handle this, but the important thing is that we move. NOW." His voice wavers slightly on the last word, and he silently curses himself in frustration. Calm, you fool! Be calm, there is no reason to be frightened! Still, his body is not responding to his mental urges, and beneath his robes, his legs shake a little. Ignoring this, Felix prepares his mind for the possibility of magical combat, strengthening his mental link to the Nine Hells, in the event that he should have to call upon their aid once more.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Caramip had happily carried on a distracting conversation with Jenna, but had been somewhat disturbed by Felix's information. Her curiousity wanted to investigate these creatures further, but Jenna and Roxanne's fearful reaction to the soldiers had struck an almost motherly chord in the gnome. They seemed so young in comparison...

"Well then, shall we go back to the bookshop? I'm almost certain I saw a copy of Runes of Arcadavia in the Philosophy section," Caramip says casually, mentally contacting Quork as she begins to walk back the way they had come.

Quork, darling, I hope the alley behind the bookshop is clear. Do be a dear and let me know if it isn't?

Remove ads