• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

Bladesinger

Explorer
So, I got my PDF early, and here are my thoughts….

I love some of the changes a lot. Heroic Boon at 10th level is great, and I love the split in Spells and Rituals. I love Spell Circles and the 4 Spell Lists. Good, good changes.

However, I am not a fan of other changes. Spellblade having to choose from only Abjuration & Evocation is a step back. The Rogue Heroic Boon of Evade all damage is a must pick and a bit over-tuned for me. Giving them one extra Evasion would have been fine.

Lastly, correct me if I am wrong, but Paladin no longer gets Find Steed? Check me if I am wrong, but Find Steed is now a 2nd level Divine & Primordial Ritual. Clerics and Druids get Rituals at 1st level, so no problem there. Rangers can get Primordial Rituals at 10th level with their Heroic Boon. Lastly, Ritual Spells cannot be cast with Spell Slots. The Paladin gets no Ritual Spells anywhere. They can take the Ritualist Talent, but that seems….off? So, Paladin appears to not get Find Steed which is just weird to me. Somebody, please let me know if I am wrong on this.

The Monster Vault, on the other hand, is really, really good. Well done!

Overall, it is a meh for me. I love supporting Kobold Press, though, so I’m glad I got this one.

zakael19

Adventurer
That's a toughie; I am smart enough to develop an opinion on something I see as an issue, but not smart enough to do my own design, generally speaking.

I know it's a contentious issue. MCDM dropped them entirely from Flee, Mortals! (probably my favorite creature book), but that book had specific design focus.

A quick web search finds LOADS of discussions, blog posts, YouTube videos, etc. with proposed fixes. It would take me a while to go through and find one(s) I liked, and I'd still have to playtest them with my table to see how the party felt as well.

Some interesting ideas I see from quick skims;

Charging the nasty HP, or Actions to remove Conditions imposed by failed Save.

Angry GM apparently did one where the creature has multiple independent HP pools; lock the creature down for a while, beat on it, but when that pool is exhausted, all conditions end and you move on to the next pool.

Are any of these perfect? IDK. Are they at least interesting enough to try as a compromise between letting players DO THE THING and having a nasty survive long enough to be a threat? Worth exploring at least, methinks.

Flee, Mortals! still has what are essentially Legendary Resistances for certain solos - they just have an interesting tradeoff that diminishes the monster some how, and thus feels better for the players (along with giving a counter of how many resistance tokens the monster has). I feel like that's a really good way to do things.

I think most higher level villain groups have a way to push a save for a CCed person as well, either via bonus action from the leader/support characters / "villain action" etc. It's a good balance.

mamba

Legend
Has any other publisher already announced releasing material compatible to TotV by the way?
the KS came with an adventure pack that includes third party adventures

The DMG also has an adventure pack offering

There was a related bestiary KS

Finally, this released yesterday or so

PSimpson

Villager
My feelings are very mixed. There's some great stuff in here. I love Luck Points, the Mechanist, the Fighter, Weapon Options, the Lineages & Heritages. The Monster Vault definitely beats the MM, I'll probably use it for anything not in Flee Mortals!.

On the down side, the subclasses are sooooo limited. That part looks like an srd, not a PHB replacement. The thing is, this section is the CORE of the game to my(most?) players. I was really hoping this would be my table's new player book but I guess it's just going to be a book I use and pull house rules from. It's strange that while adding so much to the game KP decided to skimp on what's probably the most important section to most players.

The virality of the ORC license is also strange. During the OGL drama and the inception of Black Flag I never would have guessed that we'd be here, a year later and WotC's SRD is LESS restrictive than KP's BFRD. I'd have bet good money against that.

I still love KP. I'm still hoping for more Midgard content (not generic content like Wastes of Chaos). Fingers crossed for books of the quality of Margreve, Zobeck, TftS/BoET for more areas like the Northlands, the Mhorati, the Seven Cities, Allain, Dornig, ect.

Luckily my next campaign won't start until winter. By then I'll have gotten the A5e Player's guide and probably the new PHB to choose from for the player facing side of my game.

The BEST suggestion I've seen someone make is for KP to Kickstart a XGtE/TCoE style Player's supplement that's full of a revision of all of the many subclasses they've previously released in blogs, Warlock, Player's Guides, ToH, ect. Some more Lineage & Heritage, Backgrounds, and Talents won't hurt either.

fettpett

Explorer
My feelings are very mixed. There's some great stuff in here. I love Luck Points, the Mechanist, the Fighter, Weapon Options, the Lineages & Heritages. The Monster Vault definitely beats the MM, I'll probably use it for anything not in Flee Mortals!.

On the down side, the subclasses are sooooo limited. That part looks like an srd, not a PHB replacement. The thing is, this section is the CORE of the game to my(most?) players. I was really hoping this would be my table's new player book but I guess it's just going to be a book I use and pull house rules from. It's strange that while adding so much to the game KP decided to skimp on what's probably the most important section to most players.

The virality of the ORC license is also strange. During the OGL drama and the inception of Black Flag I never would have guessed that we'd be here, a year later and WotC's SRD is LESS restrictive than KP's BFRD. I'd have bet good money against that.

I still love KP. I'm still hoping for more Midgard content (not generic content like Wastes of Chaos). Fingers crossed for books of the quality of Margreve, Zobeck, TftS/BoET for more areas like the Northlands, the Mhorati, the Seven Cities, Allain, Dornig, ect.

Luckily my next campaign won't start until winter. By then I'll have gotten the A5e Player's guide and probably the new PHB to choose from for the player facing side of my game.

The BEST suggestion I've seen someone make is for KP to Kickstart a XGtE/TCoE style Player's supplement that's full of a revision of all of the many subclasses they've previously released in blogs, Warlock, Player's Guides, ToH, ect. Some more Lineage & Heritage, Backgrounds, and Talents won't hurt either.
They said over the weekend that Migard has more content coming. The Labryinth world book will also have some Midgard content (since it's at the center)

More player content is on it's way for classes, specifically in the Campaign Builder series (both Castles and Dungeons are written for ToV and will have more PC options.

Most of us are in agreement that the Subclasses were light but they were also on a page count with what they did put in there. There was some talk of another player supplement too at some point, but nothing confirmed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It pains me that the goblin heritage and lineage on their site was just a website thing, and not a preview from the Players Guide.

Remove ads