• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
It's going to take a while for me to decide what to do with this one. I backed the KS, so I have the PDF, but I did it so that I would have something to run online in games on Foundry.

Now that WotC has partnered with Foundry, I will have a fully supported version to work with, so I have to look at which is the better game. And I haven't decided on that yet. My group wants to try it, so I suppose that will be the important part.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Now that WotC has partnered with Foundry, I will have a fully supported version to work with, so I have to look at which is the better game. And I haven't decided on that yet. My group wants to try it, so I suppose that will be the important part.
Having the options to pull from both WotC and Kobold Press versions of classic monsters on Foundry is pretty great, though. At worst, just call all the Tome of Beasts ones variants, or use those stats for lieutenants or other special NPCs.

GMToolbox

Villager
I did a video on my Youtube channel but overall I am liking it. I had recently been looking at the recent playtest of One D&D and was seeing some stuff I really liked. But after getting my hands on TOV I think I like the class abilities better for the most part.
The Luck system is great! And the monster vault will replace my Monster Manual even in my 5e games. Its just better. TOV is still 5e and if you are looking for "not 5e" this isn't the system for you. If you are looking for 5e made better or 5e without WoTC than this is your system. The fact that I can take any of my 5e material and use it in TOV is great and they even provided a free conversion guide that I really like. So now I can take my 5e subclasses, races, and other stuff and easily convert it to TOV. Overall, I call TOV a win. Are there things I don't love? Sure but I'll just change those things, or homebrew a little.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And the monster vault will replace my Monster Manual even in my 5e games.
Looking at the table of contents, I was surprised to see how many monsters aren't in it, more than I thought were on the product identity list. (I can't come up with examples off the top of my head, I'm afraid.) So having access to the WotC monsters, even as a back-up, seems like it might be necessary if I followed suit. (Monster Vault seems like the first book I'd pick up and use, for myself.)

Marc Radle

Legend
Looking at the table of contents, I was surprised to see how many monsters aren't in it, more than I thought were on the product identity list. (I can't come up with examples off the top of my head, I'm afraid.) So having access to the WotC monsters, even as a back-up, seems like it might be necessary if I followed suit. (Monster Vault seems like the first book I'd pick up and use, for myself.)

We had to leave room for Monster Vault 2, didn’t we? :)

What I like about Tales of the Valant's monster book is that the monsters do high damage. The Fey Guardian, for example, at CR 5, can output 40 damage a round. A handful of these, given their other various tricks, can be a real threat. It means combat is serious, and that players will need to rely on some outside the box tactics to win from time to time.

Remove ads