Talls Strongholds and Followers adventure - Full

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Thanks, I'll see if I keep the story as is or if your input changes anything. Do you have a deadline in mind for when my PC should be ready to go?

Thanks, I'll see if I keep the story as is or if your input changes anything. Do you have a deadline in mind for when my PC should be ready to go?

I hope not. I just can't find the time to deep dive with the PHB (to pick out spells). I'm thinking Arcane Knight. I just wish it was Charisma based instead of Int based. It's not like it uses the spell book paradigm for spells.

TallIan

Explorer
Not yet, I wasn't expecting much this side of New Year's day. I'm surprised we got this much done already. I appreciate it, as it lets me start to line things up in my head. I guess no one here went away for the holiday?
I hope not. I just can't find the time to deep dive with the PHB (to pick out spells). I'm thinking Arcane Knight. I just wish it was Charisma based instead of Int based. It's not like it uses the spell book paradigm for spells.
I kind of see your point, but I also think the last thing that's needed is another CHA caster. Relying on a tertiary stat for a major part of you class shtick is very limiting. I think they get a lot better at level 10 with Eldritch Strike, but I've never played one that far. I've seen a lot of people suggest that Transmutation school would make more sense for EK than Evocation

Okay, here's my first draft of Pei, the fighter from the far south. Still need to figure out what I'm going to spend my money on.

Name: U'Tempei !Nothen
Race: Human Female
Background: Far Traveler
Class: Eldritch Knight Fighter-5
Alignment: Neutral Good
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Inspiration: No

Strength: 10 (+0), save +3
Athlethics: +0​

Dexterity: 18 (+4)
+Acrobatics: +7
Sleight of Hand: +4
Stealth: +4​

Constitution: 16 (+3), save +6

Charisma: 10 (+0)
Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
+Persuasion: +3​
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 11
Initiative: +4
AC: 16
Speed: 30 ft
Hit Dice: 5d10+20; Spent HD: none
HP: 54/54

Intelligence: 13 (+1)
+Arcana: +4
+History: +4
Investigation: +1
Nature: +1
Religion: +1​

Wisdom: 8 (-1)
Animal Handling: -1
+Insight: +2
Medicine: -1
+Perception: +2
Survival: -1​

+Proficient

[sblock="COMBAT"]OFFENSE Initiative: +4
Weapon
Rapier
Hand Crossbow
Range

30/120
To Hit
+7
+9
Damage
1d8+4 (p)
1d6+4 (p)
Notes
finesse
light, [-]loading[/-]
DEFENSE
AC: 16 (armor + Dex)
+Strength: +3
Intelligence: +1
Dexterity: +4
Wisdom: -1
+Constitution: +6
Charisma: +0
EXPENDABLES
Action Surge: 1/1
Second Wind: 1/1
Spell slots remaining
1st Level: 3/3
[/sblock][sblock="FEATURES AND TRAITS"]Proficiencies and Languages
Languages: Common. Orcish
Armor: All Armor and Shields
Weapons: All simple and martial weapons
Tools: Shawm​
Race: Human (variant)
+1 to two abilities (Dex, Con); Speed: 30 feet; Size: Medium; Lifespan: 100 years
Bonus Skill and Feat: Persuasion, Crossbow Expert
Background: Far Traveler
Skills: Insight, Perception; Tools: shawm; Language: Orcish
Feature: All Eyes on You: Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland. You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.
Feats:
Crossbow Expert:Ignore the loading property on crossbows. Being within 5 feet of an opponent does not give disadvantage when using a crossbow against them. After taking the Attack action with a one handed weapon, can fire a crossbow in the other hand as a bonus action.​
Class: Fighter
Hit Die: d10; Saves: Str, Con; Skills: (any 2) Acrobatics, History
Fighting Style: Archery: +2 to attack rolls made with ranged weapons.
Second Wind: As a bonus action, regain 1d10+fighter level hp. Once per short of long rest.
Action Surge: Take an additional action on your turn. Once per short or long rest.
Archetype: Eldritch Knight:
Spellcasting: Save DC: 12; Attack Bonus: +4
Cantrips Known: dancing lights, mage hand
Spells Known: absorb elements, longstrider, shield
Weapon Bond: Summonable weapons. Two (rapier and hand crossbow)
Extra Attack: When taking the attack action, you may take two attacks.
[/sblock][sblock="EQUIPMENT"]Studded Leather (13#)
Hand Crossbow (3#)
quiver (20 bolts)
Rapier (2#)
[sblock="Winged Boots"]Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)

While you wear these boots, you have a flying speed equal to your walking speed. You can use these boots to fly for up to 4 hours, all at once or in several shorter flights, each one using a minumum of 1 minute from the duration. If you are flying when the duration expires, you descend at a rate of 30 feet per round until you land.

The boots regain 2 hours of flying capability for every 12 hours they are not in use.[/sblock]Belt
Belt hook (for crossbow)
spell component pouch
Waterskin
soft brown boots
dark robe
backpack
common clothes (3#)
Fine clothes (4#)
shawm (1#)
a blanket
bedroll (7#)
belt pouch (600 gp, 0 sp, )

Equipment Weight:
[sblock="Carrying Capacity"]
Encumbered
Heavily Encumbered
Carrying Capacity
Push, Drag, Lift
[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock="DESCRIPTION and HISTORY"]
Race: Human
Relationship: Varies
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: 140#
Complexion: dark
Skin: tattoos
Hair: Silver, long in back
Eyes: brown
Face Structure: angular
HISTORY
U'Tempei !Nothen (oo TEM pay <tok> NO thin) comes from a jungle land near the equator. She suggests people who have trouble pronouncing her name call her Pei as it means beauty in her native tongue. (Or she thinks it does, it's been 22 years since she's spoken the language and she has forgotten bits and pieces of it.)

She was cast out of her tribe (The M'gond!) because she refused to marry the chieftain as all girls did in their 13th summer. She has lived on her own, traveling as far from those lands as she could. The wonders of large cities attracted her and she learned many skills along the way. She has mercenaried in various petty squabbles in the region at various times. She learned the shawm as a child and has worked as part of a troupe of performers in the past.

She has known several men in her lifetime and each time it ended when they found her flirting with someone else. She does not understand this society's aversion to sex and nudity.

APPEARANCE
U'Tempei is a lean woman with dark skin. Her hair is long and silver and she has blue, red, and orange tattoos on her neck, cheeks, arms, and legs. They are lacy in design and contain arcane symbols if looked at closely (Perception DC 20). She dresses in colorful clothing when relaxing. Her work clothing is functional, dark, and gives her freedom of movement.

PERSONALITY
Traits: Independence is desired even though it doesn't make me happy
Traits: Can be motherly to people in her immediate group
Ideal: Hopes to find a reason to settle down someday
Bond: Protect those who cannot protect themselves
Flaw: Believes in true love, will sink a job if true love will be harmed
[sblock="Level History"]
AbilitiesSTRDEXCONINTWISCHA
Point buy299502
Initial10151513810
+Race10161613810
LevelhpFeatures
114Crossbow Expert
310Eldritch Knight
410+2 Dex
Total54
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Looks Good @jmuccheillo. I find that a PC's starting gear is enough to last several levels with nothing to spend your gold on until you 1000s, then players can start to buy flashy stuff. That's why I thought Xanathar's would be a good gold sink/source of stuff to buy.

I see no particular reason to be in Gravesford but your bond should make it easy enough to act as a hook. If you want you can have your Winged Boots need to be identified and you've heard of a young mage in the town that can do it.

Everyone can post their characters here

A fair point. For some reason I really like the rules, even though I don't really like randomness in character creation.

Also, once you spend money to find a "contact", why do you need to spend it again? You know the contact. If you spend more than a couple months in one location, you should find out about far more than 1d4 magic items. It's just a lousy implementation. Especially when if you roll too well initially, all the items available are completely out of reach cost-wise (aka power-wise).

TallIan

Explorer
Also, once you spend money to find a "contact", why do you need to spend it again? You know the contact. If you spend more than a couple months in one location, you should find out about far more than 1d4 magic items. It's just a lousy implementation. Especially when if you roll too well initially, all the items available are completely out of reach cost-wise (aka power-wise).

True It doesn’t take into account what you’re looking for - or even what level.

You mean like Kahlessnetor did

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases