D&D 5E Tasha's Mind Sliver and Shadow Sorcerer. The most efficient spellcaster?

Hohige

Explorer
1608752101227.png

The shadow sorcerer was already known to have enormous destructive power.
Twin Polymorph + The Hound of Ill Omem is insanely powerful. It's literally 100 (2 Giant Ape + The Sorcerer's Hound) damage per turn, applies disadvantage to saving throws and can still Knock the enemy prone.
The Hound as bonus action + Careful Fear is a deadly sentense.

Now,
Mind Sliver cantrip + Quicken Hypnotic patter / Fear / Hold Person can be extremely devastating.
Applying disadvantage against all saving throw and -1d4 on saving throw (Mind Sliver).

Is It currently the most efficient caster?

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Walk me through this. Beginning with "Twin Polymorph". What are the targets of your polymorphs? I know you turn something into giant apes, but what's the something you're turning into said apes?

Hohige

Explorer
Walk me through this. Beginning with "Twin Polymorph". What are the targets of your polymorphs? I know you turn something into giant apes, but what's the something you're turning into said apes?
Two allies that gains 150 THP and average 50 damage per turn.

Weiley31

Legend
Apparently Sorcerers twin allies into DBZ Great Apes.

Mistwell

Two allies that gains 150 THP and average 50 damage per turn.
OK but that's not a good use of the spell unless those allies were already nearly down due to loss of hit points. The allies should be more effective as whatever class they normally are, and that's THEIR damage they do as an ape, which is likely lower than the damage they'd normally do. I mean, I like Polymorph, but you don't count damage your allies do because you polymorphed them unless they were going to do less damage without the polymorph spell.

Now, if you had polymorphed some sort of summoned creatures or pets under your control, then I'd be more interested in that aspect. But just "I turn my fellow players into Apes" will likely get you smacked by your fellow players unless they're in trouble.

It's particularly rare to find TWO allies who are in need of rescue with a polymorph spell. My wizard has Polymorph and it's probably needed once every two full sessions (8 hours of real time). It's never been needed/wanted twice simultaneously, again unless you pair this with some sort of pet or summoned creature under your control and not another PC.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Back on the original topic, mind sliver plus a quickened spell does seem like a good combo. I'd have to see it it play to judge if it's OP though.

Mistwell

Back on the original topic, mind sliver plus a quickened spell does seem like a good combo. I'd have to see it it play to judge if it's OP though.
He's right that Mind Sliver plus the Hound giving disadvantage to saves is a good combo with a save-or-suck spell. Of course you need to get past the save on Mind Sliver.

BacchusNL

Explorer
A Bard with an Instrument of the Bards (including the uncommon versions) already has enemies rolling with disadvantage vs charm effects, including Hypnotic Pattern, for years. I don't see much fuss about that either.

Clockwork Soul esspecialy, but Divine Soul and Aberant Mind aswell, still seems a ton better then Shadow imo.

Hohige

Explorer
Clockwork Soul esspecialy, but Divine Soul and Aberant Mind aswell, still seems a ton better then Shadow imo.
Careful Fear / Careful Hypotic Pattern / Hold Person + The Hound of Ill Omem as bonus action is competitive...It's really competitive and avoid friendly fire.

Last edited:

Remove ads