The Batman - Official 4K Trailer (2022) Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz | DC FanDome 2021

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
He could, however, buy most of the housing in Gotham, and the empty lots that could be housing, and use his wealth and property investments to bully the city government into changing zoning laws to facilitate installing more affordable housing in the parts of town where jobs are/where he is going to put more jobs, and use those resources to then house all the homeless and improve the quality of life of places currently run by slumlords. He could provide low interest loans for small businesses to marginalized Gothomites. He could improve the state of Gotham's schools.

What? If Gotham is NYC, it would cost $192 billion to buy all of Queen's borough. With $10 billion, you could buy at most 1% of Gotham, and that's after spending all your money, meaning selling all of Wayne Enterprises. There is no way this is feasible.

This makes the Batman story, for me and for quite a lot of other readers, completely meaningless, pointless to bother reading.

Cool, I'm allowed to enjoy what I like, you enjoy what you like.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What? If Gotham is NYC, it would cost $192 billion to buy all of Queen's borough. With $10 billion, you could buy at most 1% of Gotham, and that's after spending all your money, meaning selling all of Wayne Enterprises. There is no way this is feasible.

First, NYC is a thriving city with high property values. Gotham is not.

Second, you ignored everything by the smallest part of the post so you could react with incredulity. Why? Companies don't just drop cash to buy properties. Also who said anything about buy whole sections of town? I explicitly called out vacant lots (which any economically depressed city has a ton of) and "slumlord owned" properties. Why sprint headlong toward the reading of what I've said that you find most untenable, rather than trying to actually engage with what I'm saying?
Cool, I'm allowed to enjoy what I like, you enjoy what you like.
I mean, sure? Who said otherwise?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
First, NYC is a thriving city with high property values. Gotham is not.

Second, you ignored everything by the smallest part of the post so you could react with incredulity. Why? Companies don't just drop cash to buy properties. Also who said anything about buy whole sections of town? I explicitly called out vacant lots (which any economically depressed city has a ton of) and "slumlord owned" properties. Why sprint headlong toward the reading of what I've said that you find most untenable, rather than trying to actually engage with what I'm saying?

I just responded to the first part here because much of that entire comment is based upon Wayne buying a lot of property and leveraging that ownership.

And you literally wrote "Buy most of the housing in Gotham." I don't know how to interpret "most" beyond "most." Most of any city, no matter how poor, isn't "slumlords and vacant lots."

Gotham is clearly inspired by an amalgamation of NYC and Chicago in the 1980s, and it's even placed in Ney Jersey. So even if Gotham isn't NYC today, it's still a pretty huge urban center with a diverse amount of property ownership. Just google image Gotham City, it looks like those two far more than anything else. No one could conceivably buy up a sizeable fraction of either city in the 1980s even if property was priced as it was.

Even if someone had that insane amount of wealth, the moment you start buying up property in huge amounts, that property skyrockets in price. For example, when Disney was buying up Florida property to build Disney World, they did so through various shell corporations to not arouse suspicion. Despite that, the property value skyrocketed from a value of $200 per acre to $80,000 per acre. And this is a plot of empty land, not an urban city! Buying up most or even a fraction of a huge metropolis is simply unfeasible for anyone.

I'll even link to a real-life person who is trying to do a lot of what your recommending Bruce Wayne do; here's Dal Gilbert, who's worth three times that of Bruce Wayne ($30 billion). He's poured $5 billion already into trying to rebuild Detroit since 2010.

Can we really say that this has improved Detroit in a lasting way, when the city still sits with the 3rd highest murder rate in the country?

The origins of Gotham City are some shrouded in mystery. Many millenniums ago, an evil warlock was buried alive beneath what would one day become the central island of Gotham. It is alleged that while the warlock laid in a state of torpor, his evil essence seeped into the soil, poisoning the ground with his dark, corrupt touch. By the warlock's own reasoning, he claims that he fathered the modern spirit of Gotham City and has even taken to calling himself Doctor Gotham.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's the same reason Bill Gates doesn't just dump $100B into a community -- that doesn't solve anything, and might be enough to feed a small country for a year, but then everybody is hungry again and Gates can't help any more on account of having given all away. Much better to set up a foundation and invest in research and infrastructure slowly and wisely.

And we're assuming Bruce Wayne is only a tenth as rich as Gates.

(Then again, he did fund the JLA headquarters on the moon, so he has more than $10B).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just responded to the first part here because much of that entire comment is based upon Wayne buying a lot of property and leveraging that ownership.

And you literally wrote "Buy most of the housing in Gotham." I don't know how to interpret "most" beyond "most." Most of any city, no matter how poor, isn't "slumlords and vacant lots."

Gotham is clearly inspired by an amalgamation of NYC and Chicago in the 1980s, and it's even placed in Ney Jersey. So even if Gotham isn't NYC today, it's still a pretty huge urban center with a diverse amount of property ownership. Just google image Gotham City, it looks like those two far more than anything else. No one could conceivably buy up a sizeable fraction of either city in the 1980s even if property was priced as it was.

Even if someone had that insane amount of wealth, the moment you start buying up property in huge amounts, that property skyrockets in price. For example, when Disney was buying up Florida property to build Disney World, they did so through various shell corporations to not arouse suspicion. Despite that, the property value skyrocketed from a value of $200 per acre to $80,000 per acre. And this is a plot of empty land, not an urban city! Buying up most or even a fraction of a huge metropolis is simply unfeasible for anyone.

I'll even link to a real-life person who is trying to do a lot of what your recommending Bruce Wayne do; here's Dal Gilbert, who's worth three times that of Bruce Wayne ($30 billion). He's poured $5 billion already into trying to rebuild Detroit since 2010.

Can we really say that this has improved Detroit in a lasting way, when the city still sits with the 3rd highest murder rate in the country?
From actual people I know in Detroit, yes. It has, and will continue to if the aid continues.

I don't know how else to explain "the fact that a thing can't be fixed in it's entirety does not mean it cannot be improved or that it isn't worth improving".

If you're going to hyperfocus on one word in a post to the point where you completely ignore the larger point, I guess there's no reason to continue to engage.

Not to mention the fact that Batman doesn't just bust low level thugs (and deliver them to the police), but also very dangerous criminals that the Gotham police is not equiped to handle.

If Bruce Wayne didn't dress up as Batman, who would take down The Joker or The Riddler?

MarkB

Legend
Not to mention the fact that Batman doesn't just bust low level thugs (and deliver them to the police), but also very dangerous criminals that the Gotham police is not equiped to handle.

If Bruce Wayne didn't dress up as Batman, who would take down The Joker or The Riddler?
A police force that had been suitably trained and equipped, thanks to a certain billionaire's generous donations?

Remove ads