D&D Movie/TV The D&D versions of Theros, Ravnica, and Arcvios should be seperate from the MtG versions.

We don't know if the metaplot event about Vecna and the black obelisks could alter also the continuity of M:tG. Even we could be surprised if there is a future secret plan for a merger or aquisition and then more IPs be added to the D&D multiverse.

Or maybe Hasbro gets crazy and they order a new setting mixing Birthing and Westeros(Game of Thrones/House of Dragon), or a "Marvel+DC in Greyhawk" or "Tatsunoko in Kamigawa", or "Doctor Who meets the chronomancers".

We don't know if the metaplot event about Vecna and the black obelisks could alter also the continuity of M:tG. Even we could be surprised if there is a future secret plan for a merger or aquisition and then more IPs be added to the D&D multiverse.

Or maybe Hasbro gets crazy and they order a new setting mixing Birthing and Westeros(Game of Thrones/House of Dragon), or a "Marvel+DC in Greyhawk" or "Tatsunoko in Kamigawa", or "Doctor Who meets the chronomancers".

No, not happening.

Warhammer is a more likely buy btw, and if that happens I don't see the Warhammer multiverse getting merged into D&D.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Don't expect WotC to develop two different storylines for the same property.

On the other hand, I don't expect WotC to express any ongoing storyline in any of their settings other than maybe FR, and maybe not even there. They don't seem to be spending development effort on setting metaplots these days, and aren't doing a lot of support for individual settings.
They do seem to be setting up a new metaplot through their multiverse shenanigans though. The metaplot may rise again soon.

Micah Sweet

I say this with the utmost love in my heart: Only NERDS care about canon and continuity.

Cataloguing all the Universal Streams, including the one micro-continuity from that one Black Friday pack of toy, can be a hoot and I'm here for the nerderry of it, but at the end of the day it's all made up anyway and the average consumer isn't gonna care what is in what continuity. Is Roger Moore Bond the same guy as Sean Connery Bond? It doesn't matter and nobody cares and people still went to see the films.

When it comes to franchises with multiple continuity, it's best to not lose sleep over it. Continuity is your tool, not your master.
What difference does that make? If you're a nerd for continuity, the common consumers opinion might not matter to you at all.

Micah Sweet

I said "Only NERDS care about canon and continuity" as a playful jab. The important thing is to
NOT lose sight that we’re here to have fun. Obsessing over continuity gaffe by authors who are very much humans and probably don’t care about canon half as much as you will lead you nowhere. I enjoy a deep dive into a multiverse as much as the next guy, but it’s still supposed to be FUN.

I freakin’ LOVE Super Sentai, and every year TOEI brings us a new show that appears to be set in its own universe where the previous heroes are nowhere to be seen. But every year they also give us a ‘VS’ movie where the current team meets last year’s team and it makes NO SENSE! To say nothing of the Super Hero Taisen movies… or that one movie where they meet Shotaro Ishinomori as a kid, the real-life creator of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider…

Sometimes there’s talk of different dimensions but those are super rare, so usually there’s no explanation. The old heroes were just hanging around. After a while you just accept it and stop trying to find a canon justification. It’s a silly movie for little kids where your favorite heroes get to hang out and fight together. It’s FUN and you cheer when you get a 10+ people roll call with explosions because that’s what the movie’s ultimately about.

Basically: Canon and continuity can be rad, but sometimes you just gotta accept that things don’t make sense.
This is one of many reasons why I wouldn't be a nerd for either of those things.

They do seem to be setting up a new metaplot through their multiverse shenanigans though. The metaplot may rise again soon.

The metaplot has been there on a simmer for awhile, subtly, but its clear its about to explode forth in a big way.

It also makes me wonder if the Vecna plotline is tied to the P+ D&D series somehow. And possible future novels. We simply don't know is planned after the Way of the Drow series concludes.

The age of the metaplot in the TTRPGs ended when thanks internet the surprises were spoilered very soon.

A different thing would be a "metaplot" from other source, for example a TV show in Netflix or Paramount+.

Remove ads