D&D 5E The Domains of Dread, listed by the power of their Dark Lord (using their CR)

Faolyn

(she/her)
CR 1 Dark Lords do sound hella weird
Yeah, not every adventure should be about killing the Dark Lord. But if every other monster in the domain is tougher and half the NPCs could kick the Dark Lord around the block... why are they still in charge?
Don't forget that many Darklords were always pretty weak, even back in the 2e days.

As @Tonguez said, they're not in charge, they're prisoners of the Dark Powers. Who, in turn, give the Darklords plot armor in the form of immortality.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The OP is not really trying to deduce a true stat block. They are trying to get an idea of the relative strengths of the Dark Lords and see what that could mean for adventures, based on clues in the text of VRGtR.
Honestly, I don't see how. I mean, Ivana and Viktra may be CR 1 or so (probably 2 or 3, once a DM is done statting her out and giving them cool abilities), but they definitely have a lot of very powerful, high CR minions they completely control.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
@Urriak Uruk , not sure why your getting so much back lash, but I find this a fun speculation based on what the clues give you. Thank you. More importantly, it gave me a place to start when I decide to give them stat blocks!

Yeah, I think the reason some folks are unhappy with this thread is that I may have left the (incorrect) implication in my OP that some Domains are only for low levels, some for high levels. Which wasn't really my intent!

Urriak Uruk

Honestly, I don't see how. I mean, Ivana and Viktra may be CR 1 or so (probably 2 or 3, once a DM is done statting her out and giving them cool abilities), but they definitely have a lot of very powerful, high CR minions they completely control.

So this (and @dave2008 ) are both right on my thoughts. There is an implication that if you use Ivana as an antagonist in Borca, her low CR means you are unlikely to ever meet her directly in combat until you've already beaten her. So in any combats meant against Ivana, you are likely to be facing off against her subordinates. PCs might not even be aware that Ivana is the true mastermind of the plots they are combatting!

This is a different implication than one set by say Strahd in Curse of Strahd, who can of course be fought many times directly across the adventure, as he can only be killed in his castle, and is a formidable foe in most fights.

Urriak Uruk

You are still trying to "deduce" a true stat block that does not exist.

Several reasons: spy is a baseline. it's easier to take a stat block and make it more powerful by adding stuff. It's also another way of saying "has rogue levels". Assassin is a way of saying "has more rogue levels". How many levels is appropriate depends on the level of the party. The other reason not to use the Assassin stat block is it's best move by far is to stab with a knife. Ivana isn't going to stab you with an knife. She is going to poison you. She probably already has poisoned you.

But most of the time, it doesn't matter. She doesn't have a stat block, so she can do whatever the DM says she can do.

Which is meaningless, since there is no reason why low level party would get to meet her, never mind fight her.

I mean, I agree. This is essentially what I've been trying to write, but either I'm not phrasing it well or folks are trying to pin opinions onto me I don't have.

I guess to quibble (again) on CR, I don't know why you're saying Ivana stats don't matter. If the designers really shared your exact opinion, that Ivana's stats were entirely determined by the DM, they wouldn't have bothered writing "Similar to a Spy" at all (it's easy to omit). The reason it is there should provide a small indication of how the designers expect DMs to use Ivana in adventures.

dave2008

Legend
That is the whole point!. The OP put forth their idea and you can put forth yours. Personally, I find the idea of a stat block implied by the text interesting and helpful. The OP then took it further as a means to construct a campaign out of the DoD, but I personally don't care about that.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
And this edition blows them all out of the water.
What does that even mean? You mentioned "canon," which is an odd fickle thing in D&D. Per "canon" if they didn't change anything (ie no new stat blocks) is the old stat block still "canon?"

I personally don't care about canon, but when I learned the Dark Lords were not given stats in VRGtR I was glad to find that many had been given stats in earlier additions to help me make 5e versions of them. Now with the OP informing me there are hints of what to start with in 5e, I have another piece of information from which to build my stat blocks. EDIT: There is also already product on DMs Guild which provides stats for many of the Dark Lords too. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but when I start my Dark Lord project I might.

IMO, it is helpful fun thread. Not sure why your reaction is to tear it down instead of have fun with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases