Spelljammer The Forgotten Realms eats Spelljammer before it even finishes digesting Radiant Citadel!

Yaarel

He Mage
I've never understood that when it comes to lore. Official mechanics(races, feats, etc.) I get, but not lore. It's just way too mutable and easy to change, and really affects nothing outside of itself. For instance, my spelljammer still has crystal spheres and wildspace is NOT part of the astral plane. And done. Super easy and ships can still sail to the astral sea and go to other worlds. Any monsters in the spelljammer compendium that reference the astral no longer do. If they have an ability that depends on it, well it still functions and is powered a different way.
Being "official" relates to designers supporting a tradition, communities aware of the tradition, shared experiences, and ease of communicating.

A common language of a wider group.

Official matters.

Here at ENWorld I peruse the 5e forum.

I dont peruse Pathfinder or other systems, because they arent part of my shared experience.

A community that I can relate to and chat with is valuable.

"Official" is part of that. At least, official is the structure.

I’m going to disagree here. The module leans hard on FR. Off the top of my head

1. The temple of Ohgma is run by a Shou man.
2. Harpers hire the party in Curious Tale of Wisteria Vale.
3. The Yuan-ti in the Grippli adventure (whose name I totally forget) are very closely tied to FR.
4. Lore of Larue is 100% FR.
5. Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor is plonked into Waterdeep
6. Price of Beauty is tied straight into FR.

Could you rewrite these to put them in a different setting? Sure. Of course you can. But it’s not really a stretch to say that CM is meant to be played in Forgotten Realms.
7. Cloudpeaks in Zikran’s Zephyrean Tome
8. Cloakwood in The Book of Inner Alchemy
9. Tashluta in the The Canopic Being
10. Baldur's Gate features in at least three of the adventures.
11. Anauroch and the Bedine in Alkazaar’s Appendix.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Being "official" relates to designers supporting a tradition, communities aware of the tradition, shared experiences, and ease of communicating.

A common language of a wider group.

Official matters.

Here at ENWorld I peruse the 5e forum.

I dont peruse Pathfinder or other systems, because they arent part of my shared experience.

A community that I can relate to and chat with is valuable.

"Official" is part of that. At least, official is the structure.
Sure. So when you have a discussion on a forum, you can acknowledge what is official and written and talk about it. Nothing compels you to use any or all of a setting in your home game, though. And if you make changes, it doesn't mess with the players, since you told them about it.

Yaarel

He Mage
Sure. So when you have a discussion on a forum, you can acknowledge what is official and written and talk about it. Nothing compels you to use any or all of a setting in your home game, though. And if you make changes, it doesn't mess with the players, since you told them about it.
For example.

Psionics being officially "core" or not is a big deal for finding and playing and discussing psionics.

Official matters.

It matters to me, anyway.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
For example.

Psionics being officially "core" or not is a big deal for finding and playing and discussing psionics.

Official matters.

It matters to me, anyway.
So you'd rather include the lore that fundamentally alters Eberron in ways you don't like, than make the simple change of saying, "That didn't happen."? All you have to say are three words and Eberron would be just like it was.

Yaarel

He Mage
So you'd rather include the lore that fundamentally alters Eberron in ways you don't like, than make the simple change of saying, "That didn't happen."? All you have to say are three words and Eberron would be just like it was.
The problem is the Forgotten Realms gods are a kind of plague − much like Cthulhu − who contaminate, corrupt, self-replicate, and mutate, until there is nothing left of the setting except Forgotten Realms gray goo.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The problem is the Forgotten Realms gods are a kind of plague − much like Cthulhu − who contaminate, corrupt, self-replicate, mutate, and disintegrate into oblivion, until there is nothing left of the setting except Forgotten Realms gray goo.
I've been running the Realms since 1e and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Remove ads