D&D (2024) The GIsh answer *maybe)

This is why I wish more people were more able to accept 3rd Party material as being just as valid as anything WotC produces. Because players can get virtually anything they want for the 5E game using 3rd Party material. But unfortunately too many DMs just get all bent out of shape over the prospect of letting players use it. "It might be unbalanced!" they cry. Well, then level up your DM game by actually testing the mechanics and thus learn how to tell if it's balanced or not-- and if it's not... work with the player to re-balance it so they can use it.
we have a system for 3rd party in theory but in practice it has become just "no"
if you as a player wants to bring in a 3rd party idea you have to buy a copy of the book (now that we are online PDF is okay but that didn't used to be okay) and everyone must agree at the table to read and look into the book (any 1 of us can say we don't have time or aren't willing and that sinks it)
once we all read through it we have a session 0 discussion (never do we allow it to be dropped in mid campaign)
the DM then gets to either veto or pass the book... IF the book passes then we vote on it with a majority rule BUT the DM still gets a vote there too.

Last time we tried it got to the vote and of the 7 of us (6 players 1 DM) it was 3/3 from t eh players so teh DM went with no in the last vote cause it would cause too much head ache if it was that split,

so by trying to make sure everyone is happy we basicly made a ssytem where no new 3pp books are coming in and we only have a few we arleady use...

HOWEVER DM side content is easier. THe DM can bring in monsters and items from anywhere they want.

And everyone to their own. I can't disagree with a person's feelings about what they think are bad mechanics, but I also can't agree that their feelings are in fact a fact. Because one person's bad mechanics are another's good mechanics.

This is why I wish more people were more able to accept 3rd Party material as being just as valid as anything WotC produces. Because players can get virtually anything they want for the 5E game using 3rd Party material. But unfortunately too many DMs just get all bent out of shape over the prospect of letting players use it. "It might be unbalanced!" they cry. Well, then level up your DM game by actually testing the mechanics and thus learn how to tell if it's balanced or not-- and if it's not... work with the player to re-balance it so they can use it.
Trouble is more and more groups (including mine) moving onto DnD Beyond.

And that basically says 'nope not allowed' to any significant homebrew.

Remove ads