THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Sylvar B.

Explorer
While the others turn the columns Sylvar quietly sings a song to pass the time. A tawdry tale about a milkmaid and a highwayman. He skips over the raciest bits since Ebony is around.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Thallok drinks the potion, and immediately feels invigorated, the strength surging through his frame, making his already immense strength even more pronounced. Vale finds that once this occurs, that the two friends can move the massive columns readily, without the need for a third man. Nevertheless, Vale feels the need to at least supervise, telling each of the big warriors exactly where to step, and how to brace themselves.

As the stones are moved into place, a grinding noise, coming from somewhere in the floor, can be heard. Upon moving the last stone into place, according to the layout proposed by Respen, there is a thunderous crunch, akin to the sound of a giant lever clicking into place. The crunching click sound causes a vibration in the floor, that everyone in the party is keenly aware of. And yet, so far, no pits have opened up, and no ceilings have caved in. Nothing harmful or dangerous has occurred, and yet, all of you get an uneasy feeling that harm and danger are on their way.

Spurred on by Vale's assertion of authority in the supervision of the task, Val speaks up once again: "Ok, Halfling, the columns are set. Get yer arse down the hall, and tell us what's there. And try not to fall into a pit! We shouldn't need to rescue a mighty Giant killer like yerself. I know that you are far more clever than you let on."

Vale gives his axe a puzzled look.

Vale snorts, "You've been quiet for MONTHS, and now ye open your yap, to loudly bark orders in a place where the slightest noise is sure to draw attention? And what's with all the rudeness?"

Val retorts, "Oh, I see how it is. The damned Elf can sing his head off, but when I try to get things moving, suddenly, I'M THE ONE who's making too much noise?"

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Damionte

Explorer
Duncan & Company

"You're all making too much noise." Duncan retrieves his shield and motions for the company to reform on him. "We're up against powers beyond our own capabilities. I recommend cautious discretion until we have a greater understanding of what awaits us." Once the company reforms they wait quietly till the party is ready to move out again.

Waynan

Adventurer
Spurred on by Vale's assertion of authority in the supervision of the task, Val speaks up once again: "Ok, Halfling, the columns are set. Get yer arse down the hall, and tell us what's there. And try not to fall into a pit! We shouldn't need to rescue a mighty Giant killer like yerself. I know that you are far more clever than you let on."

Vale gives his axe a puzzled look.

Vale snorts, "You've been quiet for MONTHS, and now ye open your yap, to loudly bark orders in a place where the slightest noise is sure to draw attention? And what's with all the rudeness?"

Val retorts, "Oh, I see how it is. The damned Elf can sing his head off, but when I try to get things moving, suddenly, I'M THE ONE who's making too much noise?"

Tam looks at Vale and Val and is at first ruffled by Val's crude directness in giving orders, then starts to chuckle a bit at the spatting between the two. It reminded him of he and his siblings back home in Littletown.

Of course, he can't resist putting in a "jab" (he thinks to himself and chuckles again, this time at his pun) at the Talking Weapon, speaking in the street dwarf accent of the gutter rats/thieves: "Okay, okay; I'm a-going, ya overglorified pot roast slicer." and heads out in front of the party, again going slowly with all due caution and utilizing every skill to espy deadfalls, traps, false walls, etc.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam's Careful Scouting

Tam, in the space of about 10, very tense minutes, you make it all the way down the hall, and find that it ends with a set of ornate, gold and emerald-inlaid double doors. Before reaching the doors, you discover indications that the whole hallway past the columns is trapped; upon examining the doors, you find that the doors themselves are the trigger. It is your belief that if the doors are opened, the entire hallway will open up; i.e., a 70-ft long, 20-ft wide pit trap. You are not certain that there is even a way to prevent this from happening. The doors must open in order to access the next area; but opening them triggers the trap. You could possibly pull the doors open from a distance, if someone has 75 ft. of rope, and that's assuming that the doors are lightweight enough to allow it; but there's no way to know that without giving a firm tug on the handles, and if they ARE lightweight, such a tug will trigger the trap. As it stands, the entire hallway is currently safe to walk on, as long as no one touches the doors.

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"I can fly - is anyone else able to? None of you happen to have a scroll of Floating Disk do you? Depending on the power it's set at, a couple people could stand on one. Or a few levitate spells could be used and have people hold the rope while I fly... Or a Dimension door would do the trick. Plenty of options, but I'm not that kind of wizard," I suggest with a chuckle.

Damionte

Explorer
:: Duncan & Company ::

Ebony chimes in. "We have none of those magics. Sir Moore and I both have emergency teleportation devices but they only work once a day. We prefer to save them for an emergency."

Duncan adds. "Aside from that we each have climbing kits as do my men. We could anchor ourselves to the walls or doors in preparation for the floor dropping out."

ooc said:
Eb's and Duncan are prepared to spend as much time as needed to prepare for this and have a take 20 value of 25 each. On Rope Use to anchor, or assist others in anchoring.

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam investigates the doors more closely. He checks the seams of the door against the wall and floor (too short to check the top), trying to see where the depression plates are. His thought is, if there aren't too many, maybe a hold spell could keep them in place. While he continues to inspect the seams, Tam explains his idea to the party, hoping it's something that could be done.

Whether or not, he'd know from this lot soon enough.

Damionte

Explorer
:: Duncan & Company ::

"This is outside of my area of expertise. Do you truly think it will work? If so it's worth a shot. Otherwise, we're going to get out of the way, and stand off the death drop doors."

Still unpacking their climbing gear in cas eit's needed, the company moves off the center floor.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam, there are no depression plates. Opening the doors is like turning a lever; somewhere behind the door, where you can't see without opening it, is a catch, like a hook, or maybe a pulley. When you open the door, you will pull "something" far enough forward to release the catch, which will cause the floor to drop out. That's why you surmised, to begin with, that there might not be a way to disarm this trap. The way to disarm it, it seems, is to know of its existence, and to trigger it from a safe distance.

Respen's idea about the party standing among the columns (in the "safe zone,") and using Mage Hand to open the doors sounds like the most plausible plan you've heard so far. You feel inclined to recommend that action, in fact.

While Tam is considering what to say, Val speaks up again. As it speaks, it begins to glow a bright blue.

Val: "Tam, old boy, when you touched the door just now to examine the seal, you awoke something unholy. The stench of the undead lies beyond that door. I sense the presence of at least 5 entities, possibly more. We're not talking Zombies here, lad. We're talking something properly powerful. Stay alert. That goes for all of ye. Vale, my boy, here's your chance to show me what you're made of. I'll not be leaving this crypt afore those beasties be destroyed."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases