• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
RE: Threads about Ray and Copyright...

13yo is playing theme to Ghostbusters this AM while getting ready for school.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Salsa has actually been the top selling condiment in the US for several years now. We're doing better than we think!
i-put-that-on-everything.gif

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I am absurdly blessed to be in a field/profession with a ton of job security, decent health insurance, and not much scumminess.

I don't know how people in less secure positions keep a semblance of calm at all when distress is roiling their firm or industry. I can't imagine suggesting to someone they just walk away from a job unless they aren't walking away from much, have so much they won't notice it being gone, or have a spouse bringing in lots of money and who also has the option of having healthcare. (Start looking, start planning, sure. But just walking away. Ack.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am absurdly blessed to be in a field/profession with a ton of job security, decent health insurance, and not much scumminess.

I don't know how people in less secure positions keep a semblance of calm at all when distress is roiling their firm or industry. I can't imagine suggesting to someone they just walk away from a job unless they aren't walking away from much, have so much they won't notice it being gone, or have a spouse bringing in lots of money and who also has the option of having healthcare. (Start looking, start planning, sure. But just walking away. Ack.)
I am in a high-chaos, precarious industry (both my individual company and the industry as a whole). More than 95% of the people I started with at my current company about a decade ago are gone, most of them gone from the industry as a whole.

I deal with it by having a spouse who came into the relationship clear-eyed (we had a big talk about it as we were getting serious) and who understands the industry as well as any outsider can. She already makes a little more than I do and is in the process of getting a job that will make a ton more money than we do combined.

I would almost certainly be staying in my industry without that, but I would definitely be feeling the pressure more than I do otherwise. (Paying for the kids' college will be a major test of my resolve, though.)

But even in a precarious industry, I absolutely scoff at the "you should just walk away from your job" rhetoric -- for any job. I have made big sweeping life changes like that, and it took more than a year and a half to get a new job again. Now, with kids relying on me, I could never be that reckless again. (And probably wouldn't even if had kids -- that kind of long-term unemployment is rough on many levels.)

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I mean, I mostly agree.

Based on my life (and past experience only), I would say that the two times you are most free are when you have nothing, and you have a lot.

When you have nothing, screw 'em. What can they take away, right? Starting over is easy. I had to do that ... a lot.
On the other hand, when you have a lot (for various definitions of "a lot,") you have the confidence that you can keep on truckin' They don't want you? Screw 'em. You're not put out, and besides, someone else will step up to the plate.

It's when you're in the middle ... when you have a family, and a mortgage, and you need that paycheck. That's when they have you. That's when those sleepless nights accumulate, and you're there, wide-eyed at chas volka, thinking about all the rumors of layoff and turmoil.

And that's a hell you don't wish on anyone.

Scribe

Legend
I mean, I mostly agree.

Based on my life (and past experience only), I would say that the two times you are most free are when you have nothing, and you have a lot.

When you have nothing, screw 'em. What can they take away, right? Starting over is easy. I had to do that ... a lot.
On the other hand, when you have a lot (for various definitions of "a lot,") you have the confidence that you can keep on truckin' They don't want you? Screw 'em. You're not put out, and besides, someone else will step up to the plate.

It's when you're in the middle ... when you have a family, and a mortgage, and you need that paycheck. That's when they have you. That's when those sleepless nights accumulate, and you're there, wide-eyed at chas volka, thinking about all the rumors of layoff and turmoil.

And that's a hell you don't wish on anyone.

I would think they covers a lot of folks just in the various stages of life.

My wife and I have been together a long time. We started with nothing, from nothing. No help was coming from our parents, and when we look back at the budgets we dealt with, its comical.

We could (and did) work temp jobs because as you say when you have nothing, you are free.

Then came the kid, the school (loans) the better job, the house payments and...me being trapped in a job for the better part of 15 years.

Part of the process, so I can totally get it for those not at the top of the food chain, who are now 'stuck'.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

I work for a retail corporation and have survived a number of bad economy layoffs. I have so much vacay and years into the place now that if they did lay me off (God forbid) I would have 6 months of severance (at least) coming so it would help me between things. It makes some of these turbulent times easier to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads