• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It's really kinda weird watching people go off on each other. It's almost like what's actually said by one person has no relevance to the other person because they will, without fail, hear whatever they want to hear, regardless of what the original person actually said. If someone's itching to fight about X, they're going to fight about X. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or does. If a particular words means something negative to them, it doesn't matter how the original person said it or meant it, it's negative now and forever and how dare you say that word. It's really exhausting. People make things way too hard.

Ryujin

Legend
It's really kinda weird watching people go off on each other. It's almost like what's actually said by one person has no relevance to the other person because they will, without fail, hear whatever they want to hear, regardless of what the original person actually said. If someone's itching to fight about X, they're going to fight about X. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or does. If a particular words means something negative to them, it doesn't matter how the original person said it or meant it, it's negative now and forever and how dare you say that word. It's really exhausting. People make things way too hard.
This becomes particularly poignant when your only response is, "I was agreeing with you."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I guess when I engage people online, I kind of expect them to not take my opinion seriously if it runs contrary to their own. To me, that's just kinda' how people work, especially as they get older and their beliefs get more solidified.

Even if they have no intention of considering my opinion, I think pretending is still a pretty polite first step, haha. It at least gets a discussion going.
If someone has no genuine interest in engaging in a topic in a meaningful way, they can just not participate.

"At least it gets a discussion going" is not a worthwhile goal in itself.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think we should take a page from RPGs and have people roll off when in a heated argument. High roll wins, low roll loses. Obviously not in any real sense, but just for pretend so we can move on with the discussion instead of have endless cross sniping and eventual thread closures because two (or more) people get it in their heads that they get some kind of redeemable tokens for being right on the internet.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
So the last person standing is not necessarily the one with strongest argument but the one with the most persistence?

Sounds like Mental 100

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I wonder what the Sea Dwarves in Seas of Vodari are like.
(Summoning the author, @shawnellsworth.)

They're about what you would expect: ironclad ships, booming cannons, heavy blades...

Here's a pretty good write-up of the whole setting.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I will happily take that analogy as explaining absolutely everything about that thread and all of its predecessors.

My only regret is that if I ever pull out "remember what z said x was like y" the staff will not be amused. On the other hand, if I never read another post on it, then I can remember it as the other side's final word on the matter.

Last edited:

Remove ads