The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Scribe

Legend
I've just come to find that the task that was supposed to be easy, is not going to be, as there is zero audit trail to track who did what, for whom, because very basic principles of security, were not followed for (checking) over 7 years of data processing.

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Reality. Escapism, whether into a fantasy world or an online one, only goes so far. Or, at least, there's only so far you should go before you start to lose things.
So I'll call it "returning to reality"

If escapism is about avoiding or disengaging from reality, then returning to reality could be the action or decision.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have learned a lot in 2 crazy weeks on Enworld. FWIW here are some of the top things I learned:

1. Escaping from reality is fun. Escaping from reality by talking about escaping from reality is a whole other level of fun (like Inception but less confusing). But at some point, I'm obligated to return to reality.

2. I am unique but I am not special. Ditto for my game. The truth is nobody really cares much about my game (except me and my players). This is also true for other people's games (except I guess RPG celebs). I think to post online from a mindset that my game is the center of the universe is (in a sense) delusional, and for me to argue from that premise is me acting self-absorbed.

3. Once I realized #1 and #2, I felt free of any impulse to debate online. Which feels really peaceful and liberating. But I am worried about a relapse, which is why I have to go, strike while the iron is hot so to speak, while I still can.

Anyway, just wanted to share that, though I don't know why. I feel appreciative to all of you who taught me things I did not fully understand before, so maybe it's a sort a silly need to say goodbye-thank you.

Happy gaming everyone!

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
What do you call it when a thread asks a challenging question that initially seems intriguing in a hypothetical fantasy universe, and it engages you on that hypothetical, but then you realize that you're actually living in the real world with real human beings and the thread suddenly isn't so fun anymore (and how do people in the TV and movie industry navigate this question of what is OK or not to put out into the universe as part of their job, it sounds so stressful)?

What do you call that?
The Germans have a word for it. "Meinungsverschiedenheitenmüde."

I didn't say it was a short word, or easy to pronounce...

2. I am unique but I am not special. Ditto for my game. The truth is nobody really cares much about my game (except me and my players). This is also true for other people's games (except I guess RPG celebs).
When I ran the D&D stuff at the largest convention in the state, people would be shocked every time I told them that I didn't watch Critical Role, or Aquisitions, Inc., or any of the RPG podcasts. I really, really don't care about any of them -- I've seen a few of the OXVenturers, but only because I really like all of the hosts, and even then I can't stand to watch more than one or two standout moments.

I reserve all of my "caring about campaigns and characters," for my own tables only. I don't have any to spare for anyone else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What do you call it when a thread asks a challenging question that initially seems intriguing in a hypothetical fantasy universe, and it engages you on that hypothetical, but then you realize that you're actually living in the real world with real human beings and the thread suddenly isn't so fun anymore (and how do people in the TV and movie industry navigate this question of what is OK or not to put out into the universe as part of their job, it sounds so stressful)?

What do you call that?

What you see here is an effect of people who have no real skin in the game arguing on the internet.

When you have skin in the game, when it is your own product, your own livelihood, or real-wrold interpersonal relationships involved, digging in and never moving has a cost. That behavior will kill a project, a career, or a relationship in the real world.

Here, folks are free to take and hold any position, with little or no consequences. Being obstinate is often considered a strength, because you "win" if you keep responding until the other guy gives up. Discussion here has no incentive to come to a consensus or decision.

Last edited:

Remove ads