The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
How about "D&D isnt gamist is it narrativist?"
No no, that won't do at all.
You need to work in lots of smart-sounding game jargon like "bounded accuracy" and "player agency." Stuff that will inform the reader that you spend far too much time on the internet to be challenged. Maybe something like:

"D&D Player Agency in 4E Created Gamist Sandbox Immersion has Changed the Game-Breaking Bounded Accuracy Simulationism Railroad of 5E"

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE WINNER OF BUZZWORD BINGO IS CLEVERNICKNAME

LET'S SEE WHAT THEY'VE WON ...

Game Show Dunk GIF by NBC

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You need to work in lots of smart-sounding game jargon like "bounded accuracy" and "player agency." Stuff that will inform the reader that you spend far too much time on the internet to be challenged. Maybe something like:

"D&D Player Agency in 4E Created Gamist Sandbox Immersion has Changed the Game-Breaking Bounded Accuracy Simulationism Railroad of 5E"

"D&D isn't really even a game."

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Not sure if that works without at least one "actual play" example and one really long quote from some dude in 2002 who uses even more jargon-y buzzwords.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And that "actual play" example better have mechanics described in it, because those are vital to the narrative.
And be sure to put the positive-only tag in the title. And refer to it often. That way, everyone will think twice before they dare to challenge your opinion.

(That's how the [+] tag works, right? You're only allowed to agree with me? I think that's how it works.)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't really know where to place this, so I'll just place it here. I might turn it into a thread later.

I've been thinking recently about magic and how bad it would be for the world if we had it. And I don't just mean in the typical "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of way, either. More how magic would further the divide between the working and wealthy classes within the setting, help evil magic-users overthrow democracies and install themselves as a dictator or monarch, and how magic would end up being hoarded by the wealthy and/or governments of the world. Magic schools for bards and wizards would be more accessible to the wealthy, and people with innate magic would be more likely to be wealthy (under capitalism, at least). So Sorcerers (and maybe other full-casters) could use their magic to make money, then use that money to send their children to schools/colleges that would teach them magic, which would then create these ultra-wealthy aristocratic families that could then use both their magic and money to gain a ton of political power and control over the world around them (and become even more wealthy, because that's how capitalism works). Magic, under capitalism, would just further the imbalance between classes in the world. And even without capitalism, governments would prioritize recruiting magic users to their organization and would likely only last all that long if they had some control over magic in the first place.

There are already settings that kind of touch on these ideas, like Eberron and Dark Sun, but none really go that deep into it. Magic would be bad for us, at least in our current socioeconomic system. It makes me want to make a new setting revolving around these ideas . . . but I'm already making two new D&D settings. I really probably shouldn't start making a third.

Remove ads