• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
You know what's on my nerves about pizza right now? Facebook. Facebook is ruining pizza for me.

I just had to have a conversation with my spouse about where to order pizza from tonight. Not based on who has the best tasting pizza, not based on who is closest or cheapest. No. This was about the fact that the owner of the best local pizzeria decided to go on a rant on the company Facebook page. For the purpose of following board rules, lets just say it was about a political stance that we mostly disagree with. So now we have to ask the hard questions: Does this mean we don't order pizza from there? For how long? Does the fact that they took it down matter? Do we now need to check Facebook pages from the other local pizza joints to make sure they're not jerks or supporting other politics we don't like?

Gosh darn Facebook.
If someone posts their controversial personal views on company page, then they have to live with the potential consequences. If they refuse to put pineapple on pizza then you're free to vote with your feet.

Sure, we draw lines at some point. There's a pretty big gulf between recognizing that there's no perfectly ethical existence and fully embracing nihilism.

The large gray area is actually the part that annoys me the most. In the case I'm currently dealing with, it's not a life or death situation. To come out it with, it was a rant about the hiring shortage and struggling with maintaining employment levels at the pizzeria that said some not nice things about the proletariat at large. He definitely said some things I (we) don't agree with, but it wasn't outright bigotry or an intensely polarizing topic. That's why my spouse and I got into a discussion about it. Is it right to support a local business like this if we think they may not be supporting their employees? Have we seen anything else that should a red flag? They have other posts that seem very supportive of their employees, so is this a one-off rant from someone who had a bad day, or the truth breaking through a well kept facade? What level of research do I need to do to feel good about eating there?

My real complaint is that I care, but I don't want to care. These are great high level discussions, but I also just want to eat my freakin dinner without having a moral quandary, philosophical discussion, and 30 minutes of research.

Retreater

Legend
Re: politicized pizzas
In the days before social media we had a time- honored pizzeria in our town ... actually the first pizza place in my town. It was so old my dad delivered pizzas for them in the late 1960s. (One time my dad delivered a pizza to Eric Burdon of The Animals who gave him a $20 tip - but that's off topic in this already off topic thread.)
Anyways, new management came and the pizza place got very political. Since we're not supposed to discuss politics on this board, I'll just say that the owner thought all pizzas should be sausage, and if you wanted pepperoni on your pizza you were an idiot.
So he put that on the marquee, yard signs, menus, and take out menus. He would pass out pamphlets telling you that sausage was the only way. I kid you not, he would come in while you were having a meal, sit at your table and tell you about why sausage was the best topping on pizzas. It was clear he was a member of the ... sausage party (maybe I didn't think this analogy all the way through before I started).
But the point is, when you're running a business for the public, doing things that might alienate customers is a very bad business move. About two years later, this pizza place that had been around since the early 1960s had been replaced by a Dunkin' Donuts.

If someone posts their controversial personal views on company page, then they have to live with the potential consequences. If they refuse to put pineapple on pizza then you're free to vote with your feet.

The flipside of this is: when does it become prejudicial? Sure, it's good to stop eating somewhere because they don't let black people in. But its also bad to stop eating somewhere because I don't agree with the religion of the owners. What happens when we disagree on Prop 394 or support a different candidate for Comptroller? Before, it was easy to be ignorant. I blame Facebook culture for making everything a Big Deal and a binary decision. Now I'm aware of where everyone stands on everything, and I frankly would be happier not knowing sometimes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The flipside of this is: when does it become prejudicial? Sure, it's good to stop eating somewhere because they don't let black people in. But its also bad to stop eating somewhere because I don't agree with the religion of the owners. What happens when we disagree on Prop 394 or support a different candidate for Comptroller? Before, it was easy to be ignorant. I blame Facebook culture for making everything a Big Deal and a binary decision. Now I'm aware of where everyone stands on everything, and I frankly would be happier not knowing sometimes.
I think it's pretty safe to assume that the folks in charge, or at least founded, Popeyes and Church's Chicken are as teligous as the ChikFilA people, possibly moreover for not making it anyone else's business.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the folks in charge, or at least founded, Popeyes and Church's Chicken are as teligous as the ChikFilA people, possibly moreover for not making it anyone else's business.

Well, it is the "making it anyone else's business" that is the bigger problem, right? Lots of folks manage to have a religion and not fund anti-LGBTQ hate groups. There's probably also a lesson in here somewhere about separating business/work and personal beliefs.

Ryujin

Legend
I can totally understand that and both sympathize and empathize, as I've come to know far more about people whose work I admired, than allows me to enjoy it now. Thing is that's not on you. It's on them. If people are comfortable with sharing their personal opinions, in their business lives, then they also have to be comfortable with people walking away from their business for any reason be it large, or small. Your only decision is the breaking point and you should make that wherever it feels comfortable. Sometimes that's not a bright line.

Remove ads