The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Describe my action? FINE. I want to roll a twenty-sided die and add the highest number on my character sheet to the result. That's all I'm trying to accomplish here. That's all I'm ever trying to accomplish. Why do you keep trying to turn this game into "a story" or whatever?

Yes, and dice are those little things that keep getting in the way of my collaborative story-telling exercise.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Wow, it's a real problem when the PCs can actually accomplish their actual goals, isn't it?
I don't know what you're replying to, but to play Devil's Advocate, the base premise of practically any story is "Person wants to accomplish a goal, but has to overcome stuff preventing them from achieving that goal". The player comes up with the goal, and the DM determines what they have to do to accomplish it.

So, you have to let the PCs accomplish their actual goals eventually, but there do need to be some roadblocks in front of some of their main ones. Otherwise, the campaign won't be a story, it will just be a bunch of gods in a sandbox doing whatever they want.

Obviously, it's not a good idea to do this to every single goal or action the PCs pursue, but doing it for the most important ones can make the campaign more meaningful because it shows how much work the PCs put into achieving whatever they want to achieve.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't know what you're replying to, but to play Devil's Advocate, the base premise of practically any story is "Person wants to accomplish a goal, but has to overcome stuff preventing them from achieving that goal". The player comes up with the goal, and the DM determines what they have to do to accomplish it.

So, you have to let the PCs accomplish their actual goals eventually, but there do need to be some roadblocks in front of some of their main ones. Otherwise, the campaign won't be a story, it will just be a bunch of gods in a sandbox doing whatever they want.

Obviously, it's not a good idea to do this to every single goal or action the PCs pursue, but doing it for the most important ones can make the campaign more meaningful because it shows how much work the PCs put into achieving whatever they want to achieve.
There are games where the mechanics themselves work against the PCs' working toward their chosen goals--mostly by generating new sub-goals. I was not-responding to someone complaining that a game in that tradition wasn't making things harder on the PCs, so they could focus on what they wanted to accomplish.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I just can't get over that you people believe water is REAL?!? Wake up sheeple! Don't buy the lie being sold to you by Agua Grande!

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
In getting my own Engineering degree, I've made the acquaintance of many, many engineers. None of them are what I would call "civil."

Remove ads