The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Have you already tried the heat gun method of detailing armour? Also, a heat gun can be used to make some interesting stuff, without needing heavier tools. For example the acrylic bracers in this picture. Also, PVC and Kydex are thermoplastics that are very easily shaped with the application of a little heat.

View attachment 260021
I'm waiting to see what I can get done via 3D printing before getting a heat gun and the foam, I've even got a step-by-step video on youtube saved that shows how to make a bracer out of the foam.

I was told that I should use clay foam to make the details like the red gem on the bracer. I'm going to try to start saving so I can get one of the cosplay recommended 3D printers.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm waiting to see what I can get done via 3D printing before getting a heat gun and the foam, I've even got a step-by-step video on youtube saved that shows how to make a bracer out of the foam.

I was told that I should use clay foam to make the details like the red gem on the bracer. I'm going to try to start saving so I can get one of the cosplay recommended 3D printers.
Shallow cuts in EVA foam that then get hit with a heat gun, open up to make for some really good detailing.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We'll see how my post in reaction to someone else's hobby horse response is in turn responded to, but I could not help myself. 😬

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The first shirt I ever made was in 3/8", 12 gauge aluminum rings. The thing weighed maybe 40 pounds. I think that it would have been SCA legal for combat. By comparison the 1/4". 16 gauge costume grade shirts that I make, like the one pictured, are in the 6-10 pound range. You don't really feel it any more than you do regular clothing. More than once I've wished that I had the money and a neutral gas welding chamber, so that I could make a full shirt out of titanium rings.
Yeah, the regular steel ones I wore, even the looser 4 in 1 weave rather than a proper more protective 6 in 1, were more like 25 lbs. I can't remember the gauge.

Whereas the pretty aluminum one I tried on was more like just wearing a thick cloth shirt, for weight.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, the regular steel ones I wore, even the looser 4 in 1 weave rather than a proper more protective 6 in 1, were more like 25 lbs. I can't remember the gauge.

Whereas the pretty aluminum one I tried on was more like just wearing a thick cloth shirt, for weight.
I will say, however, that even the 40 pound welded stainless steel shirt that I made for myself doesn't feel anything like its actual weight, when worn and belted. I do get tired more quickly while wearing it and my movements seem to carry more authority, if you get what I mean, but it's not bad.

Shallow cuts in EVA foam that then get hit with a heat gun, open up to make for some really good detailing.

oh that's cool and good to know, right now I'm waiting to hear back from a local shop that offers 3D printing,first to find out if they can do it second will be the price. I'm also apparently the first person to ask about it, and I found them via googling 3D printing services lol. Next year I'm going to try to save up for one of my own.

Ryujin

Legend
oh that's cool and good to know, right now I'm waiting to hear back from a local shop that offers 3D printing,first to find out if they can do it second will be the price. I'm also apparently the first person to ask about it, and I found them via googling 3D printing services lol. Next year I'm going to try to save up for one of my own.
I have a small resin based 3D printer and have messed around with it a bit, but haven't done a ton with it yet. Still working on figuring out the various resins. Regular water washable resin seems to be too brittle for making things that will see stress, but there are more expensive resins that have some flexibility after curing. Some people mix resins to save on the more expensive flexible ones. Filament based 3D printers are more finicky to make work, reliably, but the resulting parts can take more abuse. I made this a while back using a combination of 3 different models that people had posted online, along with several parts I either designed, or redesigned, for a better fit.

20220513_173634.jpg

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I assume using a belittling but descriptive sounding name for the extreme ways some toppings could be put on, but describing it so it applies to the topping in general, would annoy people? Cuz I'm working on some terms I think are pretty spot on...

I have a small resin based 3D printer and have messed around with it a bit, but haven't done a ton with it yet. Still working on figuring out the various resins. Regular water washable resin seems to be too brittle for making things that will see stress, but there are more expensive resins that have some flexibility after curing. Some people mix resins to save on the more expensive flexible ones. Filament based 3D printers are more finicky to make work, reliably, but the resulting parts can take more abuse. I made this a while back using a combination of 3 different models that people had posted online, along with several parts I either designed, or redesigned, for a better fit.

View attachment 260046
That's cool, all of the info I've been reading about filament 3D printing says it's just a matter of finding the right size printer for what you're looking for along with choosing the right filament. I'm eying this one in particular https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JB2YT...olid=3FALAAGC9LT6A&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But I may go spring for this one https://www.amazon.com/ANYCUBIC-Lev...p-B09V2TPT7T/dp/B09V2TPT7T/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

EDIT: With all that said foam may very well be chapter and easier than dealing with a 3D printer, it's not like I'll be entering any contest for it.

Last edited:

Remove ads