The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

I've been waiting a couple of years for a friend to do the same CosPlay, using a chain shirt that I made for her. There are more than a few different styles that the character has been drawn in. Here's the picture that I worked from and the chainmail.View attachment 259996View attachment 259997
That is amazing 😍. I wish I could afford one. But I'm settling for the Shang-Ci Cosplay Costume Red Jacket I found on Amazon

Ryujin

Legend
That is amazing 😍. I wish I could afford one. But I'm settling for the Shang-Ci Cosplay Costume Red Jacket I found on Amazon
Got to work within your budget though, when it comes to chainmail, you can pick up some crappy butted ring steel stuff for maybe $80.00. What I made was made with bright aluminum (basically the equivalent of aluminum welding wire) so it's pretty light. You could do the scale style using an air brush on cloth. Hell, if it's good enough for Amazon, it's good enough for CosPlay ;)

lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-galadriel.jpg

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Got to work within your budget though, when it comes to chainmail, you can pick up some crappy butted ring steel stuff for maybe $80.00. What I made was made with bright aluminum (basically the equivalent of aluminum welding wire) so it's pretty light. You could do the scale style using an air brush on cloth. Hell, if it's good enough for Amazon, it's good enough for CosPlay ;)
I remember in my larping days 25+ years ago trying on someone's aluminum hauberk, after wearing a regular one a number of times. It was the immediate, visceral, physical experience of the old D&D rule of magic armor being so light it was unencumbering.

Ryujin

Legend
I remember in my larping days 25+ years ago trying on someone's aluminum hauberk, after wearing a regular one a number of times. It was the immediate, visceral, physical experience of the old D&D rule of magic armor being so light it was unencumbering.
The first shirt I ever made was in 3/8", 12 gauge aluminum rings. The thing weighed maybe 40 pounds. I think that it would have been SCA legal for combat. By comparison the 1/4". 16 gauge costume grade shirts that I make, like the one pictured, are in the 6-10 pound range. You don't really feel it any more than you do regular clothing. More than once I've wished that I had the money and a neutral gas welding chamber, so that I could make a full shirt out of titanium rings.

View attachment 260014
I aim to get those same style shoulders either EVA foam or 3D printed and then paint them. I have the foam to make the bracer tubing, which will likely also be made from foam.

Here's the top I'm getting
1662141063619.jpeg

Ryujin

Legend
I aim to get those same style shoulders either EVA foam or 3D printed and then paint them. I have the foam to make the bracer tubing, which will likely also be made from foam.

Here's the top I'm getting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FTJ2DH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
Have you already tried the heat gun method of detailing armour? Also, a heat gun can be used to make some interesting stuff, without needing heavier tools. For example the acrylic bracers in this picture. Also, PVC and Kydex are thermoplastics that are very easily shaped with the application of a little heat.

Q2150915.JPG

Remove ads