The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
People think this is a joke. . . but I really did - even modified them into 3E! (though not as complex as the 1E version, just an even more simplified adaptation of the already simplified 2E optional version).
For 1e, for a while, I tried using weapon mods as both hit and damage modifiers, but I ran into two issues. The first was that the number of adds just became too cumbersome. The second was that most monsters didn't have anything more than an AC. No DEX mod. No armour type. So it was only really useful against character races, for the most part.

For 1e, for a while, I tried using weapon mods as both hit and damage modifiers, but I ran into two issues. The first was that the number of adds just became too cumbersome. The second was that most monsters didn't have anything more than an AC. No DEX mod. No armour type. So it was only really useful against character races, for the most part.

I think 3e got it right with vulnerability and resistance. A few monsters like skeletons with arrow resistance and Hammer vulnerability were enough to make a noticeable if seldom impact.

How much longer do ya'll think this current wave of 5E negativity and hyper-criticism will last? I appreciate a good speculation thread or two, but all of the constant bickering, complaining, and thread-crapping is wearing on my nerves. Lately, ENWorld isn't very much fun for a 5th Edition fan.
On twitter I see the petty criticism about this or that mechanic, plus disingenuous racism from grognard-types. But then I also see a lot of toxic positivity and fandom. The result being that genuine criticism gets drowned out.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Funny, isn't it? When I didn't like a specific mechanic, I didn't use that mechanic. Such a simple solution and it works for all editions.
Simple, yes. How easy it is seems as though it'll depend on how central the mechanic is to the game. Though if you dislike the mechanic enough to skip a whole edition (or game) then I guess you're still skipping the mechanic ... 😉

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Guy 1: "The rules are terrible! I demand they be changed!"
Guy 2: "You can change the rules if you don't like them. Says so in the book."
Guy 1: "But if I do, how will everyone know that I don't like the rules?"

has the same energy as:

Picard: "Tea. Earl Grey, vegan."
Riker: "You could just order it without milk, Captain."
Picard: "But if I do, how will everyone know I'm vegan?"

Ryujin

Legend
Simple, yes. How easy it is seems as though it'll depend on how central the mechanic is to the game. Though if you dislike the mechanic enough to skip a whole edition (or game) then I guess you're still skipping the mechanic ... 😉
I suppose it all depends on how much trouble you're willing to go through. I greatly disliked the task resolution mechanic in 4e, but liked pretty much everything else, so I tossed it. To work around it I did a variety of things, from planning out alternate role play resolutions in detail, to just winging it. Given that I was using canned adventures, that made it a pretty central mechanic.

Ryujin

Legend
Guy 1: "The rules are terrible! I demand they be changed!"
Guy 2: "You can change the rules if you don't like them. Says so in the book."
Guy 1: "But if I do, how will everyone know that I don't like the rules?"

has the same energy as:

Picard: "Tea. Earl Grey, vegan."
Riker: "You could just order it without milk, Captain."
Picard: "But if I do, how will everyone know I'm vegan?"
Gotta keep those Vegan Powers charged up!

Remove ads