The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Really good Questing Beast video today on this.
Interesting numbers, but 2023 feels very much like an anomaly produced by a perfect storm of releases. When you look at the big-money OSR projects last year they're mostly new and improved (at the very least in terms of production quality) versions of popular pre-existing stuff that had established fan bases and reputations already. The major exception is Shadowdark, but as the designer said in the interview it had been in the works for half a decade and brought 30K followers to the table that had been waiting for it to arrive so new but with a fan base and rep in place already.

OSR-identifying products have certainly been trending up for years, but it's still really rare to see such big numbers on brand-new stuff. To me the most noteworthy thing here is that the community has been around long enough now that we can get such a large number of highly-anticipated releases of older games all in the same year to produce that huge spike. Should be interesting to see how 2024 plays out, but I'm expecting a dip following last year's spike that still leaves the numbers better than 2022, but not as much better as 2023.

Which is still a really positive trend line, of course. Thankfully there's not much corporate-think and demanding shareholders with OSR stuff so less demand for every single year to be better than the last or it's somehow a terrible failure. If WotC had a spike year like this and then a dropoff back to more predictable levels Hasbro would most likely flip out.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Its not uncommon for people to perceive a particular product that they think has displaced one the like as The Enemy. Sometimes because its actively counter to what they want (some of the more hostile Old School types show this one) but sometimes just because it displaced what they want.
Indeed. Not a very rational position, I would argue.

340227325_918541039393786_3200288517686409935_n.jpg

The internet tells me "regular" mayo is thinner and contains less egg yolk than heavy duty mayo, and extra-heavy duty takes that even further. Supposedly serious foodies use the regular stuff as a spread (because it's thinner and easier to apply), while the two other varieties are superior as binding agents for stuff like tuna , egg salad, potato salad, etc. Extra-heavy is the best choice for use in creamy dressings and for browning meat.

I feel vaguely disappointed that Alton Brown never told me all this with props while dressed in a silly costume.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yup, that thread has definitely turned into "If you don't share our views on this you're the debbil." with at least a subset of the participants. Which pretty much happens to any thread bearing on it.

Remove ads