D&D 5E The imbalance of ASI levels in non-spellcasting classes

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I assume you are banning multiclassing.

Note that subclass features are supposed to fill some gaps for various classes; your decision to make that uniform causes issues.

Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard was using "gain a level of spells" as a "awesome level feature".

Mystack Aracnum is a level of spells.

Also you are missing Warlock invocations.

Yes, I would be banning multiclassing if I tried to implement this. As usual, for me, this is also an exercise in "could it work".

There are no issues with the subclasses as I see, especially when I am done. ;)

Yeah, i know the spellcasters getting spell is an awesome level feature, so anything I add will be helpful, but not an awesome feature. For instance, fighters and clerics both get more of the same sort of stuff. To me, that is fine and all, but sort of boring. I'm hoping to change that at the end.

Yep, Mystic Arcanum "are" spells, but they are also a feature so listed as such. And invocations are there at level 1. The new 10-level table would include the number, as in the current warlock table in the PHB. I DID forget Eldritch Master, however, but have updated my spreadsheet. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That looks pretty interesting, actually.
Thanks. I like the idea and it makes certain characters gain something at each and every level besides filling in gaps with ASI or subclass features.

This idea is also to remove ASIs, probably completely. Feats might still be awarded, I haven't decided yet to be honest. The proficiency progression will advance sufficiently so that boosting ability scores is not essential to remain competitive at higher levels.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Would you mind creating a thread of your own where we can see the development of these?

A note on druid, I'd give them elemental shapes a higher level maybe at 9th or 10th level.

Take some class features and change them into feats that you award as boon based on character development at higher level, like Epic Feats from older editions.

Shiroiken

Legend
If you look at the spellcasting classes, their spellcasting improves at every level, including the levels that get ASIs. Contrast that with the classes that don't cast spells: apart from the Monk getting Slow Fall at 4th level the non-spellcasters (Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Monk) don't get anything apart from ASIs at those levels.

Does this need correction?
Not really. The "spellcasting improves at every level" is a misnomer, because on even levels, the caster only gains 1 spell slot, and maybe a new cantrip. While on the level of an ASI, they gain slightly more than non-full casters, the benefit is fairly minor.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Would you mind creating a thread of your own where we can see the development of these?

A note on druid, I'd give them elemental shapes a higher level maybe at 9th or 10th level.

Take some class features and change them into feats that you award as boon based on character development at higher level, like Epic Feats from older editions.
I plan to, but it wasn't ready yet. I just presented the draft version of this for the OP to show that non-casters get quite a bit really.

It will be up eventually. I'll bookmark your comment to make sure you are aware of it when I start the new thread. Thanks for your interest.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been "compressing" the classes into 10 levels instead of 20, so casters gain access to new spell levels at every level (9th level spells at 9th level). Now, I am slowing down progression of course, so don't think that...

Side note -13th Age (a d20 game) already does 10 level and does some very interesting things with casters and upcasting. You may want to look at it for inspiration.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Side note -13th Age (a d20 game) already does 10 level and does some very interesting things with casters and upcasting. You may want to look at it for inspiration.
Thanks. I've looked into 13th Age and I am not a fan of it at a glance. In a lot of ways it seems more complex, but perhaps I just haven't given it a fair shot? I should have some time this afternoon so I might give it another look.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Perhaps you're forgetting the damage-dealing cantrips like Firebolt and Eldritch Blast?

The dirty little secret is, these things do mediocre damage. At even mid levels, you should not be using them. Not even EB with buffing stuff on them. They should be a last resort, or for easy encounters. They just don't keep up, in any meaingful way, with even ordinary attacks from fighter-types at those levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases