4E The Kolloseaum: Team Go Hard or Go Home (DM: Iron Sky, Judge: Luinnar)

Medina

Visitor
Corragan looks at the boxes and breifly considers his options. "A bird in the hand..." he mutters. "I'll keep these chests" he announces.

OOC: As I see it, Ignatz has done very well; assuming you change your three chests for chest 2 you've got 1k gold effective value, and only Rilissa can match that without a gamble.

OOC: For those of you who don't have the reference, here is the random treasure parcel for a level 1 character.

50% chance of 20-120 gp in coins
15% chance of 100-200 gp in gems
5% chance of an art object worth 250 gp
40% chance of a magic item of level 2-5.

So those of you thinking of trading in your chests, the probability that your new chest will be empty = (.5)(.85)(.95)(.6) = .242... or slightly more than 24%. That means there is better than a 75% chance your chest will contain something.

[sblock=Dina's Choice]
OOC: Dina would have to give up an empty chest and one containing 90gp to get a new one. Calculating her probability of at least breaking even...

Coins, 50% of the time her chest will contain no coins, and 26/36 times the coins she receives will be less than 90 gp.

If she gets the gems, art, or magic, she clearly ends up ahead of where she was.

So the probability she worse off is ((.5)+(.5)(26/36))(.85)(.95)(.6) = ~42%.

There is a ~5% chance of breaking even and thus a ~53% chance of ending up ahead.
[/sblock]

Looking at the entire display it appears that fortune would not necessarily favor me. Would I give up 90 pieces of gold for a chance at more?

After contemplating for a moment, she shakes her head.

No, the coin could help further my research. I shall be content with what I have chosen.

WEContact

Visitor
OOC: As I see it, Ignatz has done very well; assuming you change your three chests for chest 2 you've got 1k gold effective value, and only Rilissa can match that without a gamble.
OOC: There are no level 4 or 5 items that would be better than level 3 item for Ignatz, therefore the voucher is worth 680 gp for me.

Can we trade parcels, @Iron Sky ? If we can, and anyone would like to trade my L5 Voucher for gp greater than 680 OR a L3 Voucher+whatever gp you want to spare (I wouldn't mind trading for just the voucher), I'd be up or that.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot that I got a +1 Jade Ghost Orb from the tomb... Can I trade that for gp? No one in the party is proficient with orb implements.

Last edited:
OOC: Sha'kar only has about a 36% chance to end up worse off trading in the empty chest and 70gp chest for a new one, at almost 2/3 chance of same or better, I'm thinkin ima go for it.
Sha'kar examines the three chests before him, quite happy with the first one, but less so with the empty one and the 70 gold in the third. "I'm feeling lucky," he says. I think I can do better than 70 gp. I'll trade these two in for a new one!" He indicates chests 3 and 4.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
If we toss two to roll for a new one, and we don't like the new one, can we then toss all three to pick one of the ones we didn't choose?
GM: If you toss 2 to get 1, you'll be left with only 2 and therefor won't have enough to trade 3 for 1. You could toss the 2 you have left for a new one, but you won't have much left...

Also, I shouldn't have called the Jade Ghost Orb an Orb. It's technically a Wonderous Item. You can, however, sell it for the usual 1/5 after the adventure is over if you don't want it.

Once you have finalized your selections, you can trade the parcels between each other however you want (or don't want as the case may be).

[sblock=Inside Sha'kar's new chest]80gp![/sblock]

Last edited:
Sha'kar watches as a new chest is brought out before him and opened to reveal 80 gold pieces. He nods his head at the slight increase over what he had before, then walks to the chests and claims his prizes.

WEContact

Visitor
OOC: Oh! I'm dumb, of course I can't trade two chests for an unchosen one. :p. Last question: Is the Jade Ghost Orb a Common item? RC 278 says only common items sell for 1/5 value.

EDIT: For real last question: Are there any items that the Kolloseaum Magical Emporium does not have in stock?

Ignatz cocks his head quizzically. The chests he'd opened were either empty or nearly empty, and the the two he hadn't chosen were too. When invited, Ignatz takes a closer look at the last two chests, and in one he finds a small, official-looking scrap of parchment. "Oho!" he exclaims as his eyes follow the small script. "Hokay, Mister Announcer-guy, dot makes op for dot nasty trick earlier, hy tink." He abandons the chests he chose without a second thought, and grabs the chest with the voucher. "Hy chooze dis vun!" he hollers, grinning.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Oh! I'm dumb, of course I can't trade two chests for an unchosen one. :p. Last question: Is the Jade Ghost Orb a Common item? RC 278 says only common items sell for 1/5 value.

EDIT: For real last question: Are there any items that the Kolloseaum Magical Emporium does not have in stock?
GM: I'm not super savvy on the rarity rules (I thought L4W isn't using rarity?) Regardless, the Jade Ghost Orb sells at 1/5.

As we're not playing with rarity (AFAIK) you can get anything up to the value of your voucher at the Kolloseaum. Just let me know what you are getting so I can put it in the final rewards thingy that the judge approves.

Figure out your purchases and we'll wrap this thing up.

"This will do wonderfully. I've been wanting a new crossbow for some time now," says Sha'kar.

OOC: I'm thinking a Point Blank Repeating Crossbow +1 looks nice (Level 3, adventurer's vault).

Medina

Visitor
OOC: [MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION] While I haven't quite decided how I want Corragan to progress, I suspect I'm going to want Claw Gloves (one of the AV's), which I think are level 4. If you still want to trade I suspect we can come to some arrangement so we both come out on top. I've just got to work so I'll need to look at the books when I get home tonight.

WEContact

Visitor
OOC: @WEContact While I haven't quite decided how I want Corragan to progress, I suspect I'm going to want Claw Gloves (one of the AV's), which I think are level 4. If you still want to trade I suspect we can come to some arrangement so we both come out on top. I've just got to work so I'll need to look at the books when I get home tonight.
OOC: If you gave me 750 gp for the L5 Voucher and then spent it on a L4 item, you'd save 90 gp and I'd gain 70 gp, which sounds great to me. If you decide on a L5 item and you decide to pay all 800 gp for the Voucher you still save 200 gp, and it'd make me very happy, but I don't see any L5 items that are as good for Druids as claw gloves.

Medina

Visitor
OOC: If you gave me 750 gp for the L5 Voucher and then spent it on a L4 item, you'd save 90 gp and I'd gain 70 gp, which sounds great to me. If you decide on a L5 item and you decide to pay all 800 gp for the Voucher you still save 200 gp, and it'd make me very happy, but I don't see any L5 items that are as good for Druids as claw gloves.
OOC: Works for me. Why don't we call it 760 gold, and split the difference 50/50

WEContact

Visitor
OOC: Great! It's a deal.

So, Ignatz swaps his Voucher for 760 gp, and then spends 680 of it on a +1 Carnage Gouge, leaving him with an additional 80 gp.

Medina

Visitor
OOC: And to confirm, Corragan takes his (effective) 800 gold, gives 760 to Ignatz for his voucher, and uses the voucher on Claw Gloves, leaving him an additional 40 gold

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: Please finish/finalize any purchases by tonight. I'll post the final awards and wrap up the adventure then.

WEContact

Visitor
GM: Please finish/finalize any purchases by tonight. I'll post the final awards and wrap up the adventure then.
OOC: I think everyone has already chosen what they want to spend their vouchers on. Is there something else I should do so that you won't be waiting on me tonight?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The crowd cheers the group all the way out of the arena. After a quick stop by the Emporium to spend their vouchers, the group suddenly finds themselves on a ferry and within an hour of their climactic battle are standing back in the streets of Daunton outside the Hanged Man...

GM: Final notes: Fight 1 should have had less minions. Hard to do with level 1 party though, if they were level 3, I could have just used a horde of level 1s to make it harder. Of course, I was rolling crappy (I think 5 of the goblins died tripping and falling into the boiling harbor) which didn't help.

"Fight" 2 was fun even if the traps could barely hit anything.

Fight 3 → Frogs suck. Should have picked monsters that were less lame. Was in a hurry when I put it together though and just threw the frogs and ape in after carefully picking the wilden. At least I didn't have you guys fight that beholder like I was originally thinking...

Last, x2 "To the Death" xp multiplier was waaay to high, especially since it had no hard mechanical effect aside from making the traps a bit harder and throwing in the "twist" at the end of round 3. In retrospect, I shouldn't have allowed the Octo-shark blasting given that To the Death was in effect. As crazy busy as RL has been the last couple weeks, I was a bit out of it though; don't think I've gotten more than 6 hours of sleep a night in the last week or more.

Can't do much if the dice are cold though. The other arena team is having a much harder go of it, but then 9 level 5.3 players gives you much more room to work with. :)

Thanks for playing guys! Good luck with your future adventures.

[sblock=Treasure]Time GP: October 4 to December 8 = 66 days. (66 / 365) * 756gp = 137gp.

Total:
Corragan: Claw Gloves(Level 3), 177gp.
Ignatz: +1 Carnage Gouge(Level 3), Talisman of the Jade Ghost(Level 1), 217gp
Dina: +1 Chieftain's Longspear(Level 3), 287gp
Rilissa: +1 Longsword of Defense(Level 3), +1 Cloak of Resistance(Level 2), 137gp
Sha'kar: +1 Point Blank Repeating Crossbow(Level 3), 217p[/sblock]

[sblock=XP]Time XP: October 4 to December 8 = 66 days. (66 / 365) * 1000xp = 181xp.

Match 1:
Goblin Warmonger Rikroc: Level 4 Artillery(Leader) → 175xp
Goblin Sorcerer: Level 3 Controller: 150xp x 2 → 300xp
Goblin Sniper: Level 1 Artillery: 25xp x 4 → 100xp
Goblin Assaulter: Level 1 Brute: 25xp x 8 → 200xp
Goblin Shield Bearer: Level 1 Soldier: 25xp x 8 → 200xp
Minor Hazard: +100xp
Total: 1075xp x 2 (To the Death) = 2150xp

Match 2:
Motley Collection of Traps → 750xp
Extreme Hazard: +300xp
Total: 1050xp x 2 (To the Death) = 2100xp