The Logic of Panic Buying

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I posted a link few days ago.

If everyone had a 500ml bottle the world can produce 1/1000 if what's needed.

2 litre bottle is 1/4000

So basically the supermarkets won't be able to restock.
The point is, since most people are stuck at home, odds are good they don‘t need the sanitizer at all. They should be using soap & water- the superior tool for the job- instead.

The people who NEED it are the first responders and healthcare workers, and those “essential personnel” without easy access to soap & water. If they & their employers were the only buyers, there wouldn’t be a shortage,

When I said we go through @2L a year, that’s mostly because of houseguests. I haven’t used any of ours in years, except when the water was turned off during a plumbing repair. I haven’t seen anyone else in the family use it either. IOW, we buy it mainly as a convenience for others, not for our personal use.

Zardnaar

Legend
The point is, since most people are stuck at home, odds are good they don‘t need the sanitizer at all. They should be using soap & water- the superior tool for the job- instead.

The people who NEED it are the first responders and healthcare workers, and those “essential personnel” without easy access to soap & water. If they & their employers were the only buyers, there wouldn’t be a shortage,

When I said we go through @2L a year, that’s mostly because of houseguests. I haven’t used any of ours in years, except when the water was turned off during a plumbing repair. I haven’t seen anyone else in the family use it either. IOW, we buy it mainly as a convenience for others, not for our personal use.

Well it's not going to the supermarkets now. Or if it is it's for the staff.

Wife came home with two small bags of flour via her job today. We didn't panic buy 50kg of it.

tommybahama

Adventurer
I was given a couple of very small bottles (like a couple ounces at most) of nice smelling hand sanitizer about a year ago. They are so small they will fit in a pocket. They are great to take to the grocery store so you can do things like sanitize your hands before getting back into the car. I refill them using a bigger bottle at home.

Also, when SHTF, alcohol is money. So stock up on that if you have room next to your hoard of TP.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was given a couple of very small bottles (like a couple ounces at most) of nice smelling hand sanitizer about a year ago. They are so small they will fit in a pocket. They are great to take to the grocery store so you can do things like sanitize your hands before getting back into the car. I refill them using a bigger bottle at home.

Also, when SHTF, alcohol is money. So stock up on that if you have room next to your hoard of TP.

That's what the wife does. Uses little bottle at work, refills from 500ml.

Not to worried about booze that will keep flowing, two breweries locally.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's what the wife does. Uses little bottle at work, refills from 500ml.

Not to worried about booze that will keep flowing, two breweries locally.
Well...unless they do wat a lot seem to be doing lately, namely, switching to producing hand sanitizer!

We aren’t heavy drinkers, but we like alcoholic beverages. We probably have enough on hand to last our family through a second Prohibition.

...if we don’t share, of course. 😂

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Because I dont eat bread and have a good garden, Im finding the whole panic buying situation really really amusing. Especially with what people are considering to be important staples (bread, flour, rice, toilet paper and dettol)

My wife and I did order in about 10ltrs of Isopropyl to make our own sanitiser and we she did go a bit overboard on eggs (4 trays of 30).

Its late autumn now though, so although Ive harvested ample fruit and vege for now, I am concerned about vegetable supply over winter

Zardnaar

Legend
Well...unless they do wat a lot seem to be doing lately, namely, switching to producing hand sanitizer!

We aren’t heavy drinkers, but we like alcoholic beverages. We probably have enough on hand to last our family through a second Prohibition.

...if we don’t share, of course. 😂

I like alcohol as well, but don't drink a lot and haven't been sloshed since new year. Drunk 3 or 4 cans of Baltika 9 sobered up in February (maybe lying).

My favorite restaurant does $3 craft beers during happy hour. 3 of those ranging from 5.8 to 6.8 abv gives you a nice buzz no hangover.

Bought 4 cans of Zatecky Gus last night. They've another few days in isolation before I consume one.

Think I got drunk three times last year, one of the was DMing. Players were drinking as well, critical hits were consume thy vessel.

Game kinda fell apart that night for some strange reason.

Zardnaar

Legend
Because I dont eat bread and have a good garden, Im finding the whole panic buying situation really really amusing. Especially with what people are considering to be important staples (bread, flour, rice, toilet paper and dettol)

My wife and I did order in about 10ltrs of Isopropyl to make our own sanitiser and we she did go a bit overboard on eggs (4 trays of 30).

Its late autumn now though, so although Ive harvested ample fruit and vege for now, I am concerned about vegetable supply over winter

What makes me laugh is people who buy flour and can't do anything with it.

I'm not the best cook in the world but can make cakes, pancakes, bread.

Ryujin

Legend
We typically buy based on sales, so have 3-4 weeks of staples on hand at any given time anyway. Toilet paper, in particular, varies wildly in price and we haven't had to buy any in a month or more (and have weeks of stock left), based just on our normal buying practices.

Canned goods are a bit lower than usual. Rice, spaghetti, flour, etc. we've plenty of. Just being generally frugal goes a long way in situations like this.

Remove ads