The Logic of Panic Buying

Didn't they just leave dough out over night and bake it?

Has buying bread become hard?

We've got a little bit of yeast only planning in baking bread if things get bad and we don't want to leave the house at all.
Some sourdough recipes call for that, but that is only once you have the starter to begin with. If you need to start completely from scratch, starter takes about 5 days -- and that isn't counting the bread itself.

Zardnaar

Legend
Some sourdough recipes call for that, but that is only once you have the starter to begin with. If you need to start completely from scratch, starter takes about 5 days -- and that isn't counting the bread itself.

Yeah I only found out what a starter was a few days ago.

Sour dough hasn't gone completely mad here but pizzas are doing it. Pizza Hutt makes nice ones and we had a frozen pizza one the other night.

Hipster cafes might be different but I don't really go to normal cafes let alone hipster ones.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Our recipe uses potato water as a base and the ferment usually only takes a day or so in warm weather, maybe 3-5 in cold conditions. Of course when using an existing bug, its quicker.

Growing up my grandparents lived near some geothermal pools, my grandmother and mother use to cook our bread in the steam vents, it was delicious

Zardnaar

Legend
Our recipe uses potato water as a base and the ferment usually only takes a day or so in warm weather, maybe 3-5 in cold conditions. Of course when using an existing bug, its quicker.

Growing up my grandparents lived near some geothermal pools, my grandmother and mother use to cook our bread in the steam vents, it was delicious

Maori here used to do something similar.

They also cook via a hangi which is a hole in the ground and the food is buried and steam cooked.

Haven't prepped a hangi for 20 years but child hood memories of Scouts, hobbo stoves and collecting shellfish are coming back.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hipster? I have been baking bread since I was 9 years old. And right now, I am glad of that, because I know how to feed my family.

So, folks, what do you do when two people in the same thread blunder smack dab into the middle of the same joke without noticing? It seems... unsporting...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Repetition and trauma are two primary modes of learning. This achieves both.
I remember one of my college Philosphy profs got paged in the middle of a lecture that his wife was in labor. He made the announcement and rushed off- class over!

Next week, he shows up and he’s still in early stage of daddy daze (smiles + sleep deprivation + proud poppa, etc.) and answering questions about his little firstborn girl for the first 10+ minutes of class. Then he gets up, walks to the chalkboard and says, “Back to our discussion of PAIN!”

I turned to my buddy, “That little girl is going to grow up messed up.”

Mad_Jack

Legend
This week we've managed to get some meat and TP back in the stores, but canned veggibles seem to be the trending item for #not-there-anymore...

Also, a week ago, there was still a full section of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer at the local Stop & Shop, but now it's all gone. It really is the End of The World, I guess...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Relevant to the sourdough discussion....

sourdough_starter.png

Remove ads